Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

ARRGHHH! Lost my boat keys!

Anyone know how or where to get replacement keys for ignition and all the lockers on my boat? Been looking for hours and I think I may have left them on the bumper accidentally. I have an '08 Nitro Z9. Any help would be much appreciated.

2. Member
    left on bumper?? I did that at the end of last season. I found them 1/4 mile up the road laying in my lane after I got back and went to unhook trailer.
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

3. Member
    Spare truck key in boat and vice versa. Dealer should be able to help you out.

4. Member
    What ignition switch does it have? My 2008 40hp Mercury 4 Stroke had like 12 possibilities, I bought every one and found the one that fit and worked for less than BPS wanted to even look at it. My ignition was from Mercury (Mercruiser?) and the keys were like $3 each.

Can't help you with the locker part though. Maybe fiind out who makes the lockable latch? They all keyed the same I think.

5. Banned
    Take the engine serial number to the dealer they should have the ignition key in stock... Compartment keys may be just a tad hard to find but someone should have them in stock also... Dan

6. Banned
    I知 not even sure my key will come out of the ignition. Lol.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by catch5 View Post
    I知 not even sure my key will come out of the ignition. Lol.
    yep, I知 on my fifth boat, never have taken the Keys out of ignition....ever. That said I have a spare ignition key and compartment keys I keep at home. I can稚 imagine not having spares.

8. Member
    compartment keys call or take boat to a locksmith they can make you a key.
    Ignition key dealer should be able to help you.

No help with your engine serial number. Controls are not associated with it. If you look on the ign switch by where the key goes in itll have a number. Your mercury dealer will have that key in stock. As far as your compartments- same thing. On the chrome cover where you stick the key in just get that number and either get that key from the net or your dealer as well. You can type in “perko key XXXX” and get a ring full of them.

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alli ss View Post
    No help with your engine serial number. Controls are not associated with it. If you look on the ign switch by where the key goes in itll have a number. Your mercury dealer will have that key in stock. As far as your compartments- same thing. On the chrome cover where you stick the key in just get that number and either get that key from the net or your dealer as well. You can type in “perko key XXXX” and get a ring full of them.

this!!
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

11. Member
    I had the same thing happen a few months ago. The key comes from Mercury. Bass Pro or other dealer can get you a key through Mercury. Sometimes Bass Pro will have spare keys in there parts department. For Perko keys you need to call Perko. They will want I.D. proof, proof of ownership (copy of Title), and only take a check as payment. Nitro's usually come with two keys. If you have the other key; there is a number stamped on the key. Also a number stamped on the Perko key.

12. Member
    Post the Perko numbers on here and you can probably get some help. I know I've got extras.

13. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    After going through something similar years ago, I just resolved to never lay keys down except in their designated spot. Boat keys are never anywhere but in the ignition or in the glovebox unless they are in my pocket. All my trailer lock keys stay in the left side of the truck glovebox except when I’m parked at the ramp, and I keep them in my hand from the time I get them out until I put them away. Too easy to lay them on the bumper while getting things connected and then forget them.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

14. Member
    I keep the extra ignition key and lock keys on a peg at home, if I lose them there is my spare set.

15. Member
    I bought a new bought in 06 and ordered with a key instead of a pad . Salesman suggested gluing the key in because of people losing them, Current boat I only have one key But dont like leaving in ignition.

16. HYDRA SPORT LS205 225HO JER-1 BIG BASS's Avatar
    Boat key stays in ignition, and there’s a spare buried in all that fishing stuff somewhere.
    I only take key out when traveling and staying overnight on fishing trips, my thinking kids prank, just steal the key.
    extra locker keys in glove box truck, extra gas lock key in glove box, extra hitch keys in glove box.

17. Member
    UPDATE:
    Thanks for the tips guys. Went to my local dealership and they keep a bunch of extra new and used key for this exact reason. Apparently they see this at least twice a day. Using everyone's suggestions, I'll be keeping spares in different locations. Lesson learned. Thanks again!