Question Power Pole Fluid Change Questions

My power poles are a bit noisy compared to others I'm around. They were installed new with my 2017 boat. I'm the 2nd owner and confident they got some heavy use before my days. Until reading another thread in this site, I never considered changing the fluid. After reading some other threads, I feel confident that changing the fluid and cleaning the screens (I just learned of these in another thread) may be what's needed to quiet them down significantly.

I've read my owners manual and watched some YouTube videos regarding fluid changes. But they all show the fluid containers and motors sitting on a work bench. Mine are mounted back under my back deck in the bilge area.
    What's the recommended process to get to them? I'm a big guy with questionable dexterity so I'd need them on my work bench to maintenance.
    In the YT videos, they just dumped the old fluid in a discardable can, wiped out the container, and added new fluid. The cleaning of screens looked simple enough.

Is 1 bottle of Green Marine required for each reservoir? What lines need to be disconnected? Am I getting in over my head?

My apologies if there is an old thread that simply explains all this.

I have 2 8 ft Blades (new in 2017)

2. Member
    I didn't disconnect any of my lines. I removed the pumps from the brackets, pulled the pumps up onto the deck of the boat on a tarp, to protect my carpet from the spills. Removed the pump from the reservoir, cleaned the screens and dumped and cleaned the reservoir. Put everything back together and reinstalled. I think 1 qt of the Green Marine filled both reservoirs.
    Charles Prue - Linthicum Heights, MD
    2003 Champion 206 Elite - 250 VMax

3. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    We like to remove the lines remove the pump from the boat, pull the reserviors off the pumps on a bench and check the screens , clean if necessary. If it appears you dont have the "gunk" and can look in and see screens look pretty clean you can just drain and refill with fresh green marine. With the poles down and lines disconnected you can manually push up the poles to force the majority of fluid from the lines, be sure they are in a container with a rag wrapped around top. Best to have a helper holding the bottle. If you dont want to drain the lines you will be ok however we like to do the lines for a complete change.

4. mikesxpress

5. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    knew that was coming!

6. mikesxpress
    Yes you did...

7. Member
    Thanks everyone!! I read the posted link above to further educate myself. I'm ASSUMING I have the Green Marine in my reservoirs right now. I bought the boat from a touring pro and assumed he never messed with the fluid in the year he owned boat (2017) and I've never changed it. I just purchased a quart of Green Marine from BPS. Since I'm definitely going to do this, I also just purchased a 9/16 socket ratcheting wrench as well. I saw a YouTuber said that was handy to remove the pumps and reservoirs.
    Can someone verify that is the correct tool?
    I want to do this all the way right so I plan to have poles lowered so I can get old fluid out of pumps and lines along with the reservoirs.
    From looking at this pic, do you think I'll need to remove a battery to get this pump/reservoir out? When pushing fluid out of lines with a partner holding a container, will putting the line in a milk container work?
    https://postimg.cc/4K24Mw7Z

8. Member
    Kev, I just pulled the pumps on a 2014 Puma and sent them in. The pumps were factory attached thru the rear storage boxes. I removed one of the batteries and it's a lot easier, it is possible to remove one without moving battery, but I think it's going to be way easier to reinstall if I just move the battery out of way

9. Member
    Thank you Chelsae!! I hope to attach this project soon. I have no plans to send anything in. Hopefully I'll be able to change the fluid in reservoirs, gently clean the screens, abd push remaining fluid out of lines like how k and k described. Did you happen to push old fluid out of lines while in there? I'm just curious what that is like. I'm trying to picture if these lines would remain under the back deck or above with a container.

10. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Chelsea FC View Post
    Kev, I just pulled the pumps on a 2014 Puma and sent them in. The pumps were factory attached thru the rear storage boxes. I removed one of the batteries and it's a lot easier, it is possible to remove one without moving battery, but I think it's going to be way easier to reinstall if I just move the battery out of way
    i would just move the battery out of the way.

11. Member
    Wish I’d done my homework when I first installed my poles. I wouldn’t have put the vegetable oil in to start with.

12. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by rockmike View Post
    Wish I’d done my homework when I first installed my poles. I wouldn’t have put the vegetable oil in to start with.
    nothing wrong with it.. little maintenance goes a long way. Change every year to 18 months suck it out w a turkey baster install new green marine ..done.. leave it in for years then its more involved sure.

13. Member
    Will a 1 quart bottle of Green Marine fill TWO reservoirs (I have 2 power poles)?

Is a 9/16 the correct size to remove the screws of the reservoir?

When pushing up the power pole from the down position to clear lines, will you be holding the line while it's underneath the deck or will I be able to have lines above the deck. I heard it's good to have a helper for this part. I tend to sweat the details so I'm trying to picture how this will work. Will something like a half gallon milk jug work to push the fluid from the lines in?

14. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    1 quart per pole! Can have the lines above deck.

15. Member
    I've removed the battery and cage that blocked access. I want to remove the pump and reservoir to clear lines of old fluid to do a complete fluid change. On removing those brass fittings on the black and blue lines, I just loosened the brass nut until it came off the threads and is just sliding down the line. Now do I just pull on the line until it comes off? Will the poles lose pressure and fall when I remove these lines?

I'm just going to put a tarp on back deck of boat since I don't want to re-splice the black and red connections.

Every video I watch makes it look so dam easy. My pump/reservoir was secured inside bilge by 2 bolts that go through the storage box behind seat. I guess that's how BassCat does them on a Cougar. That's going to be rough to line those bolts back up when I'm finished.

Any help would be much appreciated.

If the blue /Black tubing nuts are up on the tubing just pulling will unseat them, this will cause the pole to drop, and spray fluid out of the tube as it is falling. I do not think that the ferrels are meant to be "re-used" and may not seat up 100% again. Causing a slow leak.

If you zip tie the anchor where it is at so gravity doesn't push the fluid out till you are ready for that should solve this issue
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishysam View Post
    If the blue /Black tubing nuts are up on the tubing just pulling will unseat them, this will cause the pole to drop, and spray fluid out of the tube as it is falling. I do not think that the ferrels are meant to be "re-used" and may not seat up 100% again. Causing a slow leak.

If you zip tie the anchor where it is at so gravity doesn't push the fluid out till you are ready for that should solve this issue
    One of the lines popped out while I was removing unit from way back in bilge. And I remove the other already now. That's ok since I wanted to purge lines anyway.

Can somebody tell me definitively if these ferrules can be reused? I want to do this right and am taking a lot of time to do it right.

I'm getting ready to clean the reservoir and purge old fluid and refill. K and K or anybody else know about these ferrules?

18. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    They can be reused if simply taking off old lines etc. Wr do recommend changing them out w new however. If lines need to be cut for any reason they are non reusable. It is always good to order some spares however and have them they are very inexpensive. This is very easy simple process to change fluid. Just gotta get in and do it, think your overthinking it honestly and making a simple job way harder then it needs to be

19. Member
    Thanks k and k. Glad to have reassurance. I put the fluid lines back on and they are working fine. Nice to knkw that's ok to do as long as not getting new lines. Feels good to have complete fluid change. It wasn't as nasty looking as I thought it would be but dumped and wiped all the old out anyway and filled up. My pumps are very difficult to get to and to put back in place. Basscat apparently secure them with bolts that go though the storage boxes behind the seats. For a guy like me it was a PIA to get the bolts lines back up. I needed help to finish that up. I think I'll try that Turkey baster idea I saw you mention on an old thread. I don't want to try to get to the other one after doing that.
    Thanks again

20. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Keep it changed once a year turkey baster will work fine