Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Negotiating Used Tin Prices

I ran across a couple of used aluminum rigs that were of some interest, but both were priced well above average retail, without any upgrades to justify the increase. I'm just wondering if it's worthwhile to make a reasonable offer and risk insulting the owner, or just pass and look for something else.

2. Member
    Depends, small aluminum boats that are older, but in good shape bring a premium around here. If newer and taken a hit make your best offer.

3. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Claytonsdad View Post
    I ran across a couple of used aluminum rigs that were of some interest, but both were priced well above average retail, without any upgrades to justify the increase. I'm just wondering if it's worthwhile to make a reasonable offer and risk insulting the owner, or just pass and look for something else.
    Good luck..... A buddy of mine has been looking for some time and they are just popular. If you find a Ranger 188 at any decent price the odds are it won't be listed an hour later.

I am looking to go to a 198 and you can bet my 188 price will show the market currently. That's just how it works.

4. Banned
    Worst that can happen is they say "no"

5. Member
    188s in my area seem to be near new prices even if they're camo (which I don't want), and several years old, so I'm not too hot on them right now. If one comes along at a decent price, I'll snag it. I can wait for a good solid boat at a good deal. I don't HAVE to be fishing right now. I've been out of it for 20 years. A few more months won't make any difference.

6. Member
    As was previously stated, the worse that can happen is they say no. I just recently sold my RT 178 for asking price. I was ready to get rid of it, and was prepared to come down. The buyer never mentioned a lower price, bought it at the asking price. If he would have only asked, he could have got it for less.
    2020 Ranger RT 198p, Mercury 150 HP 4 stroke, Minn Kota 80# Fortrex

7. Member
    Where are these used 188’s at new price? Mine was right at 30K OTD, that includes the longest Merc Platinum warranty. If I were to sell it today figure I’d get 20-22K. Just because you can buy a brand new one for 24-25 K doesn’t mean you’re getting one optioned out.

8. Member
    There is a difference, in my mind, between a "low ball offer" and a reasonable offer below the asking price.

I haven't bought any "newish" boats in a lot of years.
    But, whether selling or buying, I make up a spread-sheet. I list every boat that I can find on every selling list... Craig's List; Facebook Marketplace; Here, Local advs. etc.

I find as many as I can within a few years/feet/ distance/ motor/ trailer /gear of my intended target boat.

I post all the data that I can. I give each item a ranking for what it means to me, and when I am done, I think I am at least in touch with the current offered market. That is not the current SOLD market, since I don't have access to that information.

Knowledge is power.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by n2ratfishin View Post
    Where are these used 188’s at new price? Mine was right at 30K OTD, that includes the longest Merc Platinum warranty. If I were to sell it today figure I’d get 20-22K. Just because you can buy a brand new one for 24-25 K doesn’t mean you’re getting one optioned out.
    Not trying to start any sort of argument. Just made an observation about what I see in my area.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by richg99 View Post
    There is a difference, in my mind, between a "low ball offer" and a reasonable offer below the asking price.

I haven't bought any "newish" boats in a lot of years.
    But, whether selling or buying, I make up a spread-sheet. I list every boat that I can find on every selling list... Craig's List; Facebook Marketplace; Here, Local advs. etc.

I find as many as I can within a few years/feet/ distance/ motor/ trailer /gear of my intended target boat.

I post all the data that I can. I give each item a ranking for what it means to me, and when I am done, I think I am at least in touch with the current offered market. That is not the current SOLD market, since I don't have access to that information.

Knowledge is power.
    I thought I was the only guy that gathered and analyzed data like that. ��

11. Member
    I’m like a lot of y’all in that I think the best way to buy a boat is to look at ones a few years old with warranty remaining. However, when shopping aluminum boats last year I didn’t find that to be the case. I wound up ordering an Xpress set up how I wanted it for about what it would’ve cost me to get a used one and set it up myself. Plus, I got a the full life of the warranty and all the little things that go with getting a new boat.

That was the first, and probably only, time I’ll buy a new vehicle. I still think buying late model used makes sense for trucks and glass boats; just doesn’t seem to make sense in late model tin boats unless you’re very flexible with what you want. There doesn’t seem to be a lot of inventory of used late model Xpress, Vexus (I know, new brand), ranger tin, etc either.

12. Member
    Am I wrong in thinking that a lot of people who buy tin boats tend to keep them longer? So there are a very small amount of used boats for sale. Most tourney guys get a new rig every year and that’s evident by how many 20-21 ft glass boats are for sale. I’m going to be in the market for a new tin soon and when I purchase I’ll probably keep it for a long time.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishingchucknj View Post
    Am I wrong in thinking that a lot of people who buy tin boats tend to keep them longer? So there are a very small amount of used boats for sale. Most tourney guys get a new rig every year and that’s evident by how many 20-21 ft glass boats are for sale. I’m going to be in the market for a new tin soon and when I purchase I’ll probably keep it for a long time.
    Definitely think that's a big part of it.

There seem to be more new tin boats sold now and yet still more companies entering the market (Vexus, Avid, etc.) Maybe inventory will come up in a few years. I wonder what would happen if the economy took a dip.

14. Member
    I just purchased a 2015 RT 188. Have been looking for 3-4 months while waiting to sell my Ranger 188VS first. Everyone I saw on-line in the 2015-2016 year was pretty much 18 - 20k. So that's what I planned on spending. The day I sold my 188VS I got on line and boy did I get lucky. He was asking $15,500 and I got it for $14,500. Has a 115 Pro XS with less than 100 hours and nothing wrong with it at all. It was a 9 hour round trip but well worth it!!!

Have a good one and thank God for it!

It's only worth what someone will pay for it.

16. Member
    Just purchased a 19 Rt188 dual console loaded with warranty for25k

17. Member
    Sounds like both you guys got really good deals. Congrats. Maybe I'll find something eventually.

18. Member
    How did you locate one that far away?

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Claytonsdad View Post
    How did you locate one that far away?
    Craigs List

Have a good one and thank God for it!

As a seller you want to get the most you can out of a boat and as a buyer you want to pay the least you can for a boat. When you find something you like take note of how it is set up, Then price a brand new one set up the exact same way. This may help bring prices more into perspective. If you think the price is high, before you make an offer just ask if there's room to move on the price. Instead of offering a lower amount simply say " I'm only looking to spend X amount on a boat are we in the same ballpark ". The seller will most likely either just say no he can't go that low or will return with the lowest amount he's willing to do.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast