Thread: 1980 ride

1980 ride

I have never ridden in a Vexus boat. My only experiences come from driving 19-20 feet glass boats. How similar to a glass boat of the same size does the 1980 ride ?

Quote Originally Posted by spbubba73 View Post
    I have never ridden in a Vexus boat. My only experiences come from driving 19-20 feet glass boats. How similar to a glass boat of the same size does the 1980 ride ?

Blind folded you won't know which boat you are riding in. I have 1980 and every person that has rode in mine says the same thing, rides just like a glass boat. Lots of nay sayers but they haven't rode in one either.
    2021 Vexus 2080, Merc ProXs 200
    2019 Vexus 1980, Evinrude G2 150 H.O. - moved onto a new owner

Smooth as glass. No pun intended
    Vexus AVX 1880
    Pro XS 115
    6” MJP
    Garmin 94SV’s
    Force TM

4. Moderator
    The hardest thing for me to get used to is the shallow draft. Alot defrent around docks. I just have to used to it I guess.
    Vince Dart- Jim Thorpe PA

Quote Originally Posted by dartman View Post
    The hardest thing for me to get used to is the shallow draft. Alot defrent around docks. I just have to used to it I guess.
    I have noticed the same thing with my 1880. My range rt 178 tracked better. It was easier to pull up to a dock. It does not like to go in reverse to. It is very smooth on plane in light chop.

Thank you for the the information.

7. Member
    I came from a Triton 18 ft glass boat to the 1980. Love the boat and the ride. Does great in rough water. Would never know it's aluminum. But at idle in wind it can get a bit "slippery"

Quote Originally Posted by TDWalk View Post
    I came from a Triton 18 ft glass boat to the 1980. Love the boat and the ride. Does great in rough water. Would never know it's aluminum. But at idle in wind it can get a bit "slippery"
    Reverse can be fun too in a busy marina.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonesslk View Post
    Reverse can be fun too in a busy marina.
    That's why I just shut down the motor and flop down the ultrex, easy to put it where you want it.

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Tin boats with a pad hull are notoriously tricky when idling around docks if there is a breeze and reverse can have a mind of its own. Definitely smart to use the electric and lead it by its nose. It avoids embarrassing moments��
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tcesni View Post
    Tin boats with a pad hull are notoriously tricky when idling around docks if there is a breeze and reverse can have a mind of its own. Definitely smart to use the electric and lead it by its nose. It avoids embarrassing moments��
    I'm glad I came across these posts about maneuvering these boats in reverse. I was beginning to really doubt my boating skills. Lol!! I'm going to adopt the use of the TM around docks. I'm relieved to see that it's just not me... :)

Quote Originally Posted by Guntucky View Post
    That's why I just shut down the motor and flop down the ultrex, easy to put it where you want it.
    If it is crowded, that is exactly what I do, it is way easier and I agree with the comment that it avoids those embarrassing moments.

13. BBC SPONSOR
    I have a 2080 and came out of a 19' glass boat. I think my 2080 rides better!

Like others have said idling around or backing up definitely not the same, but I am adapting to that and know how to avoid any issues! But just riding down the lake the Vexus aluminum boats are same or better than glass in most situations!

14. Member
    I love it and my fishing buddy loves it. He fishes out of his tournament partner’s Triton 21/225 Mercury and his other buddies Ranger/175hp Mariner, and he is just always bragging on this Vexus AVX1980/G2. The Evinrude foot throttle is a huge plus in all conditions, and it especially helps around docks by allowing quick bursts of throttle to get it moving the right direction in reverse. I wish everyone could drive an Evinrude foot throttled 1980 or 2080 before they made their Vexus order. It is a huge advantage in hole shot, top end speed, maneuverability in rough water, fuel efficiency, and of course WARRANTY! JMHO others will differ.
    white Vexus AVX 1980 - white Evinrude G2 150hp HO

15. Member
    I have a 1980. In rough water it doesn't compare to a nice glass boat the same size. But it's pretty dam good for an aluminum boat.

Quote Originally Posted by sandman7925 View Post
    I have a 1980. In rough water it doesn't compare to a nice glass boat the same size. But it's pretty dam good for an aluminum boat.
    I think it depends on the brand when you talk glass boats. A Triton 18/19'er or a Nitro 18/19 rides rougher than a Vexus. They are on the lower end of the glass boats though. Anyone that has rode in all of them knows first hand that is a fact. However, in comparison to say a BC or Phoenix 819, yea they have the edge no. But still for a Vexus tin, it is a comparison to glass boats not to other tin boats.

17. Member
    Interesting. That's saying something because my lower end Triton 18XS/TRX rides pretty dam good for an 18 footer (prolly one of the better in the 18 ft class), and I have been in quite a few rigs. Never been in a Vexus, but have been in and owned most of the others. Cant compare those
    Last edited by MetsFan9; 02-27-2020 at 10:09 AM.