MEGA 360 Display Question

I searched and failed to find discussions on these questions.

Because the G2N units can display MEGA 360... I'd like to purchase a Helix 9 CHIRP MEGA DI+ GPS G3N and connect MEGA 360 to it. Then, I'd like to display 2D sonar and/or maps on the Helix 9 G3N, and display the MEGA 360 on a Helix G2N at the same time. Would this work? Or do I have to actively display the 360 image on my G3N unit to make the display available to the G2N?

Second question: while acknowledging that bigger is better, are users of the opinion that a Helix 12 is necessary for good 360 images? Or is a Helix 9 or 10 sufficient?

Last question: when the heck is Humminbird going to build an ulterra and/or terrova with a built-in MEGA 360 transducer... :)

1. The MEGA 360 connects to the transducer port of a Helix G3N SI+ or DI+ unit. The data is PROCESSED by the G3N and can be SHARED to a G2N.
    IF you update the G2N with the lastest software, you just choose the 360 view on the G2N, but the MEGA 360 HAS to be running and displayed on the G3N to do that.

2. The 12" is the best, you can settle for less.

This is the MEGA 360 displayed on a H12 and H10 at the same time:

Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

3. Member
    Thanks, Wayne! Any guess on the built-in 360 transducer, or maybe just a factory option for Ulterra/Terrova?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnN View Post
    Thanks, Wayne! Any guess on the built-in 360 transducer, or maybe just a factory option for Ulterra/Terrova?
    The 360 is forward oriented. Can't do that as built-in a trolling motor.

There is a MEGA 360 model for those with electric steer-only models or for other trolling motor brands. It is not trolling motor mount based.

https://humminbird.johnsonoutdoors.c...ging-universal
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

5. Member
    Question: In order to get Mega+ images that are processed by a G3 unit to display on a G2, do those imaging views (regular SI and DI) have to be DISPLAYED on the G3 unit at the same time (like the Mega 360 does, apparently)? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by granite View Post
    Question: In order to get Mega+ images that are processed by a G3 unit to display on a G2, do those imaging views (regular SI and DI) have to be DISPLAYED on the G3 unit at the same time (like the Mega 360 does, apparently)? Thanks.
    Have not tried that, BUT to view or share 360 from the G3N, you cannot have SI functioning. MEGA 360 replaces Side Imaging so it can't do both at the same time.
    AND the MEGA 360 piezos are not as long as the ones in a MEGA SI+ transducer so the SI is not as crisp but still does well:

Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

My Wayne, beings the subject is about the views of a mega 360, have you tried the Mega 360 at night. I’m going to get one later and will be fishing nights a lot I hope.
    2015 Ranger RT188 (white) * 2015 Etec 115 * Minn Kota Fortrex #80 * Humminbird Helix 12 MSI GPS G3N @ Helix 12 G4N on bow * Humminbird Helix 12 MSI GPS G3N at console * M360-MEGA Live
    Blue Water LED Red Deck Lights, LED White Light in Rod Box & Trailer Backup Lights * V-T2 Live Well Vents * Lew's Rod and Reels. Cool Foot pad on t/ motor .

Quote Originally Posted by Sammiew View Post
    My Wayne, beings the subject is about the views of a mega 360, have you tried the Mega 360 at night. I’m going to get one later and will be fishing nights a lot I hope.
    No, I have not. It's rotating Side Imaging so its viewability would not be any different than Side Imaging.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

Awesome, be next on the bucket list.
    2015 Ranger RT188 (white) * 2015 Etec 115 * Minn Kota Fortrex #80 * Humminbird Helix 12 MSI GPS G3N @ Helix 12 G4N on bow * Humminbird Helix 12 MSI GPS G3N at console * M360-MEGA Live
    Blue Water LED Red Deck Lights, LED White Light in Rod Box & Trailer Backup Lights * V-T2 Live Well Vents * Lew's Rod and Reels. Cool Foot pad on t/ motor .

10. Member
    Hi, I've just bought a Mega 360 and a Helix 10 Mega DI+ GEN3, and I want to know if the SI from the 360 will be displayed on this unit along with the DI and the 360 image. In the old days the 360 used to give you SI, DI and 360 images but Humminbird in it's wisdom nerfed the DI with firmware updates and only allowed the Si and 360 image. So I'm wondering if that still true for the mega 360 or have they nerfed the SI image on the Helix mega DI unit.

