Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

People walking on the road at night dressed entirely in Black

This is becoming a worse and worse problem around here. Last night on the way home around 8:30 I passed someone walking along the side of a 2 lane road wearing black pants, a black hoodie, nothing reflective at all. I'm truly not sure how I missed them but I did.

It's not the first time. It's a common occurrence. I believe most of the time it's druggies who have no car or lost their license or who knows but as many as I run across like that it amazes me we don't have an accident a night around here with someone hitting one of them.

I would truly hate to hit someone and hurt or kill them but I can't see holding someone at fault for hitting someone who doesn't have sense enough to either make sure they are visible or stay out of the road at night. It seems like every trip to town and back these days it's dodging deer in the road, dogs in the road, varmints in the road, and people in the road.

2. Shutterbug Forum Moderator bdog7198's Avatar
    ha ha.....walking on the side of the road and they are automatically druggies.....
    Prints and more available at: http://BSPhotography.co/
    Digital downloads available at: https://licensing.pixels.com/profiles/1-brian-shoemaker
    IG: BSPhotographyZ9

3. Member
    Yea it is a problem around here too. Along with people driving without their lights on.

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bdog7198 View Post
    ha ha.....walking on the side of the road and they are automatically druggies.....
    Everyone knows druggies don't drive. They already sold their car for dope.

5. Member
    Ha, I sometimes walk my dog at night on our quiet country road that has maybe 2 cars per hour. Walk against traffic and wear a reflective vest but it's surprising how often cars take evasive action at the last second because they obviously didn't see me. Must be drunks texting with one hand, drinking with the other and steering with their knees.

In all seriousness, there's no shoulder so I usually step onto the grass and wait for them to pass. But I have seen young people wearing dark clothes walking with traffic and it's not too bright if you value your life

6. Member
    If not druggies then a prime candidate for Darwinism.
    Buddy Webster USN(retired)

2007 Triton TR-196 w/200 Optimax
    2018 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ 6.2 4x4
    2003 Jeep Rubicon
    http://www.bbcboards.net/swap-sell/

7. Banned

To piggyback on the softest tube thread... I present: TheTubes™

also see: John Cash impersonators walking to/fro gig

8. Member
    Darwinism at its finest.

Dripping Springs, Texas and Wahpeton, Iowa
    Quote Originally Posted by yatesville88fan View Post
    Yea it is a problem around here too. Along with people driving without their lights on.
    Black might be those folks's favorite color

They could be a little introverted not wanting to stand out by wearing bright flashy clothing they probably need to "Reflect" a little on the consequences of their clothing selection.

10. Member
    Are you certain it wasn't navy blue? Interesting that anyone walking is a druggie.

11. T Dub
    I see a ton of people walking on the wrong side of the road these days - respectable people in the day and druggies at night.....

12. Member
    In my area the last 2 years 2 people have been ran over and killed walking in the middle of the road dressed in black just like you have seen . 1 was just 2 weeks ago and was hit by a Mack truck. Neither driver was charged.

13. Member

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Thomas View Post
    In my area the last 2 years 2 people have been ran over and killed walking in the middle of the road dressed in black just like you have seen . 1 was just 2 weeks ago and was hit by a Mack truck. Neither driver was charged.
    Neither Driver was charged, as well they should not have been. However they will have what happened hanging over their heads and wearing at their minds and soles the rest of their natural life
    2018 Ram Big Horn Crew With "CUMMINS POWER"
    2016 Bullet 21 XRD 250 PRO XS
    Minn Kota Ultrex
    Lowrance
    Garmin
    Bravo XS Prop
    Bobs Hyd. 14" Plate

15. Member
    Anyone walking in the road at night dressed in all dark colors with out some type of reflection material is not thinking too well! Whether a druggy or someone walking their dog. I would just get out of the dang road! So easy to just not see them in time. State law here is you are supposed to walk facing on coming traffic. That’s so you know you are going to get your arse ran over!

16. Banned
    IL >Tinley Park & Shawnee N.F. Lakes Explorer. Help..
    I have a 75 foot driveway that has a 12ft hill(sharp incline) and post light about 20 feet from the street. 5 years ago, I was going to work at 5:30am and I notice a black garbage bag at the end of the driveway. I walk down to pick it up and it was a drunk 24 year chick old sleeping on the end of my driveway in 20 degree weather all dressed in black..I pray &give Thanks every morning when I am backing down the dark driveway that I did not back over this stupid kid.. I almost had to force her into my Envoy and gave her a ride to friends house who would not let her drive home. She still wanted to stumble across forest preserve (short cut) to her house 8 miles away..

17. Member
    We've had several people hit and killed in my area as well - walking along side the road at night dressed in dark clothing. I've seen it in my neighborhood - there is one section of road where there is no street light and a lot of trees and you encounter people walking at night dressed in all black. One person I saw was all in black walking a black dog. My neigborhood has no sidewalks which makes it worse.

I also am surprised that there are not more accidents like this because I am actually looking and paying attention and still have to take evasive action when this happens. I have walked my dog in this neighborhood at night wearing reflective vests, the dogs leash and collar are reflective and I've had to dive into the weeds to avoid being hit by distracted drivers. I no longer walk the dog outside of the yard because of the close calls I've had. She's blind and older now so it's much more difficult to get her out of the way quickly.

While we are on the topic, there are also people who walk down the middle of the road and refuse to move - day and night - in my neighborhood. One lady used to put her headphones in and do laps around the block, right down the middle of the road, oblivious to people driving up behind her. Of course there are also some teenagers who do this just to be difficult.
    2009 Tracker Pro 170 TX - Mercury 40 HP EFI

I see it all the time

19. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    This happened to a friend and I driving from my house in central Florida to Eufalua. We wanted to hunt that morning so we started the 6 hour drive pretty early. On 82 just before Albany, Ga we saw a person sitting on the white line, dressed in ALL black. This was 2009 or so and still freaks me out to this day!

It was dumb luck I didn’t hit that person. I don’t swerve for animals, period, and thought it was a hog. With a 1 ton truck and a 30’ trailer packed with the entire clubs ATVs it would taken a lot for me to swerve...not safe to sit on the road at 3am!
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

20. Proud American Union local16's Avatar
    Was he singing Ring of Fire ?

Dale Sinclair original

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast