Banned

Basscat 24oz it ranger 24oz carpet

Got my ranger carpet in today and I don't think it's a true 24oz or basscat is thicker than they say. What do you guys think?
    Maybe I'm just tripping but it doesn't feel the same. It's like I can put my fingers in the basscat carpet and the ranger I can't.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by g352nv; 02-18-2020 at 02:32 PM.

I put Bass Cat carpet in my Bullet and I have ordered carpet from Ranger 2 times for customers boats....they don’t look as heavy as the Bass Cat...this is from both sides, carpet and binder.
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

3. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by crank68 View Post
    I put Bass Cat carpet in my Bullet and I have ordered carpet from Ranger 2 times for customers boats....they don’t look as heavy as the Bass Cat...this is from both sides, carpet and binder.
    Yup I blew it. I knew I should have gone with what I've always used.

I think the carpet is fine but I don’t think it’s what the Bass Cat carpet is...
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

5. Member
    I think carpet weight is based on the density of the fibers, as in the number of strands per square inch, not in the depth of the fibers. You might have a 20 oz. carpet that has longer fibers than a 24 oz. carpet and appear thicker, but it has less density, fewer strands per square inch than the 24 oz. carpet. Both the Ranger and the Bass Cat carpets could be 24 oz. carpets with the Bass Cat carpet just having longer fibers.

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by OnTRAK View Post
    I think carpet weight is based on the density of the fibers, as in the number of strands per square inch, not in the depth of the fibers. You might have a 20 oz. carpet that has longer fibers than a 24 oz. carpet and appear thicker, but it has less density, fewer strands per square inch than the 24 oz. carpet. Both the Ranger and the Bass Cat carpets could be 24 oz. carpets with the Bass Cat carpet just having longer fibers.
    This is what ranger told me. I'm going to cut a 6x6 piece of each and weigh em.

Yes, our carpeting is 24 ounce and the answer is very close above.

it is measured in NPI (nappe per inch) and LPI (lines per inch) which determines the weight, not the fiber length, though weight is the actual identifier thus ounces. The difference in the image is apparent though we both are supposedly using 24 ounce Syntec carpeting.

The bunk carpeting could be a lighter weight and that might be what you have. Also Syntec may have a longer nappe available in 24 ounce, though it more likely just a run variation on that machine. It also is possible that they are selling an older variation in parts which is 20 ounce. We only have one roll of 17 ounce and that color is a low turn replacement for our Yar-Craft walleye line.

We just had this conversation last month with their team and their indication was identical for both of our companies and one other. The other bass boat companies do use what they verified was a lesser 15 ounce variation. $aving nickels in comparison.

8. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    Yes, our carpeting is 24 ounce and the answer is very close above.

it is measured in NPI (nappe per inch) and LPI (lines per inch) which determines the weight, not the fiber length, though weight is the actual identifier thus ounces. The difference in the image is apparent though we both are supposedly using 24 ounce Syntec carpeting.

The bunk carpeting could be a lighter weight and that might be what you have. Also Syntec may have a longer nappe available in 24 ounce, though it more likely just a run variation on that machine. It also is possible that they are selling an older variation in parts which is 20 ounce. We only have one roll of 17 ounce and that color is a low turn replacement for our Yar-Craft walleye line.

We just had this conversation last month with their team and their indication was identical for both of our companies and one other. The other bass boat companies do use what they verified was a lesser 15 ounce variation. $aving nickels in comparison.
    Thanks for the info. Lesson learned.

9. Banned
    Wouldn't the ranger carpet be preferable then? If its the same weight but shorter than that means it has more fibers in it per sq ft. Other boats use 24 oz as well and theie carpet looks different also.