Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pro XS 250 Motor Play/Loose

Whats going on here guys.. I have a 2013 ProXS 250 that while on the tilt/trim style transom saver.. I can stand behind the motor and press down on the cavitation plate the motor will move a good 2 inches. Is this a symptom of bad/broken motor mounts? I noticed it really because as I was coming off plane yesterday and slowing down the motor began to "floop" is the best way I can put it. Then when trailering home it was bouncing a bit more than usual.

Here is a link to a small clip of what trying to describe above. Thanks for any help.

Serial # 1B975910

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Ji...PjBoZQbHW1tlr4
    Last edited by aallen03; 02-17-2020 at 11:42 AM.

2. Member
    Looks like broken upper mounts. Wow, the racing motors have solid mounts I believe.

3. Member
    Thanks thats what I was thinking.. going to have them replaced. Its a Pro XS just has the racing decals.

4. Member
    I broke mine about 3 years ago. I had JOE54 replace mine. We went with the racing exhaust plate which is where the mounts are. It's a lot stronger than the PRO xs plate.

5. Member
    yep they broke, that bullet needs xs plate anyway,decals look got too,please don't run it anymore until repaired
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    yep they broke, that bullet needs xs plate anyway,decals look got too,please don't run it anymore until repaired
    +1

As suggested, the solid-mount adapter plate can be used... there are a few other items that must be changed in the process (powerhead/adapter plate studs, and several other hardware pieces).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    Does anyone know if the Bobs solid mounts will work with the current plate?

https://bobsmachine.com/product/moto...rcury-3-liter/

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    No, because the current plate is broken (as is the clamp that secures above the plate).

It's not really the engine mounts that are broken... it's the front lip of the Adapter Plate, and the clamp plate. Happens with impacts, and sometimes with rough water operation.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

9. Member
    Ok so just for my understanding. I need a new adapter plate and possibly not new motor mounts themselves? Just trying to figure out what all is needed so that either I can repair or not get swindled by a local shop.

10. Member
    If you guys have a part number for the plate please send it my way. I can find the clamp but not the plate anywhere.

11. Member
    European marine!
    2013 Pantera 2
    200 Pro XS (2b009069)
    Ghost Trolling Motor

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    See Rhonda's post (pinned at the top of the Forum) for Parts and Accessories Assistance (or purchase).

13. Member
    Awesome! Thank you will send an email over now.

14. Member
    I'm going through the same issue on a 2008 Pro XS (1B734982), but my Pro XS has solid mounts in it already. Maybe this has been repaired once already under warranty? (I bought the boat in 2013) Couple of questions:

1. Since the motor had solid mounts already, did I order the correct exhaust plate, clamp, mounts and bolts by using the latest part numbers for my specific motor S/N? Did this motor come factory with solid mounts?

2. It's mentioned above that it would be better (stronger) to switch to an XS exhaust plate. It seems like the Pro XS solid mounts/adapter plate would be just as good as XS solid mounts/adapter plate, or is the plate and clamp on the XS setup beefier? If so, whats beefier about it?

3. If this issue had already occurred once (prior to me purchasing the boat) and they had switched to an XS plate to gain access to solid mounts, how would I know? Are there markings/part number on the plate that identify which part it is?

I thought I had figured out the best course of action, but the more I read, the confused-er I get. I was under the impression that some of the Pro XS motors had factory installed solid mounts and as long as you had solid mounts, that was as good as you could get. Trying to determine if I want to swap directions and order some different parts (e.g. XS exhaust plate, studs, etc).

15. Member
    would have used XS plte set up much stronger , mounts are cast in not bolted in with cheeeeeese clamp with very thin casting on plate and clamp, you know if it was XS plate dout it would have broken, ive seen two engines knocked off of the back of boat broke swivel bracket and exh housing not even a scratch on upper mounts and plate, I do not repair pxs with mount problems without using XS plate set ups ,take it somewhere else good luck JOE
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

16. Member
    Take it to Joe54!!

17. Member
    Thanks for the advice. I’m doing the work myself because it looked fairly easy to tackle. I want it done right, so I will start looking for XS setup. Guess I’ll try to sell the Pxs plate that’s on the way to someone who hasn’t read this post.

18. Member
    I agree with you on the thin casting. Pretty puny.

19. Member
    theyre no too bad, pull gearcase, loosen bottom mtr mounts way off , you be sure you look at DS seals and crank seals while its down its done a lot off flopping cant be good on either one

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    would have used XS plte set up much stronger , mounts are cast in not bolted in with cheeeeeese clamp with very thin casting on plate and clamp, you know if it was XS plate dout it would have broken, ive seen two engines knocked off of the back of boat broke swivel bracket and exh housing not even a scratch on upper mounts and plate, I do not repair pxs with mount problems without using XS plate set ups ,take it somewhere else good luck JOE
    The clamp bracket was designed for rubber mounts period. When Mercury put solid mounts in the clamp bracket there is nothing to give but the clamp and exhaust plate. When you take it apart bet the heads on the bolts have sheared off. This was cost saving for Mercury over the XS plate design but a big bill for the owner.
    04 521VX 250 Pro XS
    14 521C 250 Pro XS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast