Couple Questions for Ultrex Owners

Searched but can't find anything to really answer my question.

1. How noticeable is the sound of the steering motor when turning? Is it loud enough that in your opinion it could spook fish?

2. I Pilot Link vs Non Link. Does anyone regret not getting the link? Mainly just purchasing for spotlock which is on both. Anything else I would be missing out on?

2. Shutterbug Forum Moderator bdog7198's Avatar
    Have never noticed a reaction from fish when using it.

Only ever used non-link so cannot answer the second one
    Prints and more available at: http://BSPhotography.co/
    Digital downloads available at: https://licensing.pixels.com/profiles/1-brian-shoemaker
    IG: BSPhotographyZ9

3. Member
    I fish shallow water year round as my closest lake averages 6ft or less and will never agree with someone the ultrex spooks fish. I’m flipping shallow cypress trees 3-4 ft of the side of boat and catch plenty. If you have Humminbird I would get the link.

Noise from turning is nothing to worry about.

If you have Bird graphs then get the Link; if not running Bird's the non-link will do everything the link version will do.
    Charger 210 Elite

5. Member

B Lat shows pretty well on this vid exactly what you're asking about.

Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

7. Member
    The ever so slight steering motor noise absolutely does not effect shallow water fishing. So many other things have given up your presence before the ever so slight noise from the electric steering assist motor has.
    If running ‘Birds for graphs, like me, the Link is essential. At least the way I fish. I love to set the troller to follow a depth contour, set the speed and just chuck and wind the bank with cranks, swimbaits, spinnerbaits etc. I also troll for walleye with the wife and kids and it makes trolling a breeze. Stays on course while I tend to rods, etc.
    96 Viper Coral202 225 Opti serial#1B011431

I don't find that the noise is spooking fish. I think it's no (or very little) noisier than my old MG.

Follow the contour with Link would not be available for me as Lakemaster does not have maps of my local lakes.

10. Member
    The little noise you notice is from the steering motor and is above the water line, I have never noticed it spooking fish any more than my old Fortex.

1. How noticeable is the sound of the steering motor when turning? You get used to noise but it's not bad Is it loud enough that in your opinion it could spook fish? I don't think so, but I'm easy on the movement when Im trying get in close to cover

2. I Pilot Link vs Non Link. Does anyone regret not getting the link? Mainly just purchasing for spotlock which is on both. Anything else I would be missing out on? Have both never set link up, cant imagine not having the option though. I may set it up if I upgrade my bird
    @kennethandmacy
    2004 Triton 196
    200 Merc
    1199/898

I like link, it drops waypoints labeled SL1000.... spot lock, mine is set up not to save them and after I turn off the units they disappear, I can see where, when and how often I was in the area. Also when setting the AP button up as legacy mode it will drop a line on the humminbird from the boat to where ever it is pointed, this is great for keeping yourself oriented when off shore or even when close to shore to tee up an individual piece of structure, I do this and find it on livescope at 80' in 5' of water vs guessing if that is it till say 60'.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

13. Member
    Why does this topic come up so often. When the ultrex came out almost every pro switched to it even if they were with motor guide. Pros make there living fishing and most trails just follow the spawn so they fish lots of shallow water. Power poles make noise also but no one is worried about that. If you want spot lock then you need one or these type motors. They will change the way u fish for the better
    2017 Z18
    175 ProXS
    Dual Poles
    Ultrex
    2 Garmin 93SV+

14. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jg379 View Post
    Why does this topic come up so often. When the ultrex came out almost every pro switched to it even if they were with motor guide. Pros make there living fishing and most trails just follow the spawn so they fish lots of shallow water. Power poles make noise also but no one is worried about that. If you want spot lock then you need one or these type motors. They will change the way u fish for the better
    The reason it comes up is because people over analyze things.

With mine the steering noise is directly dependent on how fast you are turning the motor. Never spooked any fish, but I also watch what I'm doing when that shallow. As for link, if you have Birds or will be getting them, get the link version. The follow the contour feature works pretty darn good