Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Okeechobee Condition??

Does anyone know what kind of condition is Okeechobee in? I have seen alot of post on Facebook talking about how the spraying is hurting the lake, and also saw some results from a BFL from a couple of weeks ago that didn't look so good. I was wanting to come fish the FLW Costa (Toyota Series) next month as a co-angler, but would really hate to make that 12 hour drive if the lake is in terrible condition.

2. Member
    Watch the MLF. They will be fishing there for 6 days starting on Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by szusa071 View Post
    Watch the MLF. They will be fishing there for 6 days starting on Friday.
    I have to make a decision before then unfortunately, but I have already seen some of the MLF guys saying that it will not fish like normal.

4. Member
    Got ya. Yeah pretty tough to make a decision like that not knowing what to expect. Good luck to you.

5. Member
    I believe they are at Ok-Con 2.

You have a pm.......

7. Member
    I wouldn’t make the drive. The south eastern would be much better options

8. Member
    What is the issue for fishing it? All the other anglers will be facing the same conditions won't they?

9. Member
    My Dad winter's on the Big O and he's had a fantastic winter so far. Several LM over 5 lbs and a couple over 8. dad.jpg
    “Without uncompromising faith, no miracle can ever occur.” - Stan Kellner

10. Member
    Bad part is that’s not good for O. Or at least not used to be. It’s the new normal.

11. Member
    I just got back. Bass spawning everywhere. 4 airboats spraying Monkey Box area all day every day for the 2 weeks I was there. Most bass fishermen I saw were fishing the area between Harney Pond and Prairie Creek. 2 major cold fronts came through while there and hurt the fishing for several days. The bass are still there.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bcreek View Post
    I just got back. Bass spawning everywhere. 4 airboats spraying Monkey Box area all day every day for the 2 weeks I was there. Most bass fishermen I saw were fishing the area between Harney Pond and Prairie Creek. 2 major cold fronts came through while there and hurt the fishing for several days. The bass are still there.
    That's just criminal, not the time or place but it breaks my heart that they still do that.

13. Member
    Bass are still there for sure. Bass Nation Southeastern Regional at the end of January 2020 took 60lbs for the 3 day event. Multiple bags over 23lbs during the derby. Go search the results online. Also, the majority of the guys fishing that tourney are not local so pretty good results I’d say.
    David
    2014 Ranger Z521C
    Fishing Lanier, Hartwell, Tennessee River & Coosa River

14. Member
    Water levels are low and I have not hit a good bite in over 2 years. Indeed I caught several 9's in the rim canal but hard to find water with hydrilla that would setup an epic 2 hour stretch. I can't say what the OP should do but can share this. My father is at my house on Okeechobee right now and I won't be flying down to meet him for the first time in maybe 5 years. I will go down and board the house up for hurricane season in April. Will fish if the lake has enough water to launch in.
    2024 Phoenix 818
    2024 merc 175 pro xs 3B411947

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by twise7 View Post
    My Dad winter's on the Big O and he's had a fantastic winter so far. Several LM over 5 lbs and a couple over 8. dad.jpg
    she looks to be gill hooked

16. Member
    Probably one of those Mann’s 12 inch worms.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbassdaddy1190 View Post
    she looks to be gill hooked
    I noticed that too but I don’t know if it was Gill hooked or if she just swallowed the hook. Knowing my dad, he was able to get the hook out regardless with minimal damage to the fish. My big notice was its tail. Looks like half of it is missing.
    “Without uncompromising faith, no miracle can ever occur.” - Stan Kellner

18. Member
    Just returned from 2 week trip, going back in about 10 days. lake is a bit low so don't run the boat lanes, the west side of the lake is super clean with lots of eel grass. The BFL took place on the same weekend as a wicked cold front rolled it.
    The lake is getting better every year since the hurricane.

If you're signing up as a coangler in a semi pro event, you really have zero say in what you will do the day of the tournament, your odds of winning really don't change whether or not the lake is fishing tough or fishing great. I just fished Okeechobee 3 weeks ago and caught an 8 lber, but it was a grind as they say. If you decide to fish it, my advice to you would be to pay close attention to everywhere the "pro" casts and make sure to hit every patch of cover that he doesn't. You have to create your own opportunities down there. You have to have the attitude that "My next cast could be a 10 lber" and be motivated all day no matter how tough it gets. Good luck if you decide to go, I would if I had the chance.

20. Member
    I fished the Bass Nation down there in late January. Massive cold front kicked then in the head 7 days before our event. It got better everyday and I caught fish flipping up to 5lbs and lost several over 5 in the thickest stuff. I don’t have the gear or knowledge to fish down there but it impressed me for a first timer (realizing it was way, way off for it normal late winter/spring). Lots of spraying down there didn’t impact the fishing that I saw. It’s a real gem for sure.
    Lanierspotman
    2023 Skeeter 21ZXR 2023 250 SHO
    Lake Lanier, GA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast