Question Padded front deck and carpet

I’m replacing my front carpet with a padded front deck and re-carpeting. Aluminum boat. What glue do you recommend? Also what padding? Im getting carpet from the manufacturer of my boat.

2. Member
    Wellwood glue. Its contact cement. It sets up fast so very little play. I started out using the regular carpet glue and it took WAY to long. After you glue the padding to your hatch lids. MAKE sure you cut the padding on a 45 degree angle along the edges. I got my padding at bassboatseats.com

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MJMJ View Post
    Wellwood glue. Its contact cement. It sets up fast so very little play. I started out using the regular carpet glue and it took WAY to long. After you glue the padding to your hatch lids. MAKE sure you cut the padding on a 45 degree angle along the edges. I got my padding at bassboatseats.com
    Did you put the contact glue on both surfaces (foam and deck) before laying it down or only one?

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mastergun View Post
    Did you put the contact glue on both surfaces (foam and deck) before laying it down or only one?
    Put glue on the deck and on the foam wait a few mins then stick them together. Do the same with the carpet. It’s contact cement so both surfaces need glue
    Gun Control..... Is hitting your target every time

5. Member
    Depending on temp, you don't have to wait 3 minutes, 60-75 maybe a minute. You wait to long and you will have to spray more glue, you want it tacky.
    2023 SCB 20EF
    2023 SCB CC 210LR

6. Member
    It’s contact glue you can leave it seat for a few hrs and it will stick.
    Gun Control..... Is hitting your target every time

7. Member
    when you put the padding on the shiny side goes down. most materials can be bought a harbor freight. change your blades often (you'll know when) when doing large areas, dont try to do it all at one time. i would coat haf the carpet and half the front deck. fold the carpet in half and place on the boat. glue the other half, glue the boat and then lay it down. Most IMPORTANT thing is the carpet should always go in the same direction. When you get your carpet, unroll it with the rubber side up. take a sharpie and draw arrows on it everywhere. if u cover a hole, by accident, you can use a needle to find it. once you find it use a soddering gun or heat up a nail and push through the hole.