Thread: Frozen temps

Frozen temps

I live in Iowa where it can be nice one day and below freezing the next. I was wondering how safe is it to use your boat during this time if it’s stored outside? If you drain the water at the ramp by lowering the motor is that enough?

Quote Originally Posted by GoneFishingLTN View Post
    I live in Iowa where it can be nice one day and below freezing the next. I was wondering how safe is it to use your boat during this time if it’s stored outside? If you drain the water at the ramp by lowering the motor is that enough?
    Assuming you raise your motor back up to trailer, I think so. (Mine will drain most of the water when trimmed down at the ramp, but a small amount more will run back out when I trim it back up...probably not enough to do any damage, but it makes me feel better to see that last bit run out...I do leave the motor down when it's parked so that I don't end up with precipitation accumulating and running into the motor). I've seen guys pull the kill switch and turn them over a couple times on the ramp, or at the extreme even fire them up for a couple seconds while on the trailer to force any remnants of water out, but I don't think that's necessary, especially for the risk of running them dry. I've mostly seen that from guys fishing the Rainy River or Mississippi soon after it breaks up in the spring when they're often out in temps at 10 degrees or colder.

Additional things to consider are removing the plug to make sure no water is in the bilge (which is probably a law in Iowa anyway), open livewell drains (again, probably a law), and I always flick on my bilge and livewell pumps for a second or three after making sure the water is drained out of the boat to ensure there's no water laying in them or the valves. That last part is almost definitely unnecessary as I've never seen any water come out of them - I assume they're designed to let water drain out to prevent freezing issues - but it gives me peace of mind.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

3. Banned
    Sure, use it... Drain it at the ramp and when you get home trim the engine down again so it's vertical and it will drain any trapped water that may have been left... Dan

4. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan21XRS View Post
    Sure, use it... Drain it at the ramp and when you get home trim the engine down again so it's vertical and it will drain any trapped water that may have been left... Dan
    Yep !!

When it's cold I pull it. Out and put it down and up three or four times with the right amount of pause at each position. They are made to be used in cold temperatures.

oddly enough I have trailed home 130 miles in the single digits for 2 hours and their is still a few drops of water when I lower it in the driveway to get in the garage, and the motor will still be 50-80* haha
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

Don't forget the water pressure gauge line. Make sure to drain it

Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    Assuming you raise your motor back up to trailer, I think so. (Mine will drain most of the water when trimmed down at the ramp, but a small amount more will run back out when I trim it back up...probably not enough to do any damage, but it makes me feel better to see that last bit run out...I do leave the motor down when it's parked so that I don't end up with precipitation accumulating and running into the motor). I've seen guys pull the kill switch and turn them over a couple times on the ramp, or at the extreme even fire them up for a couple seconds while on the trailer to force any remnants of water out, but I don't think that's necessary, especially for the risk of running them dry. I've mostly seen that from guys fishing the Rainy River or Mississippi soon after it breaks up in the spring when they're often out in temps at 10 degrees or colder.

Additional things to consider are removing the plug to make sure no water is in the bilge (which is probably a law in Iowa anyway), open livewell drains (again, probably a law), and I always flick on my bilge and livewell pumps for a second or three after making sure the water is drained out of the boat to ensure there's no water laying in them or the valves. That last part is almost definitely unnecessary as I've never seen any water come out of them - I assume they're designed to let water drain out to prevent freezing issues - but it gives me peace of mind.

Do this and you will be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by pietco View Post
    Don't forget the water pressure gauge line. Make sure to drain it
    We actually unhooked ours in the dead of winter.

Quote Originally Posted by Hair Jig View Post
    We actually unhooked ours in the dead of winter.
    I've never unhooked mine and never had issues. It's sitting outside wrapped up tight as I type this; it was -11 real temp this morning. Maybe it's my motor that makes it not an issue? Old Merc XRi
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

Eh I never unhook mine, 4 winter so far no issue. Only reason you would have an issue is if the gauge leaks and water gets in the gauge. Other problems are as simple as it doesn't work haha says zero but both mph and water pressure are present. Unhooking in fall and forgetting to hook back up will lead to a high pressure water leak the size of a pencil. Can get a wet lap for sure

11. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    Store with the leg trimmed down as stated above and plug out ,I put a T in my water line after having to replace 2 water pressure gauges.I leave a long line from the T that I put in a bottle to catch what is draining and use a golf Tee to plug it . I can see it hanging down when I get in the boat so no wet laps or shoes and easy to tuck out of the way till I need it again
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

12. Member
    I have no clue how to unhook anything or where it’s located I have a Merc 4 stroke. Is there a link to teach this? Is it still recommend for this motor

Quote Originally Posted by GoneFishingLTN View Post
    I have no clue how to unhook anything or where it’s located I have a Merc 4 stroke. Is there a link to teach this? Is it still recommend for this motor
    Basically look under the dash behind the speedo and water pressure gauge and there should be a small plastic air line, should just pull off.