Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Member
    I have what's probably an elementary question, but I don't know much about cab-overs. When you get to your campsite (say your going to be there 3-4 days), do you go to your campsite, unhitch the boat, then take the cab-over off and set it up. Then re-hook up the boat to the truck and then go launch the boat. Take the boat trailer back to your camp site. So, generally speaking, what are your guys procedure for this? Also, way back in another life (and when I was a kid, the parents RV'd a lot) I RV'ed but it was with your standard camper/trailer and their wasn't any boat involved. Anyway, in many parks and campgrounds, space was at a premium, so do you have any problems having a cab-over, boat and trailer, and a truck ll on the same space?

If I was going to be somewhere for a week I would take the camper off, otherwise I just left it on. I never had a site that didn't have room. If I dropped the camper, I just went to the ramp, parked the truck and trailer and fished, then drove back to my site and parked for the night. It isn't involved or difficult at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Jocephus View Post
    There’s a guy in ATL that hauls his ranger with an Earthroamer F550. I talked to him about it and he said that after his wife died that he likes to fish but is really into overlanding with his grandkids in Arizona. A regular camper on a 1 ton doesn’t have the capability he wanted.
    Quote Originally Posted by Babe Winkleworm View Post
    They are also very very expensive
    No joke! Looked them up and they have used ones for north of a half million! You can buy a new 40'+ diesel motorhome for significantly less and probably still have plenty leftover to buy a big ass truck to go offroading in. Might even be able to get one that's a "toy hauler" and bring the truck and boat along! That seems insane.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

So, are the campers stable enough to inhabit, like sleep and eat in, when they're off the vehicle on the stabilizers?
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RazorCat View Post
    So, are the campers stable enough to inhabit, like sleep and eat in, when they're off the vehicle on the stabilizers?
    Yes, no issue at all. Once off the truck I lower the stablizers to the ground. The higher the camper is "more"stablizer is needed. In fact the camper "rocks" on the truck more vs off. when If I leave the camper on the truck I extend the stablizers.
    Last edited by Beallright; 02-20-2020 at 08:22 PM.

2023 Phoenix 920 Elite
    2023 Mercury Pro XS 4S

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Big C View Post
    I have what's probably an elementary question, but I don't know much about cab-overs. When you get to your campsite (say your going to be there 3-4 days), do you go to your campsite, unhitch the boat, then take the cab-over off and set it up. Then re-hook up the boat to the truck and then go launch the boat. Take the boat trailer back to your camp site. So, generally speaking, what are your guys procedure for this? Also, way back in another life (and when I was a kid, the parents RV'd a lot) I RV'ed but it was with your standard camper/trailer and their wasn't any boat involved. Anyway, in many parks and campgrounds, space was at a premium, so do you have any problems having a cab-over, boat and trailer, and a truck ll on the same space?
    each person does things differently. If I have the time, I will book the night before so I all I am doing is setting up camp. And fishing the next day. If I roll in latter I will launch and fish with the camper on the truck. I will at times book an extra day on the back end so I can put everything away and put it back on the truck in the daylight. I do this because check out is usually round 2 or 3pm, when we are weighing in. Some campgrounds have no issue with the extended time, others do.

You will find that your boat length equals a traditional camper. so most site accommodate that. so book for a 25 ft trailer min and you have no issues. The campground you frequent most often you will make a list of favorite sites and try to get those.

The best investment was a camera on the back of the camper to see the boat to hook up, and back down a ramp. I can do the whole deal by myself.

2023 Phoenix 920 Elite
    2023 Mercury Pro XS 4S

7. Member
    We do leave ours on all the time - except when getting truck maintenance or my once annual
    'truck wash'. Back up the Ranger all the time and even occasionally a 14' 4' 6" beam fishing boat with TC on.
    (full disclosure: need to use a bit of 'oversteer' to each side a couple of times with the 14' boat to keep 'er on the boat ramp.)
    Do not take your half in the middle ....

Quote Originally Posted by Beallright View Post
    Yes, no issue at all. The higher the camper, "more stablizer extended the more it will rock. in fact the camper "rocks" on the truck more vs off. when If I leave the camper on the truck I extend the stablizers.
    Thanks for the info. Never been around enough cabovers to know you could.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

9. Member
    I am planning to get this kind of setup when I retire. For those who get the largest cab-over campers, do you need a 1 ton or will a 3/4 ton suffice? Dually or single rear tires? And wouldn't you want an 8 foot bed?

Largest ones like the Host Mammoth, you're going to want a dually one ton with an 8 foot bed.

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliffprocraft190 View Post
    I am planning to get this kind of setup when I retire. For those who get the largest cab-over campers, do you need a 1 ton or will a 3/4 ton suffice? Dually or single rear tires? And wouldn't you want an 8 foot bed?
    Just have to look at your trucks payload. Don't forget to factor passengers and all the crap you carry. Most are overloaded with a 3/4 ton.

12. Member
    My dad has been traveling with a slide in camper for about 15 years now. Once you get comfortable with it, it’s super simple to load/unload and be on your way. His has a built in propane generator so if need be he can pull over anywhere and sleep for the night. He has always used a 3500 dually and never had an issue. My brother did the same for a while except he put one on a 2500 and it was super sketchy.

depends on what your needs are they do make campers for 6 foot beds , it will depend on your trucks payload , weight of camper and personal gear, tongue weight , dont trust the camper salesmen most will tell you your truck will handle it , do your homework

I run a Host Everest 11' 5" (step down from Manmouth) with 3 slides on a F-450 and I run slightly overweight

good luck in your search

July 4th 2015 Summer 068.JPG
    Attached Images Attached Images

2009 ELITE 210

14. Member
    My rig is an Arctic Fox 911 with a full side slide out and its fully loaded. As I recall the dry weight is 3800lbs. I wouldn't think of putting it on a 3/4 ton or a single rear wheel.
    And yes, it is designed for a 8' bed. In fact it hangs over that and I have to have a hitch extension to pullmy boat.
    Jeff
    2015 Phoenix 920 Pro XP
    250 Mercury Optimax Pro XS
    Colorado

15. Member
    Cons: Not cheap, so comfortable it is tough getting out of bed in morning. I bought a big one cause I often travel with wife and two german shepherds. I would for sure downsize if I did not need the space.
    Pros: Hot shower, home cooking, comfortable bed, close to boat and equipment. Sleep better.

16. Member
    On my 3rd Lance. I don't think I'll ever be without a cabover.20190402_182203.jpg

17. Member
    You guys have some sweet rigs. At tourneys I almost always sleep in the back of my pick up truck with a cap on it even though I could stay in a motel room just because it's so much nicer being outdoors the whole time. Having a camper like some of you guys do would be pretty awesome for sure! Maybe one day later on!

18. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmess View Post
    On my 3rd Lance. I don't think I'll ever be without a cabover.20190402_182203.jpg
    Man that's nice! My dream rig
    Been trying to convince my wife, not there yet

For the large cabovers with slides you will want an 8ft bed and a dually like the guys above have. You can add bags to a SRW to help stabilize the load, but you will be overweight.
    06 Skeeter 20i Yamaha 250 HPDI
    Visit my Youtube Channel!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCW6p06navSpOqUn3xotG2vA

20. Banned
    I'm figuring to buy new 120K. New dually and brand new top of the line Lance. Am I close $ complete ?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast