Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Thanks, that's a great approach. When negotiating, sometimes I'll ask, "Would you consider $X?" That also gives the seller an opportunity to respond with their best price without feeling like they're backed into a corner. I'm not a very good negotiator. Stresses me out.

2. Banned
    I've been in the car retail business for 39 years, so I LOVE to bargain with boat sellers & dealers!

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FlFedAngler View Post
    I just purchased a 2015 RT 188. Have been looking for 3-4 months while waiting to sell my Ranger 188VS first. Everyone I saw on-line in the 2015-2016 year was pretty much 18 - 20k. So that's what I planned on spending. The day I sold my 188VS I got on line and boy did I get lucky. He was asking $15,500 and I got it for $14,500. Has a 115 Pro XS with less than 100 hours and nothing wrong with it at all. It was a 9 hour round trip but well worth it!!!
    I have noticed the same thing. Up here in the Northwest the supply of quality used RTs is fairly limited. 18k for a nice condition and equipped RT is fair. Some up towards 20k for sure. And I would pay that myself. The model year almost means nothing on these boats as nothing significant has changed.
    2015 Ranger rt188/115 Etec

4. Member
    2017 and up with the 115 4S come with hydraulic steering and a live well pump out.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by n2ratfishin View Post
    2017 and up with the 115 4S come with hydraulic steering and a live well pump out.
    In the last month I have added a blinker trim, hot foot, Elite 9 TI w/ Bass Boat Technology mount system. The pump out to me is not a big deal but I will be changing to hydraulic steering soon. I have had hydraulic steering for the last 15 years and there is a big difference.

Have a good one and thank God for it!

6. Member
    Where'd you get 'average retail' from? If it's NADA, then you're going to have a hard time finding anything.
    Mike

2019 Ranger 520L w/ 250HO ETEC G2
    2011 Tracker 175TXW w/ 75HO ETEC

7. Member
    NADA is all I have to go on. Don't know what lenders use, but if there's a better barometer I'm all ears.

8. Member
    "Don't know what lenders use, but if there's a better barometer I'm all ears."

Might be worthwhile to stop by your local bank or credit union, etc. and ask what they use.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Claytonsdad View Post
    NADA is all I have to go on. Don't know what lenders use, but if there's a better barometer I'm all ears.
    I find NADA is low. Best way is to just see what's out there for sale, and average what you find.
    Mike

2019 Ranger 520L w/ 250HO ETEC G2
    2011 Tracker 175TXW w/ 75HO ETEC

10. Member
    I'm most likely going to sell my little 1652 G3 tinny in the next few weeks or so.

After reading all of this, I started my "spreadsheet" of local prices. So far, I've only posted a half dozen offerings from FG Marketplace.

I quickly found out that my "$4,000" tinny is far more likely to bring in $2,500 or so. That is what many of the boats are offered for sale. Oh, a few are in the low $3,000's, but they are bigger or newer (engine wise) than my potential sale boat. Even though I think my boat is in fine shape and may be better than many others, the market is what the market is.

Data is powerful whether you are buying or selling. The more information you have, the more knowledge you have.

11. Member
    You have understand one thing about any buyer. They think
    you have priced it high whether you do or not, so you can come down
    to give them that warm fuzzy feeling, that they just got a deal.
    LDS
    Larry D. Scott Retired KY Water patrol/F&W
    www.greatscottshooters.com

2008 TRACKER TV 18 w/150 Mercury 4S
    MK Ultrex 80lb, 102 Garmin Live scope
    and a UHD93SV Garmin on the bow.
    UHD 93SV at the console.

12. Member
    I've found boats are harder to deal with than autos. I guess because there are fewer of them, not sure. I've never been afraid to just offer what I was willing to pay. I don't care if the other party gets mad or not, all they can say is no. I think you have to have a firm idea of what you'll pay as long as it's realistic. I haven't had much success in trying to get someone to sell for lower than market prices. I usually travel a little bit to get a better deal.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12