Rt198 smartcraft guage question

For anyone that has added a smartcraft guage. If I install one. Let's say the tachometer. Will it show fuel usage. Water pressure, speed. If so do the other analog speed water pressure and fuel guages that come on the boat still work? 2020 optimax 150 pro xs.

2. Member
    Second question.
    Can you have a smart guage and use the vessel view mobile?

3. Member
    Boat is being built. Dont have the motor serial number yet.

First of all, I have to ask as the "optimax 150 pro xs" aka 2 stoke motor is not being built in 2020. It was discontinued in 2018 (IIRC). The 2020 150 ProXS is a 4 stroke motor. This is why serial numbers are required to know EXACTY what motor you have or in this case, buying. Also, are you buying Lowrance or Humminbird graphs?

For either motor, a Level 1 Mercmonitor will show you fuel used and RPM. Either motor will need a water pressure sensor installed in order to see water pressure. The 2 stroke has it and the it can be added to the 4 stroke for cheap. The opposite is true for the digital trim sender. The 2 stroke does not have it but can be added while the 4 stroke has it.

The Smartcraft network is very capable. If I were you, I would get a Level 1 Mercmonitor or if you are using Lowrance graphs, the Vessel View Link. If you have one of these, there is no need for the mobile version.

Here is a link for you to read about the Smartcraft System. My best advice I can give you is read the thread below and let us know what you want from your dash panel as far as graphs and instrumentation go. We can help more once we know that info.

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=894952

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

You can still use all the analog gauges as the Mercmonitor data comes from the ECU. Also, I would HIGHLY recommend getting Systemlink gauges vice staying with the old analog gauges.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal

6. Member
    Sorry. New 2020 150 pro xs 4 stroke is correct. I am using humminbird electronics. Ranger doesnt have smart guages as an option so I'm trying to figure out what I would need. Ie. Cool setup but reasonable. Not much help out there online that I could find, some of which is likely false.

7. Member
    Someone said the mercmonitor has a plastic lens and the sc1000 guages are glass. Is that true info?

8. Member
    The boat comes with 1 large size speedometer. 1 large size tachometer, small fuel and a small water pressure guage all analog. What would be a cool setup to replace some of those? Opinions welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Fairgame View Post
    Someone said the mercmonitor has a plastic lens and the sc1000 guages are glass. Is that true info?
    The Level 1 and higher MMs are glass the same as the SC1000 Tach/Speedo. The basic (Level 0) were not. The basic is no longer made.

If it were me, I would get the Level 1 Mercmonitor in place of the Tach. It will give you RPM, Water Pressure and Engine (Coolant) Temperature all on one screen. If you must have a Speedometer, I would have a Systemlink GPS Speedometer. You will have to use the NMEA0183 output from your Hummindird at the console to feed the Smartcraft instruments. It is not hard and the dealer should be able to rig it quickly and easily. My latest boat does not even have a speedometer so you can just not have one installed. Unless it is GPS, it will not be accurate anyway. To finish it out, I would have a small Systemlink trim gauge and the regular analog fuel gauge.

In the future or now if you desire, you can have the Fuel/Paddle wheel harness installed with a Smartcraft Fuel gauge. This along with the NMEA0183 input will allow your Mercmonitor to give you range, efficiency calculations and really bring the full power of a Smartcraft network to your rig.

Here was one I started from scratch on and installed everything myself. It is a Level 1 MM, Systemlink gauges for fuel (2 tanks) and trim plus a GPS Speedo. On this boat, I had a NMEA2000 network with a Lowrance Point 1 antenna that provided GPS inputs to the Smartcraft network.

IMG_1433.jpg

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal

10. Member
    Can I put an sc1000 tach next to a sc1000 speedometer and watch different data on each one while still having my analog fuel and psi work?

11. Member
    Just saw your message above mine. So maybe just one mercmonitor would do it.

12. Member
    Definately would want fuel use and psi on the mercmonitor

Can I put an sc1000 tach next to a sc1000 speedometer and watch different data on each one while still having my analog fuel and psi work?
    Correct. That is how they work!

Definately would want fuel use and psi on the mercmonitor
    The Mercmonitor will do Fuel Used all by itself. It is dead on accurate too. The Water Pressure MAY require a $25 part on 4 stroke motors to add this to the MM.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal

14. Member
    Thanks, that gives me some options to think about

15. Member
    IMO I would just get the Vessel View Mobile... I have it installed on my 115 proXs 4-stroke and it monitors everything except oil psi, that is a mechanical sensor. Have everything I need to know right on my phone or Tablet. Just my .02$
    Last edited by AlumaPro; 02-28-2020 at 05:36 AM. Reason: Grammmmmer

16. Member
    I want a full time monitor like mercmonitor? Anyone know if you can have a mercmonitor guage and use the vessel view mobile at the same time?

I want a full time monitor like mercmonitor? Anyone know if you can have a mercmonitor guage and use the vessel view mobile at the same time?
    I do not believe so.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal