Prop suggestions

2020 Bass Cat Cougar
    250 4 Stroke S/N 2B647448
    Fury 3 24P

I was out breaking the motor in this weekend and trimmed all the way down the bow went straight up in the air out of the hole.

I don't think this is normal, but if it is I would like to have some suggestions on bringing the bow down, and will be happy to sacrifice top end to do it.

Thanks

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Let's look at overall performance (not to negate your concern, just to set it aside for a moment):

-What are you getting for WOT Speed, RPM and Water Pressure?

-What is the current PTP (Prop to Pad) height?

-What jackplate are you running?

-What size PVS plugs are in your Fury 3-24P?

-And... What RPM's do you hit initially when you accelerate for holeshot?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    I will answer all I can now, and I will have to run the boat again to get others

WOT: 70 on most of the 1 minute runs but 72 on a few
    PTP: 3.5"
    Jackplate: 8" slidemaster manual *Bass Cat standard
    PVS plugs: None..... That is how it came from the dealer and no plugs in the bag with my manuals

All the RPM's and water pressure I will need to collect on my next run.

Not sure if that is enough to even guess at a solution.

Thanks for your time.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Probably better get the rest of the data before offering suggestions- as the RPM's and water pressure are certainly VERY critical parts of the puzzle.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Would also suggest posting this on the Bass cat forum. These V8's may require a totally different prop and setup. Bass cat did a lot of testing at lake X with Mercury using these new motors and lower units. Could save you a lot of time and money.

Cross over to the Bass Cat forum board, or visit their web site and Owners Board, and we will be glad to help.

7. Member
    Fury 3, 24 pitch is the standard and most popular prop on the new 4 stroke and BCB 20 footers.
    At 70-71 mph your still low on speed. Knowing your RPM's will help. This is an upper 70's to 80 mph rig. Will have to drive the chine to get top performance from the rig.

Make SURE that motor is trimming all the way down tight against the engine support.
    The Puma/Cougar will come out the hole bow high as compared to the Sabre. They have rear tanks. Sabre's tank is under the seats.
    Normally the 20 foot BCB's come out the hole with the bow rising and may have slight prop blow out when setting down.

As you reach the 70 mph mark and trimmed properly you should have slight left steering torque. If steering feels numb and loose at 70 mph, you may need to raise the JP.
    JP set up is done at speed using steering torque feedback and maintaining water pressure. Though with the low water pickups this is not much of an issue (water pressure).

As stated, more info (RPM's, Speed, trim, boat load, left steering torque {hard/easy to turn steering left}) will assist in helping you.
    Post on the BCB site and you will get more help.
    http://www.bbcboards.net/forumdisplay.php?f=30
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs