Prop vents hurting top end?

Ok I was on the water yesterday and noticed my hole shot sucked on my boat as well as my top end. I think my prop is washing out because my prop vents. Only reason I’m thinking this because when I tried to take off of was like the motor wasn’t grabbing. I could slowly take off and the boat would get on pad but not run at its previous peak. I have sealed plugs ordered to see but wanted some input if it would effect top end as well.

Zero effect on top end. The pvs system is for holeshot only on plane it has no effect. What boat and motor setup are you running and what prop?
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

2018 198p with mer. 150 4stroke and a 23p tempest+. Think it may be a hub starting to spin?

4. Member
    It could be the hub...but it could be a lot of things. It is not caused by the vent plugs. Those things have been around a while and tested by everybody and his brother. I have played with them a lot myself. They just help the boat get on plane easier by venting some exhaust to the prop to make it easier to start spinning. When you get up to speed a little, the exhaust gas does not go thru them.

Your problem, as you describe it, could be a lot of things..... carb troubles, maybe an air leak into the fuel line, bad gas that has separated and you are running too high percent of ethanol, head gasket leaking water into the cylinder......and more things. I had a buddy with the problem you describe and the gas had way way way too much ethanol in it....

First thing I would do is have someone pump the bulb while you drive the boat.....Second thing I would do is get a can of good new gas and put your hose in it and try it.
    RT188
    I LIKE boats...BUT I LOVE PLANES
    Oh yeah.... I love the RT188 too.

Ok I put the motor in gear and turned the prop. When I get tension on it the center metal piece will turn about 1/4” both ways inside the plastic housing. This a sign of the hub going bad or it normal?

Not sure im getting your desription. Can you post a picture? Need more info still what rpms is your engine turning, jack plate or not and if so whats your prop to pad also whats your gps speed? Without that cant really say. If your spinning the hub it should easily be hitting off the limiter since the engine is going to spin up to wot. Your engine is rated for 5800 rpms
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigTuna25 View Post
    Ok I put the motor in gear and turned the prop. When I get tension on it the center metal piece will turn about 1/4” both ways inside the plastic housing. This a sign of the hub going bad or it normal?
    You should have no movement at all between the prop and the hub

Pull the prop and check the Delrin (plastic) sleeve. If over torqued they will break. The Tempest requires the front bushing too.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s