Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How long till we have Tesla-style outboard engines??

680 HP available in the automotive version with pretty good range. Seems it’s inevitable that the outboard industry will evolve in the same manner the auto market is going, but when?

2. Member
    I think they're already starting to arrive. A quick google discovered "Torquepeedos", which seem to be an electric-only outboard engine they are claiming is equivalent to an 80HP. Looks like they need an absurd amount of batteries though, which I'd wager will be the biggest deterrent to adoption. Right now it looks like only hulls built specifically for those massive battery banks are remotely feasible. They'll have to make some big strides in compacting those batteries to get 'em to fit on a bass boat.
    2020 Triton TRX189 B B W
    Mercury ProXS 150 I B O
    Garmin EchoMAP Plus (2x) G A L
    Toyota 4Runner D F

3. Member
    If H-cell technology/infrastructure becomes avaliable, then I predict 10 years.

If we have to wait for the next evolution of battery technology, then 15+ years.

How about 300 HP in an electric outboard?

https://www.boatingmag.com/boats/shockingly-powerful/
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

I've been running Torqeedo motors on my kayaks for the last several years in a couple different renditions. They are pretty impressive motors!

Just as soon as battery tech catches up. The torque would be unreal in a bassboat application. Instant holeshot...
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

7. Member
    I’m running 10 Relion rb 100s lithium batteries for my electric only only reservoirs. A blistering 8 mph lol

This is one of sister companies...

https://www.correctcraft.com/ingenit...nal-boat-show/

9. Member
    I have 52 gallons of fuel in my boat so that would be around 416 pounds plus the tank weight. So as long as the batteries weigh less were good. Prius Battery 180 pounds
    Tesla Battery 1200 pounds
    1996 Stratos 201 pro xl
    1996 Johnson Faststrike J150GLEDB

10. Member
    They don’t need to be outboards. Direct drive is the direction that needs to be taken.

11. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    Besides the cost I would miss the growl of my current 250 DFI engine.....The tech is coming....but it has a LONG way to go to get my $$... Thank GOD I will be dead and gone before that tech takes over....but my kids and grandkids will miss the old tech.....Simply because they will not be able to afford the new "GREEN Technology"....

12. Member
    I already miss the smell of two stroke in the morning.

Whats going to happen when the “woke” individuals realize electric motors in cars pollute more than a gas one?

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

Quote Originally Posted by alli ss View Post
    Whats going to happen when the “woke” individuals realize electric motors in cars pollute more than a gas one?
    That not going to happen simply because they don't pollute more, far less, Yes I know all the (buts), but they are not true for the most part. Water, wind and solar is the future, Batteries will get extremely effiecient and charge times will be reduced to minutes. In 25 years we will see 1,000 mile plus range on a charge. You wont be able to buy a gas motor for any car or light truck
    Thank You Leon Pugh

Quote Originally Posted by lpugh View Post
    That not going to happen simply because they don't pollute more, far less, Yes I know all the (buts), but they are not true for the most part. Water, wind and solar is the future, Batteries will get extremely effiecient and charge times will be reduced to minutes. In 25 years we will see 1,000 mile plus range on a charge. You wont be able to buy a gas motor for any car or light truck
    Well, im an electrical engineer (irrelevant), work for a huge power utility, and own a plug in hybrid (volt). I can assure you an electric car pollutes more- especially a battery only car. Ask anybody who has ever charged one and paid the electric bill themselves or get to see the power usage stats of public chargers. As far as your predictions for the future- i hope youre right.

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

16. Member
    I mean it's a fairly simple concept... Flexible lithium cells fill the entire boat, the top cap is all one giant solar panel.

Boat and motor would have to be fully integrated for the first few generations, but eventually you could probably plug and play. The boat Is the entire battery.

Problem would be the torque... That prop would cavitate so bad, there would have to be some sort of power step up in place, or no one would ever go anywhere. Imagine stepping on the gas and instantly having full power

17. Member
    I’ll never understand the attachment to growling motors and two stroke oil. I care about performance and reliability and when batteries get there in an affordable way I’ll switch. It’s like when Porsche didn’t want to put high end stereos in their cars because people would rather listen to the “six cylinder symphony.” No, I’d rather listen to my music thank you. The first time a Tesla Roadster left me standing still on the freeway in a BMW with instant torque and no sound I was sold on it and they’ve only gotten better since.
    Besides that imagine how much quieter it would be when approaching areas to fish.

I’ve always thought a Hydrogen outboard would be the king of the water

Yes Yes we are not even close at this time but consider

Hydrogen can be made by electrolysis of water and separating the hydrogen

This would make the entire lake your fuel source with clean emissions
    "The handicapped angler"

19. Banned
    Once battery tech advances we'll start seeing it. But the boat building process will also need to change a good bit in order to make these battery packs easily replaceable.

Honestly, I don't care. Gas, electric. I just want something that's fast, light, easy to maintain and service, and relatively easy and fast to recharge or refuel.

20. Member
    If you figure the weight of the outboard and the fuel in full tanks they are very close now
    2018 BASSCAT COUGAR FTD
    MERCURY 250 PRO XS 2B524980

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast