Tracker/Mercury Trim sticks occasionally

I have a 2006 Tracker PT190 with Mercury Optimax 90 HP engine. From time to time when adjusting the trim it sticks and raises all the way up and stays engaged until I remove the cowling and tap the relay with a screwdriver. This appears to be totally arbitrary. I have had it happen while going full throttle down the lake as well as putting on the transom saver. I have replaced the relay multiple times and it still happens. Not sure what to do. Any ideas?

It does sound like a bad relay, but obviously not since you replaced it.
    I have a 115 Optimax and have had to replace the trim switch on the cowl 3 times. But..... I consider this to be my fault since my transducer constantly sprays water on it.
    I would try to isolate the switches as the culprit, the easiest being the cowl switch, Just unplug it.
    If that does not solve the problem, reconnect it and remove the power from the bow trim switch.
    I don’t have high confidence that the switches are the problem but they are easy to isolate and should be done just to be thorough.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

My thought is that besides the above things, it could be the brushes going bad or dirty in the trim motor. Next time it sticks, before you do anything else, see if you are getting voltage to the motor. If you are getting power down there, tap lightly the motor. If it starts working, it's probably the brushes. If you have a good automotive starter and alternator repair shop still left around your area (they are becoming rare), then they could repair it. Or you might find somebody parting out an old motor....or may e Ebay......The new OEM motors can be a little pricey.
    ----------------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

2013 RANGER RT188 - YAMAHA F115 - ULTREX - LOWRANCE GRAPHS
    LOCK-N-HAUL Transom Saver, ALL ABOARD Emergency Ladder
    1996 RANGER CHEROKEE - 40 YAMAHA

4. Member
    The problem is that the motor is staying on and going to the full up position and it continues to run until the relay is tapped. It does seem like the relay is sticking, I'm just not sure what would cause that. I know the contacts can get corrode over time and that will cause sticking. But I replaced the relay multiple times. I guess I can take the relay apart next time to check.

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Great, now I have something to worry about with my 2004 Optimax 90. Let us know how it works out for you.
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

My fault. I misunderstood the problem.

My Cherokee did what you are describing. Twice I went out and the motor had magically trimmed all the way up. Water had gotten in the front (bow) trim toggle switch. Swapped out the the bad toggle switch and it fixed it.
    ----------------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

2013 RANGER RT188 - YAMAHA F115 - ULTREX - LOWRANCE GRAPHS
    LOCK-N-HAUL Transom Saver, ALL ABOARD Emergency Ladder
    1996 RANGER CHEROKEE - 40 YAMAHA

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Panama View Post
    My fault. I misunderstood the problem.

My Cherokee did what you are describing. Twice I went out and the motor had magically trimmed all the way up. Water had gotten in the front (bow) trim toggle switch. Swapped out the the bad toggle switch and it fixed it.
    The bad thing when this happens, if the fuse doesnt blow and sometimes they wont, the trim motor
    will catch on fire. It can cost you a boat, and maybe your house, if it happens in the garage, while unattended.
    LDS
    Larry D. Scott Retired KY Water patrol/F&W
    www.greatscottshooters.com

2008 TRACKER TV 18 w/150 Mercury 4S
    MK Ultrex 80lb, 102 Garmin Live scope
    and a UHD93SV Garmin on the bow.
    UHD 93SV at the console.

This problem drove me crazy for several months, the first time it trimmed down overnight and killed my starting battery. Then it would trim up at the ramp or when driving down the road. My dealer replaced everything over a period of several months, bow switch, relays etc., but finally fixed it when he replaced the cowling switch. That is why I suggested unhooking it inside the cowling as a first trouble shooting step.
    During this process, I installed a battery cutoff switch to kill all power to the motor and I still turn it off when not in use.
    You mentioned taking the relay apart to check the contacts, but from what I remember, they are small plastic sealed relays.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

9. Member
    I'll check that out. I have never had it happen without me first pressing the trim switch. It has happened while going down the lake at full power while adjusting the trim switch and that causes obvious problems like having to kill the motor almost immediately and almost swamping the boat. If someone is with me it helps since I can push the down trim button and hold it down which will keep it from raising completely. This doesn't stop the motor from "trying" to raise but it does neutralize it until someone can tap the relay. That's the problem, it never happens "accidentally" meaning that I do actually push the trim button whether it be the front one, the one at the console or the one on the motor. It is however, "arbitrary" meaning I can't predict when it will happen. I do have the three different relays that I have replaced, so I will remove the plastic covers and look at them to see if they are actually damaged.

Thanks for the input. I'm sure we will figure it out eventually.

10. Member
    You should post this in the Mercury Motor forum.