Fortrex trolling motor stabilizer rod

I just installed a Fortrex on my 2000 R83 VS and I'm running into a minor issue. The Fortrex has the stabilizer bar attached, but in order for the bar to be flush with the deck so that the motor doesn't bounce around when stowed, the bar has to be unscrewed far enough that I can't put the cap on the top side. It doesn't look good and clean and it also leaves the top end open so water can get into the bar. Has anyone else encountered this, and if so, what did you do? The only thing I can think of is to put something between the deck and the stabilizer rod, like a small piece of wood or something, so that I can shorten the stabilizer rod enough to put the top cap on. But that also seems like it would not look good and I'd have to fasten the wood to the deck if I didn't want to manually place it there every time I stow the motor. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Member
    did you buy it used? the bar comes really long and must be trimmed to fit, so you probably need a new bar

3. Member
    Chris, I did buy the Fortrex used. That makes perfect sense. Thanks!

4. Member
    You might try contacting John Jones (Jones Trolling Motors) on the board ....... he can probably sell you a new replacement rod so you wouldn't have to buy the entire kit.
    '09 Ranger Z520 Silverado Edition / '09 Evinrude ETEC 250 HO
    '15 Xpress HD16DBX / Merc 59ci

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger391v View Post
    You might try contacting John Jones (Jones Trolling Motors) on the board ....... he can probably sell you a new replacement rod so you wouldn't have to buy the entire kit.
    Thanks for the suggestion.