Starting issue 250 Pro XS

So as of late, I have to turn the key several times before the engine will start. I hear a light clicking sound on the times it doesn't start. Is there some type of relay that is failing. Sometimes it fires off on the first attempt, and then sometimes I have to turn the key several times before the starter engages. Any help is appreciated.

Al please read the announcments at the top of page and provide the serial number
    Possibly but every electrical problem starts with the Battery
    Be sure it exceeds minimum requirements for your motor and is fully charged and tested first
    Defective battery
    Connections
    Start circuits in boat
    Slave solenoid
    Starter solenoid
    Starter motor
    Check voltage at starter motor large cable ______
    The yellow/red tracer from the starter solenoid goes the slave solenoid. On the slave solenoid there is another yellow/red wire that activates it
    Check the voltage at all four of these locations while it is malfunctioning and report back on the findings and key held in the cranking position
    Perform all these test with the dvom ground lead attached to the battery ground post
    Last edited by lpugh; 02-18-2020 at 09:20 PM.
    Thank You Leon Pugh

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    ^^^^ Excellent suggestions.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor