2002 mercury 50hp 4Stroke lower unit leaking?

<0T574277> Can anyone give me a ballpark on price to get done? Also if I can find the rebuild kit for it? Is it something that can be done at home? Any help is Definitely Appreciated! Thank You
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 02-20-2020 at 02:37 PM.

\" take a child its state law i swear it is \"

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you would, please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the Required Info (serial number) when posting. Thanks!

The normal steps are to drain the gear lube, and perform a Pressure Test of the gearcase (utilizing a gearcase pressure tester) at 2,4,6,10 psi while rotating shafts and checking for leaks with soapy water (or kiddie bubble mix).

It is then possible to identify if it's one simple seal or o-ring replacement, or if the whole gearcase has to be disassembled.

Some seals require very little in terms of special tools. Others- you MUST have the appropriate special tools to remove/replace successfully.

Respectfully... you need to have the technician that is inspecting and pressure testing it give you an estimate based on what you NEED. Be more than happy to comment on how feasible or appropriate THAT is.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    1747E1F7-319A-426E-9E13-0390A4ECCF8F.jpegEuropeanAM, Thank You Sir!

\" take a child its state law i swear it is \"