Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Suggestions on a 7'3"-7'6" Spinning Rod Under $200

Looking to buy a longer medium to medium light spinning rod in the length stated in the title. Handled the Shimano Curado 7'4" Medium at Cabela's for $160 the other day and liked the feel of it. I think a medium at that length feels more on the medium light side which is what I'm looking to get. Does anyone have this rod or maybe the Daiwa Tatula 7'3"Medium and have any input they can offer? Would be using it for smallmouth on big water like Lake Erie to fish finesse swimbaits, Ned rigs, and possibly spybaits on light line. Not looking for something too whippy, a soft tip with some backbone is preferred. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

2. Member
    St Croix Avid 7'6 MLXF would be my suggestion. It lists for $220, but you can get it cheaper if you wait for a sale.

3. Member
    Tatula 7'3 medium is just what you're looking for

Either the Tatula 73M or the 76MLMFS are great options. Both have practically the same ratings. If I wanted to throw more spy baits and lighter ned rigs, I'd lean toward the 76. If I wanted to throw more 1/4 oz swim bait heads plus something like a 3.8 Keitech, I'd lean more toward the 73. Both are great rods an an outstanding value.

5. Member
    The a new Intenza from Shimano at 7' 6 light that looks very interesting. There's also a 7 M and a 7 ML. Great new series of rods at the right price.

6. Member
    7'7" Medium Phenix Feather

Quote Originally Posted by willwork4fish View Post
    7'7" Medium Phenix Feather
    x2!
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

8. Banned
    if wanting to spend even less......BPS Carbonlite 2.0 7'6" medium. On sale for $100

9. Member
    Powell endurance

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    x2!
    Willwork and Drew, how's the sensitivity of the feather?

11. Member

Sixgill Rods

I would also look at Sixgill, relatively new company. Has rods in every price group and style, will spend time talking to you either online or on the phone. I bought my first one two seasons ago and now have way too many, hard to believe, but true. Doesn't mean I'm going to buying them either, they have BOGO's regularly on rods and their reels. Check out Sixgill.com
    Stuck with a G3 Sportsman 1910 - Yamaha 150 - Helix 10 Mega Si - Helix 7 SI - Ultrex

12. Member
    I would suggest taking a look at Douglas Rods. They are located a few hours away from you. The 7'4" rod in the LRS series would fit in the price range you are looking at.
    2013 Phoenix 920 Pro XP
    2013 Mercury 250 Pro XS

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tjstack View Post
    I would suggest taking a look at Douglas Rods. They are located a few hours away from you. The 7'4" rod in the LRS series would fit in the price range you are looking at.
    This. Douglas makes some phenomenal fly rods and started seeing their conventional fishing rods pop up around some of the stores here. Light, sensitive and quality built.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

Take a peek at the Megabass Levante Enforcer.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnybass View Post
    It's become my go to ned rod. Does a lot of other stuff well too. Tubes, grubs, Keitech spiders with a little football head. I'm not 100% crazy about the reel seat so I did order one of the blanks to build it with a seat I'm more comfortable with. It's not at all that I hate the seat, I don't prefer it.

16. Member
    I have the tatula elite and love it, very sensitive and light and the cost was $179.00 excellent rod!

Thanks for the suggestions, not a big fan of the EVA grips, want to stick to cork handles. I actually handled a couple of the Douglas rods at a fishing show in Niagara Falls last month and thought they felt decent, but the 7'4" was more on the Med Heavy side. Leaning toward the Daiwa Tatula (non Elite) 7'3" M or 7'6" M-Lt M, so long as it's not like a noodle rod.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    Take a peek at the Megabass Levante Enforcer.
    Mark, when the gen 2 Levantes come back...are they built on the same blank as the recalled ones?

Quote Originally Posted by tcbass View Post
    Leaning toward the Daiwa Tatula (non Elite) 7'3" M or 7'6" M-Lt M, so long as it's not like a noodle rod.
    The Tatula 7'6" definitely isn't a noodle rod... I think you'd be very happy with it, or the 73M if you want more power.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnybass View Post
    Sorry, just seeing this. The Feather is very sensitive. I've compared to rods costing 2 to 3 times as much and the Feather is right there with them. I've said many times that I think Phenix's biggest mistake with the Feather is that it will kill their Ultra MBX and K2 sales because there's just no reason to pay what those rods cost when you can get the Feather for $150-60.

Willwork's point about the reel seat is a good one. I actually like it a lot - direct blank contact with nothing else in the way - but it is different. I've got one I built myself with an American Tackle Apex G2 seat that I really enjoy as well.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast