Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Randy Walker

EZ Loader Trailer - Torsion Axle

I have a 2006 tandom axle trailer with torsion axles for my 20i. Yesterday the front one with brakes failed and tire sucked up into the fender. From everything I've read, my axle is toast. Going down the rabbit hole I found several threads here and a few phone numbers to call... UFP told me they could not help because they only sell to dealers, told me they are Dexter as well, so gave me several numbers to call.. called them and was told that since I was not a dealer I have to call a shop. Called a shop and was told to call EZ Loader.
    Called EZ Loader and just one axle is $525 (axle only) and $1300 for entire assembly.

My question, have any of you used another brand axle that was cheaper?
    I live in CA, so might be why it's so much more price wise... just seems like a crazy price for a bare axle and even more crazy for the entire assembly...

I know many guys may reply they got theirs covered for free... I'm not that lucky! nor expected to get anything for free.. it's a 2006 trailer so it's well out of warranty.

2. Member
    Call Last Chance marine. They can help out and for alot cheaper.

3. Randy Walker
    Thanks Jeff, called and they said it a special order from EZ LOADER and that I can order from them too... thanks for the info sir, much appreciated.

4. Member
    Really? I asked awhile back since mine is almost 5yrs old. They said they could do it their. May have to order the parts though.

It is a Dexter Axle and they should replace it for free

I have a 06 and had the same issue a little over a year ago and when I called they asked a couple questions and emailed me a replacement form I filled it out and a week later I got TWO (2) axles shipped via UPS at no charge

I guess they had issues and are replacing them at no charge or at least that’s what I was told

Did you call the Tennessee factory? (574) 295-7888

You will need the serial number off the axle

Now this means you will have to find someone to do the work for you
    Note the axle does not come with the break line or break line mounts
    It also come un-painted
    Last edited by MichAngler; 02-19-2020 at 10:54 AM.
    "The handicapped angler"

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MichAngler View Post
    It is a Dexter Axel and they should replace it for free

I have a 06 and had the same issue a little over a year ago and when I called they asked a couple questions and emailed me a replacement form I filled it out and a week later I got TWO (2) axels shipped via UPS at no charge

I guess they had issues and are replacing them at no charge or at least that’s what I was told

Did you call the Tennessee factory? (574) 295-7888

You will need the serial number off the axel

Now this means you will have to find someone to do the work for you
    Note the axel does not come with the break line or break line mounts
    It also come un-painted

This exactly, I had the exact same thing. They replaced axles as a recall just had to fill out the form and send pics. Painting and installation was on my dime, did both myself.

I did mine as well

Hit all bolts with WD and let soak for a day before you start

Since yours is the Break Axle like mine it takes a little more work

Had to take it to a buddies shop to get the splitter and mounting brackets welded to the axle

Make sure to clean the axel before welding and painting and get a couple of good coats of paint on it

If breaks are good you can pull the arms without removing the break rotor from the arm it just take a little extra effort to get back on with rotor installed
    Make sure to count the teeth on the spindle from top mark to the gap in the arm so you can put the arms back in the same location on new spindle

You will need the following items for the break line axle from EZ Loader

1 - Splitter w/bracket
    http://store.ezloader.com/custom-tra...n-tee-wbracket

2 - L Brackets
    http://store.ezloader.com/brake-hose-mounting-strap

2 - Horseshoe clips
    http://store.ezloader.com/clip-horseshoe-wh

1 - 4” break line
    http://store.ezloader.com/custom-tra...ne-4-extension

1 - 60” Break line
    http://store.ezloader.com/custom-tra...e-60-extension

2 - 18” break line hoses
    http://store.ezloader.com/custom-tra...ck-male-female

3 – Metal P-Clips can be purchased at local hardware store or auto parts store
    Last edited by MichAngler; 02-19-2020 at 10:53 AM.
    "The handicapped angler"

Info at the bottom of warranty form

Phone: 931-957-5101 EXT-25016, 25022, 25026
    Fax: 931-967-1828

warrantytn@dexteraxle.com

UFP DEXTER MARINE
    1041 BAXTER LANE
    WINCHESTER, TN 37398
    "The handicapped angler"

9. Randy Walker
    Thanks Mich and TT... yeah, I called those numbers and was xferred to warranty department of UFP/Dexter.. I talked to multiple people there and all told me they could not help. Out of warranty and they could not sell to me and gave me numbers for other places to call, which then gave me more numbers to call.. some refer me back to EZ LOADER and some say we can help, but need to order the axle from Dexter and sounds like pricing is going to be same or more than from EZ LOADER direct. It's been a huge run around. Not sure if something changed as of last year, but seems they are no longer willing to discuss option of replacing axle under a recall or anything. I'm not expecting it for free, be really sweet, but not expecting it... just wish it was cheaper than quoted pricing.. sucks! Thanks again for the direction guys... I've called EZ Loader, UFP/Dexter via multiple departments and get the same answer... nobody can help due to being 2006 or not willing to help because I'm not a dealer. Thanks again ~

