Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

WILL THE 250 PRO XS FOUR STROKE RUN WITH A 250 PRO XS

KEEP HEARING HORROR STORIES OF THE NEW FOUR STROKE BEING 3-6 MPH SLOWER , AND THAT THE FOUR STROKE IS FINICKY AT BEST TO GET PERFORMANCE OUT OF AND NEED TO BE SET UP BY A LAPTOP. need some straight answers please

2. Banned
    THINKING I JUST F----- UP JUST SOLD A 2018 TWO STROKE 250 PRO XS THAT RAN 77-78 ON A PUMA AT 5980 RPM TURNING A 25 PITCH fURY. . Looking at a 20 model 250 por xs now very concerned it might be a dog. HELP

3. Member
    My 2019 puma ftd 250 pro four stroke has been touching 79 mph @ 6050 - 6100 . Manual plate , poles , 36 volt , full fuel , one person , medium tackle load etc. . Time will tell !

4. Banned
    thanks Madgaffer mind me asking what prop you run please

5. Member
    My 2016 Cougar was re-powered with the 250 four stroke. It will run just shy of 79 (at 6100 RPM) with 4 AGM batteries, 2 power poles, and all my normal tackle. 24p Fury 3 blade worked by Ronnie Gilbert.

I don't know what it ran with the 2 stroke. It was re-powered before I bought it - but there's some numbers to compare in case someone else has the same setup with the 2 stroke.
    2023 Puma STS

6. Member
    24 fury 3 stock .

That is not what we have found. The Four Stroke Pro XS version we find running just slightly behind the two stroke in most cases. In a fair percentage of instances we have seen performance actually improve for some previous owners. It mostly depends on the age of the products. A lot of that has to do with the amount of options on older rigs and more options on newer rigs. Those options add weight that a 2010 model year boat may not have had. Power Poles were a seldom found item on consumer boats in 2007-2014. Today many boats have them and they weigh a lot. Add on larger graphs, bigger boats and more items and you have a significant variable that extends itself beyond the motor.

We were directly involved with the testing on this original Pro XS development. The boat we used was an Eyra with a 250 Pro XS 2 Stroke, which we moved several four stroke engines to, and we also moved a direct competitors popular four stroke to. That boat has a significant amount of testing done and data analysis that was extremely high level. We saw improved mid range and bottom end performance, slightly less fuel mileage and we saw an insignificant decrease in top end performance. Throughout the testing details were reviewed and they dispute the 6-8 MPH loss that you indicate.

We think the only similar level of comparison would be doing an engine only swap and comparing these both setup and loaded similarly. You also have to be sure both are propped correctly for their styles of engines and loads. We have done that and we dispute the claims of speed loss.

We have yet to require setup on a laptop that is special, though they do require computers initially.

8. Banned
    Thank you gentlemen i really appreciate you taking the time to answer. I really like my 2010 Puma FTD . I am having a 20 model 250 pro xs installed on the cat tomorrow. Was concerned i made a mistake. Thank you especially BCB for your input

9. Member
    I have ran many 250 pro xs 2s and I think the 4s is an awesome motor. I cannot take anything away from the 2s. It a proven great motor. But the 4s imo will make you forget about the 2s. May be different on props sometimes the 4s will want a different prop. But it will run good! Good luck

10. Member
    A buddy of mine has a 19 model Pantera Classic. His boat is loaded is loaded pretty much like mine minus the passenger console. We do horn blast off for tournaments.
    We were beside each other intentionally. At the horn we both hammered down. My PII launched quicker which I expected. After, he stayed right behind me all the way to 72 mph.

His engine had very little hours on it. Personally I believe his hole shot and mid range will improve as it gets a little more time on the motor.
    I don't see any loss in top end on the 4 stroke. Personally I wish I had one on my PII. It would be one serious rocket from hole shot to 65 mph.
    I think had he been in an identical PII he would have pulled me in hole shot and mid range. Top end would have been identical and I would not have caught him.

Don
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

We think the only similar level of comparison would be doing an engine only swap and comparing these both setup and loaded similarly. You also have to be sure both are propped correctly for their styles of engines and loads. We have done that and we dispute the claims of speed loss.

Lots of bad publicity from people who have not taken the time to set the V8 motors up to reach there full potential. Odds are if you slap your old prop on and go your going to be disappointed. Some are taking a TOTALY different setup to take advantage of the V8. Also keep in mind there are still some dealers out there who don't know how to set the throttles to achieve 100% .. Thats where some of that 6-8 MPH loss is comming from.

The Fast Bass crew has documented a ton of information and found it's possible to achieve better numbers from top to bottom with the 300R over the 300XS on the 21 ft Allison's.

Quote Originally Posted by fredcarl View Post
    Thank you gentlemen i really appreciate you taking the time to answer. I really like my 2010 Puma FTD . I am having a 20 model 250 pro xs installed on the cat tomorrow. Was concerned i made a mistake. Thank you especially BCB for your input
    if you find you don’t like I’ll trade for my 2017 Optimax with Platinum Warranty TIL 9/2024
    Bass Cat Caracal STS / Mercury 300 ProXS
    Jayco Northpoint 377 RLBH
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

13. Mississippi River Rat Kittycat2012's Avatar
    I’ve had 9 Pumas and now in an EYRA. All 250 Pro Xs. The 2019 puma and the 2020 Eyra were 4 stroke. They will most certainly run with a 2 stroke from what I’ve seen. I also run props exclusively that have been worked by Ronnie Gilbert which has always given me gains on the low end and top. FWIW to the original poster my 2018 2 stroke was very slow as were other guys I know who have run multiple year engines.
    2023 Basscat Eyra
    Mercury pro team - Humminbird - Bobs - Power Pole - Garmin
    Hammer Rods
    The Tackle Trap

http://www.hammerrods.com/
    http://tackletrap.com/

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fredcarl View Post
    THINKING I JUST F----- UP JUST SOLD A 2018 TWO STROKE 250 PRO XS THAT RAN 77-78 ON A PUMA AT 5980 RPM TURNING A 25 PITCH fURY. . Looking at a 20 model 250 por xs now very concerned it might be a dog. HELP
    The 18 ProXS 2 strokes motors were detuned is what several Merc. mechanics have told me .The new 4 strokes speed should be about the same as your 18 did on top end but will have better mid range power. My last Cougar was a 14 model ran 82.5 with a 2 stroke Pro Xs. before they were detuned.

I got to say something. I run an older 521 Ranger, but have had an interest in BCB’s. I don’t know if it’s Rick from BassCat that does the posting or someone else from there. I for one appreciate their input. I’ve never read anything but what I believe to be 100% truth, be it good or bad. I hang out on most of the other manufactures pages trying to learn from everyone. There is lots of BS spread other places I’m sure you guys know. Thanks BCB for always telling it like it is. Larry
    There’s no use being stupid if you’re not willing to show it off.

I went to tour the Basscat factory recently, when Rick Pierce takes half the day to explain the build process you cannot put a price tag on that!

Quote Originally Posted by high 2 View Post
    I got to say something. I don’t know if it’s Rick from BassCat that does the posting or someone else from there. I for one appreciate their input. I’ve never read anything but what I believe to be 100% truth, be it good or bad. I hang out on most of the other manufactures pages trying to learn from everyone. There is lots of BS spread other places I’m sure you guys know.
    My thoughts also.. When (whomever) it is, puts it in print. I feel it's legit..

Curious as to what you are looking for in writing.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Steel View Post
    Curious as to what you are looking for in writing.
    Is this a question ?
    To whom ?

I guess you Lt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast