Question Point one mounting suggestions

I'm installing a point one antenna and am wanting suggestions as to where to mount it. Behind the drivers seat or could I mount it on the console in front of the windshield? TIA, Bruce
    Bruce Theriot
    2003 Champion 196 Elite
    200 Mercury Opti max
    25 Tempest A45

2. Member
    I would not mount it anywhere where it does not have a full 360* view of the sky (satellites). I originally mounted my P-1 just to the right of the driver console. In that position I would get off and on GPS. Moved it to the right rear deck, on the gunnel, all is good there.

You can always mount it with some double sided tape, temporary, until you find the right spot for a fixed mount.
    Ed R.

2006 ChampioN 198 225 Optimax

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed R View Post
    I would not mount it anywhere where it does not have a full 360* view of the sky (satellites). I originally mounted my P-1 just to the right of the driver console. In that position I would get off and on GPS. Moved it to the right rear deck, on the gunnel, all is good there.

You can always mount it with some double sided tape, temporary, until you find the right spot for a fixed mount.
    Ed, thanks for the input. Could you post a pic?
    Bruce Theriot
    2003 Champion 196 Elite
    200 Mercury Opti max
    25 Tempest A45

4. Member
    Bruce, this the only picture I could find. Grandson driving, just over his left shoulder on the gunnel.

Logan Newfound.jpg
    Ed R.

Use 3M double sided tape to place it to make sure it works fine. You can mount it later or just leave it attached with the tape.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

6. Member
    Bruce, this the only picture I could find. Grandson driving, just over his left shoulder on the gunnel.

Logan Newfound.jpg
    Thanks for the pic. I like that location.
    Bruce Theriot
    2003 Champion 196 Elite
    200 Mercury Opti max
    25 Tempest A45

7. Member
    Mine is mounted on top of the gas tank, center line of the boat, under the deck, works fine and is close to the 2d transducer for accurate reading.

8. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Ed, have you had any issues with it there? The instructions say to mount it at least 0.5 meter from any magnetic field.

9. Member
    [QUOTE=Tx Champ;10876540]Ed, have you had any issues with it there? The instructions say to mount it at least 0.5 meter from any magnetic field.[/QUOT

Reggie, no, never a problem. I remember when I mounted it I was aware of the .05 meter magnetic field. I mounted it there temporarily, vertically inline with my 2D transducer. Several trips to the lake, no problems. So I mounted it there permanent. I lose track of time, but I'd guess it's been in that location for 7-8 years, still good. I do have a 10" JP, so I'm guessing it's about 12" vs the recommended 19.5" from where ever that field sets up around the engine. I checked it with a compass as well, never did get the compass needle to very from magnetic north in that position either.
    Ed R.

10. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Good to hear! I haven't mounted mine yet ... internal conflict between rear gunwale or up front

11. Member
    Yeah, this fishing stuff gets hard. I mark most of my waypoints from the console. So the HDS console uses the point 1 as a Heading and a Location sensor. At the bow I use the point 1 as Heading only, and the bow HDS internal antenna as Location.

If I mark a spot from the bow, I add a "B" to that waypoint so I know it was marked from the bow. So, waypoints from the bow "B" if I'm on the trolling motor are right under the trolling motor. All other waypoints are 20' behind me. Or I can set the range rings to 25' and fish the console marked waypoint from 20' away, which means I am right on that waypoint.
    Ed R.

12. Member
    Yeah, this fishing stuff gets hard. I mark most of my waypoints from the console. So the HDS console uses the point 1 as a Heading and a Location sensor. At the bow I use the point 1 as Heading only, and the bow HDS internal antenna as Location.

If I mark a spot from the bow, I add a "B" to that waypoint so I know it was marked from the bow. So, waypoints from the bow "B" if I'm on the trolling motor are right under the trolling motor. All other waypoints are 20' behind me. Or I can set the range rings to 25' and fish the console marked waypoint from 20' away, which means I am right on that waypoint.
    Waypoints don't know which antennae you used to place them. I don't think they are 20 feet behind you, if it seems that way it just the position error you get.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Danbleume View Post
    Waypoints don't know which antennae you used to place them. I don't think they are 20 feet behind you, if it seems that way it just the position error you get.
    True enough. Lets just say if you are using the bow trolling motor transducer to mark a spot, you can't use a transom mounted external antenna for the GPS coordinates.
    Ed R.

14. Member
    GPS coordinates are specific spot, doesn't matter about how you marked it, your boat, my boat, front unit, back unit etc. What matters is that to you are using the closest unit to approach it, hence the bow, when that is the current GPS source.

15. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Danbleume View Post
    I've got a LGC-4000 mounted about where Ed's Point 1 is and have it assigned to my HDS units in dash (HDS-7) and at the console (HDS-12 Gen 3) for setting waypoints as I drive. It's right in between the imaging and 2D transducers with the 2D being in the bilge. The bow unit is using its internal GPS. Thought if I put the Point 1 on the bow I could assign it to the bow unit and to the navigation for the HDS-12