17 in Trailer Tires

What are you replacing your 17 Kenda tires that come standard on your Ranger Trail. Hearing some scary stories about the Kenda Tires and was wondering what everyone was switching to. I had Goodyear Endurance on my last boat and liked them but it is my understanding that they do not make it in a 17 in. Thanks Greg
    Last edited by GClark519; 02-18-2020 at 03:00 PM.

2. Member
    I’d put regular 17” car tires on it.

3. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Quick forum search on “Kenda” brings up several threads. A popular choice seems to be the Michelin Defender:
    https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...omCompare1=yes

Note: I have more than 15,000 miles on my Kendas and they pull extremely smoothly and show zero wear. My experience may be atypical, but I’m happy nonetheless.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

4. Member
    Had my first "Kenda experience" 2 weeks ago! Been reading about it. Replaced w/ a car tire

My Kendas are 3 years old and still look new. A handful of people say they blew a tire and suddenly Kendas are the worst tires out there as if other brands never blew a tire.
    2017 Ranger Z520c "Blackout Edition"
    2017 Mercury Optimax ProXS 250
    HB Solix 12 G3 MSI+, Solix 12 G2 MSI+, Solix G2 MDI+, Solix 12 2d/gps, Ultrex Mega360, Mega Live
    NRA Life Member
    -Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour-

If Goodyear made the Endurance in 17s I'd get them, otherwise I'm sticking with the Kendas

7. Member
    My Kendas are fine now that I had the rear axle replaced.....torsion was bad causing tire to rub fender. I would recommend checking to make sure you have adequate clearance, pretty sure this wasn't the first axle that needed replaced.
    It's everything you learn after you know-it-all that really counts........

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gonnabe View Post
    I’d put regular 17” car tires on it.
    Are you still happy with your Kenetica/Kenda tires? I lost one on way to Lake Fork end of March, then lost another one this weekend. They are Kenetica's manufactured in China, the DOT date looks to be April 2018 which makes them four years old, but probably less than 10k miles on them. The belts separated, but did not blow and take out the fender.

Called etrailer.com, out of stock until September.

Thus, two fold question. Are you still happy with your Kenetica/Kenda tires. Second, what about Michelin Defenders? Or do you know of another source for Kenda's?

I also understand that Ranger is now installing Milestar Weatherguard AS 710 Sport tires, which is a car tire, but XL rated and max pressure at 50 PSI.
    Last edited by RGK456; 06-08-2022 at 02:05 PM.

Call the 800 number on the tire, I did and they sent a replacement overnight. Mine was under warranty, yours won't be due to age but they may be able to get one for you.
    2B576211

10. Ranger Boats Moderator 22RangerZ520R's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RGK456 View Post
    I also understand that Ranger is now installing Milestar Weatherguard AS 710 Sport tires, which is a car tire, but XL rated and max pressure at 50 PSI.
    When did they start doing that?

2022 Ranger Z520R | 2022 Platinum F250
    Apex 19 | (2) Apex 16's | Mega 360 | Mega Live

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RdRngR View Post
    Call the 800 number on the tire, I did and they sent a replacement overnight. Mine was under warranty, yours won't be due to age but they may be able to get one for you.
    Thanks, I will call them tomorrow

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 22RangerZ520R View Post
    When did they start doing that?
    I called Pros Choice, didn't ask him when. But, he did go out and look at the tires on a new Ranger trailer.

13. Ranger Boats Moderator 22RangerZ520R's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RGK456 View Post
    I called Pros Choice, didn't ask him when. But, he did go out and look at the tires on a new Ranger trailer.
    All the ones I'm seeing from guys who recently took delivery in the last few weeks on the Z520R/Z521R FB page are Kenda's....

2022 Ranger Z520R | 2022 Platinum F250
    Apex 19 | (2) Apex 16's | Mega 360 | Mega Live

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RdRngR View Post
    Called them today, very helpful and courteous, but the earliest they might have one would be end of June and might be later than that. Looking at the alternative Milestar Weatherguard or Goodyear Assurance. The Milestar actually has a higher weight rating than the Kenda. The Goodyear Assurance has same load rating as the Kenda

I’m happy so far with the Michelin Defenders Dean recommended. I’m also taking Michelin over anything named Milestar or Good Year. I also had Kendas for 5 years with no issues.
    2017 Ranger Z520c "Blackout Edition"
    2017 Mercury Optimax ProXS 250
    HB Solix 12 G3 MSI+, Solix 12 G2 MSI+, Solix G2 MDI+, Solix 12 2d/gps, Ultrex Mega360, Mega Live
    NRA Life Member
    -Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour-

Quote Originally Posted by bloodman View Post
    If Goodyear made the Endurance in 17s I'd get them, otherwise I'm sticking with the Kendas
    This is the only reason I ordered 14” wheels on my R boat. Too much good history with the Endurance tires.
    ‘22 Ranger Z520R - Mercury 250 Pro XS
    Humminbird/Minn Kota One Boat Network

Ran Kenda's on my 2018 and now my 2020 Ranger rigs. No problems. I noticed at the ramp the Vexas rigs are running Kenda's also.

2020 Ranger 521L Tour, 300 Mercury, 112 Minn Kota Ultrex
    3 12" Helix Units, Mega Si, Mega Di, Mega 360, Garmin 8412 W LiveScope mounted on Rite Hite Turret.