What kind of prices are they quoting?
    "The handicapped angler"

11. Randy Walker
    Dexter did not provide me a quote.. they referred me to 6 Robblees in Washington, which referred me to the Rhonart Park location to ask for form. He could not give me a price until I completed form, but said could be $1000-$1500 for full assembly. EZ LOADER told me per my trailer vin, $525 for just axle and $1270 for entire assembly.. not even sure that includes tax and shipping... The parts guy said that they come painted.. he did not offer a non-painted option/price.

$525 isn’t that bad if it includes shipping

I would ask if it comes with the break line/splitter pre-mounted on the axle
    if not might be easier to have them do that if cost isn’t that bad
    DIY isn’t that hard especially if its pre painted and the break line is mounted
    EZ Loader will paint it to match

“Entire assembly” should be both arms, break lines, Hubs/rotors and calipers
    Buying the entire assembly would be even easier - 4 bolts and one break line fitting and bleeding the breaks - your done!
    Other than mounting the wheels

I guess the deciding factors are
    Can you do the work?
    When is the last time you had the bearings replaced?
    Have the breaks ever been done/replaced?

If you have never had the breaks done I might consider the “entire assembly” option with a trailer that old

Ask a lot of questions before you make your decision make sure you know what is included in your purchase
    "The handicapped angler"

Onewalker,

If you plan to DIY PM me your email and I’ll shoot you some pics to help you get started
    "The handicapped angler"

14. Member
    I’m going through the exact same thing on a 2007 Zx-250 trailer. Had a torsion axle spin on me and rotate the wheel into the fender. Took it to a local shop and he was absolutely no help, told me to call ez loader or dexter and order an axle. Spent a half day doing that and talking to a dozen different people at both places. Was finally told $600 and min of 3-4 weeks as they “have to make one”. What a pain, and clearly they (ez loader/dexter) don’t want to recognize the problem any longer.... Gave up and called another local shop that came recommended to me and bingo, he has 1 in stock (said he orders them 4 at a time). Taking it in tomorrow and hopefully it’ll be done by Friday.

15. Randy Walker
    Hey Mich, thanks for all the info as well as offer for pics... that's awesome! The job itself seems pretty easy and I would plan on doing myself. I've actually considered exactly what you were saying about the old stuff... it's all original so having all new I think would be a good thing, because you know something else will need replacing soon after this job if I use old parts... or while I'm in there I should replace brakes and repack bearings and anything else... so I'm considering just getting the entire assembly. I did confirm, axle only is just the axle with nothing on it at all. I did find one that I think would work from another source that comes with the arms on the axle for about $600 vs just bare axle from EZ Loader for $525. Problem is I have to work by measurements since EZ Loader custom advised the axle does not have a part number to reference... it seems stuff is so ass backwards with all of this... should be MUCH easier... but anyway... I may just bite the bullet and pay the $1300 for the entire deal... I'm assuming you and others would prob replace the other axle at the same time too right? Is it bad to run front axle new and rear axle original? The fenders are junk, have had welds break in several areas and needed to reweld, heard stories of rusting out from cross beams and the fenders are junk!!! If I could afford it, I'd just buy a new trailer. Both axles from EZ Loader is going to run me $2000

16. Randy Walker
    Bobbyf, man.. that's awesome... that you found one and can get it fixed quick. After it's done, please post back the cost of the axle (not the labor part) and see if you can find out when he is going to have more in... or the name of the place so I can call them to see if they happen to have one that would work on my trailer. If I can find the same part(s) for cheaper somewhere besides EZ Loader... I'll call wherever needed.. haha... good luck and please keep me posted on results.

17. Member
    onewalker, They just called and said it's ready, with a 24 hour turn around. $375 or the axle only, my arms and hubs were good. Give Ron at McGill Propeller and Welding in Lewisville, TX. a call he may be able to ship one to you.

18. Randy Walker
    Thanks so much Bobbyf… Just talked to him and what a great guy.. took the time to talk with me about everything and will get me what I need... Great service!! Thanks again for sharing info sir ~
    Last edited by onewalker; 02-21-2020 at 03:51 PM.

19. Member
    ��

20. Member
    I just ordered one for my 2006 ZX225 from ez loader. $525 plus $200 shipping. Said it would take 4 weeks. Showed up in a week. It was easy to install myself. Non brake axle.
    2006 skeeter zx225.HPDI 225

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast