Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Interestingly enough, no bolts were sheared. Just the front lips of the clamp and plate. Mounts were beat up a bit as well.

2. Member
    What XS motor s/n should I use for reference when ordering the plate and other parts? I would like to start working with Rhonda or someone on putting together a parts list.

3. Member
    Just tell her your S/N and you want to convert to XS plate. They will know what you need.
    2006 Ranger 521VX w/ Gorilla Hull
    2005 Mercury 250XS L 0T999348

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Slabslobberer View Post
    Just tell her your S/N and you want to convert to XS plate. They will know what you need.
    +1... she will get with me to make sure we get you the right items.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Awesome.....thanks Don. I’ll be reaching out to her tomorrow. Thanks for all the feedback guys. I feel a lot better about the direction I’m headed now.

6. Member
    Be sure to look at the lower splined swivel shaft and yoke before you put the powerhead back on. (once the new uppr is tight), With all that upper movement you could have an issue down there. Only a small amount of lateral play is acceptable with those splines. An SS replacement shaft and yoke from the big 'M' can set you back about 1,800! If you have an issue with this, PM me for my miraculous $9 fix, lol.

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Perhaps it would be a good idea to share your miraculous $9 fix here....

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Perhaps it would be a good idea to share your miraculous $9 fix here....
    I agree, Please share!

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    New ideas are awesome- Hoping it's something more durable than some spray paint....

10. Member
    Hey guys....got the XS plate in and when I went to bolt the swivel bracket to the upper mounts, I have approx 3/4” gap between the end of the swivel bracket and the mounts. Was I supposed to swap the PXS swivel bracket for an XS swivel bracket as part of the conversion? The driveshaft housing is hitting the swivel bracket assembly with the 3/4” gap.

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    No- the swivel bracket is the same. Something is not properly aligned- perhaps take a picture.

12. Member
    Don, as requested, I have uploaded a couple of videos to YouTube showing the exhaust plate, swivel pin assembly and driveshaft housing. In the first video, I am pushing on the back of the exhaust plate trying to get the swivel pin nubbins to mate up to the XS motor mounts. Then, based on your comment about the XS mounts being positioned differently than the PXS, I measure the placement of the XS and PXS mounts. They appear to be in the same location. In the second video, I ran one of the upper mount nuts up on the swivel pin bolt until the driveshaft housing was hitting the swivel bracket. There is still a significant gap between the pin nubbin and the mount. Links to the videos below.

13. Member
    need 2 spacers that go in front of upper mounts #840193
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

14. Member
    Yep two black spacers are missing. Bolt length is different also from the stock ProXS.

15. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    WOW... don't know how that got missed. Bap71469... I've asked Parts to get you 2 of them at no charge (please give them a call or drop them an email to make sure it's shipping to the right address for you).

Sorry about that!

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    Yep two black spacers are missing. Bolt length is different also from the stock ProXS.
    sho is
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

17. Member
    Thanks guys. That fixed the gap. I appreciate all the support on this project! I learned so much about the engine by doing it myself.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12