Garmin SteadyCast woes

Well, a while back I posted that I got the calibration to work, and it worked for the day, but I have to redo it each time out. This is on my kayak so there is no electrical equipment other than the FF itself.

Does anyone have a solid calibration with the 2.2 software that does not need to be redone each time out?

Does anyone know how to roll back to the 2.0 software (I would like to try to see if that changes anything)?

2. Member
    First, I verified my mounting location with a handheld compass. I did repeated calibrations with no problem as I was checking about the various possible mounting positions. Then I settled on mounting it in a fixed position. Four times I have noticed it not pointing correctly. Every time there was something-----a tool, lures, etc that I had let get next to it. Once I moved them away, it pointed correctly without recalibration. It's now been so long I don't remember when I last calibrated it. Works just fine. It does not have to be something magnetic next to it. Metal that a magnet would be attracted to will deflect it.
    Last edited by LWINCHESTER2; 02-19-2020 at 06:00 PM.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

Quote Originally Posted by LWINCHESTER2 View Post
    First, I verified my mounting location with a handheld compass. I did repeated calibrations with no problem as I was checking about the various possible mounting positions. Then I settled on mounting it in a fixed position. Four times I have noticed it no pointing correctly. Every time there was something-----a tool, lures, etc that I had let get next to it. Once I moved them away, it pointed correctly without recalibration. It's now been so long I don't remember when I last calibrated it. Works just fine. It does not have to be something magnetic next to it. Metal that a magnet would be attracted to will deflect it.
    High current will also affect a compass=trolling motor wiring and outboard battery cable.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

4. Member
    Thanks LWINCHESTER2, I will take a compass down and make sure there is no interference. The FF is fairly close to the sensor so perhaps that is causing a problem. I will get out my compass and make extra sure I am not the cause of my own problem. The only possible source of interference would be the 106SV (kayak is plastic). The 106SV is a foot or so from the sensor, but I would not think it has enough metal to create an issue. However, I will check it out with a compass and see if I get any deflection.

Thanks for the comment Wayne P., and I am sure this is often an issue, but this is on my kayak. The only electronic devices are the 106SV, the SteadyCast and the NMEA2000 network connecting the two. Current draw (and the magnetic fields it could create) should not be an issue for me.

5. Member
    There’s a mobile app called gemeco install that actually has a magnetic detector on it, it helped me find the perfect location for mine.

Quote Originally Posted by pdxfisher View Post
    Well, a while back I posted that I got the calibration to work, and it worked for the day, but I have to redo it each time out. This is on my kayak so there is no electrical equipment other than the FF itself.

Does anyone have a solid calibration with the 2.2 software that does not need to be redone each time out?

Does anyone know how to roll back to the 2.0 software (I would like to try to see if that changes anything)?
    Is the chartplotter prompting to re-calibrate, or does the unit just stop performing as expected? If it is performance, describe the behavior.

If the chartplotter is prompting to re-calibrate, did you do both the “Compass Cal.” and either the “Auto Heading Alignment” or “Fine Heading Alignment”?

What chartplotter are you using?
    Garmin Pro Team

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Driscoll View Post
    Is the chartplotter prompting to re-calibrate, or does the unit just stop performing as expected? If it is performance, describe the behavior.

If the chartplotter is prompting to re-calibrate, did you do both the “Compass Cal.” and either the “Auto Heading Alignment” or “Fine Heading Alignment”?

What chartplotter are you using?
    I go to the menu and it seems to happily complete each calibration (compass and auto heading alignment) once I start them. I did the compass calibration first, then the auto heading alignment. It seems happy for a while but it is off when I come back for my next trip.

I was thinking more about LWINCHESTER2's comment. The sensor is mounted on the inside of my kayak bolted the underside of the deck. I have my 106SV close to it, but it is bungied down on each trip. Perhaps the slight differences in where it sits (it can slide around a little) is what is throwing the sensor off. Also the cabling for my transducer, the NMEA2000 network and the battery are all just tossed inside the hull. Perhaps from trip to trip they sort of bunch up and get in the way.

My plan is to carefully check my setup with a compass to make sure I am not my own worst enemy. I don't expect to find anything but it is good engineering to thoroughly test everything.

If that seems fine I plan on sliding my FF around to see if that causes the heading to move. I think this will be the most telling to see if the FF is a source of interference.

8. Member
    The best I can get is 50 something, no magnetic interference, and I have to re calibrate every time out.