Ranger 188 Auto accident repair question

A friend was in an auto accident and the rear corner of his 188 was bent up. Do they generally repair those at the factory? Are they repairable or do they generally total them? It doesnt look that bad but seems it would have to be cut and welded, so I was wondering how it works. I wouldnt be happy if it were mine and they wanted to cut and patch on it.

Thanks,
    JC

2. Tin Boats Moderator Pokie Pa's Avatar
    It is up to the insurance company. If repairable, they will go the least expensive way. What about the outboard damage???
    Tim Messer ~ Lake Ariel, Pa.
    US Army 1968 ~ 1971

2019 Ranger RT188 ~ Merc PRO XS ~ MK Ultrex

3. Member
    When I cracked the hull of my last tin boat on the water, my adjuster said they don't fix aluminum boats, they only total them. In my case, there wasn't any good "cheap" way to fix it like the insurance company would like to do. If he has an agreed value policy, I'd be hoping they total it and I'd just buy something new.

Any pics. I was in wreck. My boat had no damage. Just the trailer and motor. They totaled the both but not the boat. Both are able to be fixed. They told me if the boat had damage it would have been totaled.

5. Member
    You can never really get the dent completely out of a popcan.

If the boat is bent up at the corner as you say...... I would not stop fighting with them until they replaced the hull. That would be a fight worth fighting.
    ----------------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

2013 RANGER RT188 - YAMAHA F115 - ULTREX - LOWRANCE GRAPHS
    LOCK-N-HAUL Transom Saver, ALL ABOARD Emergency Ladder
    1996 RANGER CHEROKEE - 40 YAMAHA