Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bdog7198 View Post
    A little fishing is not worth leaving her with 4 kids on her own......
    True but worth it with only three! Hahahaha

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TownesZ21 View Post
    Find out how long it really is going to be. 2-3 weeks, just tell her it's important for your career to go. 2-3 months is a lot bigger deal considering the kids situation, this sounds soft but I honestly don't think I would do that with three young kids.
    Agree with this.

3. Airborne/Infantry bassnman81's Avatar
    Once you leave Rochester and go to Ga. and see how great it is down here you might not go home.

Lake Norman, N.C./New Britain, CT.
    An Khe 66-67

4. Member
    Wait a minute. You live in N.Y. and have a chance to move to Georgia? IMMEDIATELY get off here, pack your vehicle, tell your wife to get in, burn rubber backing out of the driveway, point your vehicle SOUTH, and get the H--- out of there! Count your lucky stars. Congratulations.

5. Team Catfish Original hatcreek's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 519DVX View Post
    ...we have 3 kids 6, 8, and 10 and I get them on the bus in the morning before heading to work. That would put all the burden on her...

Who controls John Gill?

6. Ft Gibson Lake America lakefolk's Avatar
    Probably should have mentioned that...it would be temporary...a couple weeks to a couple months.

Arguments for..."Stepping up" always looks good to the Sr. Management, and as mentioned, 20 minutes from Lake Lanier. I've never fished south of the Finger Lakes in NY.
    Arguments against...we have 3 kids 6, 8, and 10 and I get them on the bus in the morning before heading to work. That would put all the burden on her, and probably up our child care costs. She's a teacher and has to be to work before their bus comes.
    stay your ass home..........................

"Being a winner is more than getting a first place trophy, it is acting like the effort was an honor and the trophy is just a decoration."

"A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him"

7. Member
    Talk to your employer about the logistics. If it ends up being a longer duration would they fly you back, set you up with lodging, extra benefits for your inconvenience of being away from home such as bonus or extra pay. Get all the details and then lay it out with the wife. The trip needs to be about the work and the potential be if it’s for you and your family. If you do it the fishing opportunity is a bonus and something to take advantage of for sure.

8. Member
    This^^^^ Maybe they could cover the additional expense for daycare while you are down here. No need to bring the boat, I'm sure one of us can probably arrange to take you out (not me unless you don't want to catch any fish ).

If fishing is your primary reason for relocating then you might want to think about am I willing to leave some of the best smallmouth fishing in the nation to go fish Lake Lanier. Yes living in NY your time to fish year round will not be as great as if you lived in Georgia. However Rochester sits right on Lake Ontario, then you have the finger lakes, Oneida and 1000 Islands is only a few hours away. All of which are far better than Lake Lanier or most lakes in the Georgia area. I just don't think Georgia has what NY has to offer other than being able to fish year round with no hard water.

On a non fishing related discussion, it will be better weather in the winter, spring and fall in Georgia versus NY. Summer in NY will be better than what you experience in Georgia. My personal opinion is southern hospitality is better than what I have seen up north. Cost of living will be less in Georgia versus NY...but fishing in NY is better than Georgia in my opinion.

Our manager just sent out a note saying our site in Alpharetta GA needs support and since we are a little slow they'd like to have someone go down there. I just checked Google Maps and it's only 20 minutes from the closest launch on Lake Lanier.

So, how do I convince my wife that I should take this one? Do you think she'd be suspicious when I hook up the boat the night before I leave?
    I interned in Alpharetta during undergrad. It was a pretty awesome town...lots to do around it, close to the lake etc. Your wife would never be bored.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bass Junkie View Post
    I interned in Alpharetta during undergrad. It was a pretty awesome town...lots to do around it, close to the lake etc. Your wife would never be bored.
    ......and the kids would love the Lake. Lake Lanier is nice!! They can can go swimming from April till the end of September, sometimes the end of October lol. Also, Margaritaville is a great way to spend the day on the Lake.

12. Member
    It is better to ask for forgiveness than permission!

13. Member
    Put yourself before your wife and kids and head for Georgia.
    Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.

--Voltaire

14. Member
    Absolutely no way I would go with that deal. Maybe for a couple weeks but no way for an extended period. Raising kids is just too important to me. If you were offered a move that was permanent , if I was you I would not let the door hit me in the arse!

Take the wife and kids, or turn it down.

16. Member
    Come on down, we live on Lanier about 25 min. from there. The company I retired from was and still is big in Rochester, brand X Xerox

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bdog7198 View Post
    A little fishing is not worth leaving her with 4 kids on her own......
    Been to lake Lanier and the finger lakes. You wouldn't have enough time to learn Lanier unless you hired a guide. There is a reason your area is one of the hottest locations in the country. I worked with a guy briefly from that region. After trying to talk to him about my adventures I realized where he was born and raised and started asking him about what real fishing experiences were like.

20 minutes from Lake Lanier ramp , you must be about 1/2 mile away . Come on down one more yankee will not matter and leave the wife at home she can find something to do .

19. Member
    Don't take your boat, but concentrate on the job and do well enough you can transfer down here. With the much lower state taxes you will get an immediate raise, plus much lower cost of living.

20. Member
    I left part of my heart in Alpharetta GA I'd go back there but she marri d to a BIG somebitch
    ~~1995 Gambler~~

Mercury 250 ProXS
    Bobs 10" AJ
    Dual Power Poles
    2-HB 1199's HB 1158 HB 597 in dash
    Ultrex 112

"Runs like a cheetah... with his @$$ on fire"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast