Throttle Cables - Mercury quicksilver

Two years ago, after some maintenance service was completed on my ranger, I was told that the throttle cables would need replacing down the road. There have been a few instances where the throttle stuck on me while on plane at near max RPMs. I've had to pull the kill switch and physically finagle the throttle arm back into it's normal range of motion. I know this is not a cheap job. Is there anything I can do to 'lubricate' or extend the 'down-the-road' time frame? Or, should I just bite the bullet, spend the big $$, get it serviced, and end up waiting a month for my boat? Thanks. Boat info. below....

2005 Ranger 185vx - Tournament Edition - Comanche Series

Mercury 175L OPTI serial number 1b424986 Sep 2006

2. Member
    It’s a very bad idea to try to lube it up,they bind up usually due to rust inside the cable. That scrapes away at the innner cable,one day you’re going to pull back on it and the cable will break. Better to bite the bullet now before it gets worse.

You're about to be STRANDED somewhere more than likely away from the ramp !! If you have binding now, now is the time to get it changed. Not sure of the cost, but you really should have it done before your next trip to the lake. AND while it's in the shop, I'd change the transmission (Shift) cable too !! It's the same age and probably getting bad also. You'll save some money over doing them separately !
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

4. Member
    I was afraid of that. Thanks for the advice. Has anyone dealt with this issue? Can you remember how often it would 'bind up'? This only happened to me 2-3 times. I'd like to get out to the River this weekend before I make an appointment with Thayers or Reynolds. Is it worth the risk? It hasn't done that since last summer.
    Last edited by n8cas; 02-20-2020 at 07:11 AM.