Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Riccochet View Post
    Once battery tech advances we'll start seeing it. But the boat building process will also need to change a good bit in order to make these battery packs easily replaceable.

Honestly, I don't care. Gas, electric. I just want something that's fast, light, easy to maintain and service, and relatively easy and fast to recharge or refuel.
    ^^^ This ^^^ + reasonably priced.
    Do not take your half in the middle ....

Quote Originally Posted by MichAngler View Post
    I’ve always thought a Hydrogen outboard would be the king of the water

Yes Yes we are not even close at this time but consider

Hydrogen can be made by electrolysis of water and separating the hydrogen

This would make the entire lake your fuel source with clean emissions
    Amen!!

Hydrogen is the most sustainable and pollution free source of energy known, but sadly it has already been labeled "unsafe" do to storage tank concerns. Hopefully one day they will get it figured out and the special interest groups will cease to give it a bad name.
    "heard it in a love song.........can't be wrong"

3. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sodaksker View Post
    Amen!!

Hydrogen is the most sustainable and pollution free source of energy known, but sadly it has already been labeled "unsafe" do to storage tank concerns. Hopefully one day they will get it figured out and the special interest groups will cease to give it a bad name.
    It'll be commercially viable when they figure out how to separate hydrogen and oxygen from water where it takes less energy than it uses. Right now electrolysis is energy expensive. Ideally you're not going to want to drive around with a tank of hydrogen and a tank of oxygen to power a chemical fuel cell. We need a way to drive around with a tank of water where the hydrogen and oxygen can be separated on demand which then power a fuel cell. Right now it takes more electricity to separate then you get out of a fuel cell.

Toyota has been focused on hydrogen as their #1 source. For them acceptance of the fuel for electrical generation has been difficult to achieve.

One would think a hydrogen generator would make on the water use great as we don’t have to store water.

alli SS has it right on the actual carbon footprint. The problem with any burgeoning green technology is that they fail to measure all of the delivery, production, disposal and more that total the true carbon footprint.

5. Member
    Call me old school, but there is nothing like the smell of an outboard in the morning. Can’t be replaced....

now integrate that smell with some hydrogen I can make from lake water, cheaply, and I would potentially listen.
    MoBob

2020 Z520c Ranger 250 Pro-XS Mercury
    2023 Ford Raptor
    O'Fallon, MO

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12