Quote Originally Posted by Techaholic View Post
    Hi, I've just bought a Mega 360 and a Helix 10 Mega DI+ GEN3, and I want to know if the SI from the 360 will be displayed on this unit along with the DI and the 360 image. In the old days the 360 used to give you SI, DI and 360 images but Humminbird in it's wisdom nerfed the DI with firmware updates and only allowed the Si and 360 image. So I'm wondering if that still true for the mega 360 or have they nerfed the SI image on the Helix mega DI unit.
    The MEGA 360 REPLACES Side Imaging on a Side Imaging unit and ADDS Side Imaging to a Down Imaging unit.
    Since the MEGA 360 does both, it cannot do both at the same time.

Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

12. Member
    Thx for your quick reply, Sweet I was hoping it did that, level 1 humminbird support told me it wouldn't, they also told me a Helix Sonar Gen3 wouldn't display the mega 360, but it clearly says online that it supports 360.

Thx for your quick reply, Sweet I was hoping it did that, level 1 humminbird support told me it wouldn't, they also told me a Helix Sonar Gen3 wouldn't display the mega 360, but it clearly says online that it supports 360.
    The Sonar unit will NOT support the MEGA 360. It will DISPLAY MEGA 360 shared via Ethernet from a SI+ or DI+ unit. Same with a G2N in all three versions.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

14. Member
    Does a G3N Sonar( Humminbird HELIX9 CHIRP DS GPS G3N Humminbird 410840-1 ) unit display mega DI+ via Ethernet or is it a lesser version of the DI+ single?
    Last edited by Techaholic; 02-24-2020 at 11:47 PM.

15. Member
    Wayne, on that 3 way view above is that down imaging view also from the 360 transducer or do you also have a DI transducer connected? Also if you remember what were your settings for that 2D sonar view? I can see you have "full" just wondering the sensitivity and contrast.
    2021 Skeeter ZX225
    2021 Yamaha SHO 225 VF225LA

Does a G3N Sonar( Humminbird HELIX9 CHIRP DS GPS G3N Humminbird 410840-1 ) unit display mega DI+ via Ethernet or is it a lesser version of the DI+ single?

The 410840-1 is NOT a DI unit or a SI unit, it is a 2D-ONLY unit and doesn't have DS in its model name. NO Humminbird has DS in their model names.
    It will share sonar/Imaging data from a DI+ and a SI+ unit that is processed by those units.
    It is NOT a lesser DI+ unit since it is not a DI model at all.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

Quote Originally Posted by woppercatcher View Post
    Wayne, on that 3 way view above is that down imaging view also from the 360 transducer or do you also have a DI transducer connected? Also if you remember what were your settings for that 2D sonar view? I can see you have "full" just wondering the sensitivity and contrast.
    The 360 and the MEGA 360 does Side Imaging only. The 360 used to do DI, but that was changed via software when the MEGA SI units came out. BTW, it is impossible for the 360 to do 360 and SI or DI at the same time.

Yes I have a DI+ transducer connected to my SI+ unit since it didn't make sense to attach a SI transducer due to the MEGA 360 replacing SI. I already had the Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G3N and a Helix 10 CHIRP MEGA DI+ GPS G3N so that gave me the DI+ transducer to use on the trolling motor and I want the larger display for 360 and SI. I gained a spare SI+ transducer.

My 2D settings are default. Makes no difference with that screen shot since it was playing back Simulator to have that view to post, I don't use that view.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    The 360 and the MEGA 360 does Side Imaging only. The 360 used to do DI, but that was changed via software when the MEGA SI units came out. BTW, it is impossible for the 360 to do 360 and SI or DI at the same time.

Yes I have a DI+ transducer connected to my SI+ unit since it didn't make sense to attach a SI transducer due to the MEGA 360 replacing SI. I already had the Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G3N and a Helix 10 CHIRP MEGA DI+ GPS G3N so that gave me the DI+ transducer to use on the trolling motor and I want the larger display for 360 and SI. I gained a spare SI+ transducer.

My 2D settings are default. Makes no difference with that screen shot since it was playing back Simulator to have that view to post, I don't use that view.
    Thanks.
    2021 Skeeter ZX225
    2021 Yamaha SHO 225 VF225LA

19. Member
    I think the DS was short for Dual Spectrum
    Last edited by Techaholic; 02-25-2020 at 10:03 PM.