Minn Kota Ultrex gps puck

I was wondering if anyone has wired a on/off switch on power source to gps puck. I remember my Lowrance suggested to wire switch so gps puck would not drain battery when boat not in use. If yes does the pluck and trolling motor have to be re-paired when powered up?...Thanks

2. Member
    The parasitic drain is very minimal. However, I have a cutoff switch in battery compartment for both cranking battery and trolling motor batteries that isolates all electronics. Do not have to pair the sensor after turning power off/on.
    Wes
    Helix 10 MSI+,MDI+,Ultrex IPilot
    2023 Phoenix 818
    Never assume there's a tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by 520vx View Post
    I was wondering if anyone has wired a on/off switch on power source to gps puck. I remember my Lowrance suggested to wire switch so gps puck would not drain battery when boat not in use. If yes does the pluck and trolling motor have to be re-paired when powered up?...Thanks

There is no Minnkota GPS puck, the puck that comes with a Minnkota trolling motor is a Heading Sensor. GPS is the iPilot inside the top of the motor.

No you do not have to re-pair the Heading Sensor after the first time.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

I don't know if it's required, but I did put mine on an AUX switch at the bow. The far right switch.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

5. Member
    Just a dumb question. When I first got my ultrex i paired it with puck and did the circle calibration. For a while I thought that each time I turned on puck and tm i had to pair. I know now you dont. Do I need to calibrate again or is info still saved?

6. Member
    Not really necessary to recalibrate unless something changed due to maintenance or possibly added in the location. I periodically check it because I'm using it as a heading source (link model).
    Wes
    Helix 10 MSI+,MDI+,Ultrex IPilot
    2023 Phoenix 818
    Never assume there's a tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by louievito View Post
    Just a dumb question. When I first got my ultrex i paired it with puck and did the circle calibration. For a while I thought that each time I turned on puck and tm i had to pair. I know now you dont. Do I need to calibrate again or is info still saved?
    It should stay. The red light on the Heading Sensor should flash about every 30 sec. If it doesn't, then you would need to re-pair it.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

8. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    There is no Minnkota GPS puck, the puck that comes with a Minnkota trolling motor is a Heading Sensor. GPS is the iPilot inside the top of the motor.

No you do not have to re-pair the Heading Sensor after the first time.
    exactly everyone assumes its a "gps puck" because there used to the lowrance point one. The gps is built into the head of the motor. The ,"puck" is mearly a heading sensor.

9. Member
    Is the heading sensor required if it is paired with a Hummingbird Helix G3N?

Quote Originally Posted by IABryan View Post
    Is the heading sensor required if it is paired with a Hummingbird Helix G3N?
    The Minnkota Heading Sensor ONLY talks to the iPilot via Bluetooth. If you want your trolling motor to have all its functions, you need that installed, powered, paired, and calibrated.

If you have iPilot LINK, you can use the iPilot with its Heading Sensor for GPS/Heading on a Helix.
    You can also use iPilot LINK for marking and displaying waypoints on a 360 view.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL