198P and a Ghost trolling motor?

I’m going to order a Ghost TM. Has anyone installed one on their 198P yet? Allen

2. Member
    I ordered a new Ghost yesterday and I will receive it next week. I’m surprised no one with a 198P has installed one yet?

A buddy of mine has had one on his 198 for a while. Fished Guntersville with it last week with him. The 24v was more than enough, but the head is very loud. I couldn't handle it if it was on my boat. Much louder than my ultrex.

4. Member
    Everyone I have talked to says it’s quieter than the ultrex. Hmmm

Quote Originally Posted by Jspeelman View Post
    Everyone I have talked to says it’s quieter than the ultrex. Hmmm
    Well just to play devils advocate: If you just spent $3200 on a trolling motor, you wouldn't say anything bad about it now would you. And fisherman never lie.

6. Member
    I just finished my install yesterday. I will head to Shasta soon to check it out.
    Attached Images Attached Images

7. Member
    Curious if the stock cover still fits? The ghost's i seen in person looked very well made!

8. Member
    I have the stock Ranger cover and I bet it will fit with no problem. Yes, the quality and workmanship is awesome. It actually bolted right into the existing holes of Minn Kota Maxxum including the foot petal. The Maxxum was bolted on with 4 bolts, I added 2 more per the Lowrance recommendation. The 198P flat deck made the install a breeze.

9. Member
    I installed one on my 2017 198.

It does have some head noise issues when turning fast, but at normal turning speed it is ok. The motor itself is whisper quiet. The power is awesome and can cut through vegetation like a food processor. On high and no wind I can get 3.5 MPH out of it with just me in the boat and tackle.

10. LDraper
    I have seen where a few people are having trouble with The Ghost and the GPS anchoring. Curious if any of you run into that problem. Hopefully not because I would like to order one in the next few weeks.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LDraper View Post
    I have seen where a few people are having trouble with The Ghost and the GPS anchoring. Curious if any of you run into that problem. Hopefully not because I would like to order one in the next few weeks.
    I have had no troubles out of it on spot lock. Still waiting on Lowrance to come out with the update so I can run it from the graphs. But spot lock holds pretty close.

12. LDraper
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer Dog View Post
    I have had no troubles out of it on spot lock. Still waiting on Lowrance to come out with the update so I can run it from the graphs. But spot lock holds pretty close.
    After doing a good bit of reading, seems like the location of the GPS puck is critical. Where did you end up mounting yours if you do not mind me asking?

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LDraper View Post
    After doing a good bit of reading, seems like the location of the GPS puck is critical. Where did you end up mounting yours if you do not mind me asking?
    Just to the port side of the nav light socket.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer Dog View Post
    Just to the port side of the nav light socket.
    Hello HD, have you already used the trolling motor with the Compass mounted next to the nav light socket? Does it work fine there? I thought about that location but I was concerned about mounting it so close to the trolling motor base. Can please share a picture? Thank you Sir, Allen

15. Member
    I taped down the Compass puck down on far port side, at the end of the rubber mat, just under the Ghost trolling motor head to verify that location would work for the puck. The ghost clears it with no problem when stored. I did the 2 step calibration process and the motor works perfectly. I will drill a hole through the rubber on the deck and the hull to run the wire so it’s hidden under the puck.