Question? Guide Placement Spiral or Straight on which is more efficient?

I normally place my guides straight from reel seat to tip but have found some builders place their guides in a spiral formation from reel seat to tip. Any comments ?

2. BBC SPONSOR
    We're big fans of spiral wrapping rods as there's no downside other than aesthetics as most anglers aren't used to the look. Now if this is for a bass rod, there isn't a huge benefit. To me it's more about bigger game fish as it helps prevent a casting rod from turning over in your hands.
    The Best Fishing Rods Start Here: www.BatsonEnterprises.com - www.youtube.com/batsonenterprises - Instagram: @teamrainshadow - Facebook: Batson Enterprises

3. Member
    Thank you for your fast response. I have seen this application but never heard what the application would be best for. See you all at the ICRBE in Winston-Salem, NC on the 22nd of February.

4. Member
    I build about 50% of mine using spiral. It makes a lot of sense and I feel better about warrantying the rod. Some people just can't get used to spiral and so they get eyes on top. For my own use, I prefer spiral although the seem to stay tangled up more when laying on the deck of the boat.

5. Member
    All of my personal rods are spiral, I haven't used a conventionally wrapped rod in probably 15 years. It seems like it's one of those things you either like or you don't. You can usually get away with one less running guide, casting distance is the same. I actually think they're easier to set up than guides on top.

Never saw the reasoning or the advantage. And I've yet to hear a FIRM explanation why spiral guide placement is "better".

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hair Jig View Post
    Never saw the reasoning or the advantage. And I've yet to hear a FIRM explanation why spiral guide placement is "better".
    -I can get away with one less running guide so it's lighter
    -The line running under the blank will not cause the blank to torque to one side or the other when under a load
    -The line will never touch the blank under a load
    -The line is always in contact with a guide which translates to better feel from the line to the blank

It's debatable as to how much affect these factors have in typical bass fishing. I've been bass fishing since I was 15, I've fished for my first 20 years with conventional guides on top baitcasting rods and the last 15 with spiral wrapped. I can build them any way I want so if I didn't think it was better I wouldn't build them that way. Sometimes a guide will get dinked in the rod locker (not if you use sleeves though) and sometimes you might step on one when it's on the deck. Other than that no real disadvantage that I've found.

Never heard a FIRM explanation as to why guides on top is better.

8. Member
    They also make a lot of sense for us up North, when trolling with planer boards and such it really helps with twisting that can occur

I can get away with one less running guide so it's lighter

Good point

-The line running under the blank will not cause the blank to torque to one side or the other when under a load

Not a problem for me bass fishing

-The line will never touch the blank under a load

Never saw that as a problem when bass fishing

-The line is always in contact with a guide which translates to better feel from the line to the blank

After using both configurations, I never felt any sensitivity variations from one to the other.

-It's debatable as to how much affect these factors have in typical bass fishing.

None that I can discern.

I too have used them both ways. Never saw any difference except that the spiral guides look funky. However, if it suits your tastes and works for you then by all means carry on. These types of differences are part of what building rods is all about.
    Last edited by Hair Jig; 02-19-2020 at 01:03 PM.

10. Member
    Over years of fishing, the less torque from a rod spiral wrapped will be better for your wrists, arms and shoulders. It is a better set up for those who already have the issues noted. It is not hard to show that even bass rods have a lot of torque on them. A piece of pvc and some ball bearing colletts will quickly show whats going on when the rod is only slightly loaded and it progress for the worst from there. Over time it is likely better for your body. Rod building isn't rocket science but there is some science behind building them.

11. Member
    I too have used them both ways. Never saw any difference except that the spiral guides look funky. However, if it suits your tastes and works for you then by all means carry on. These types of differences are part of what building rods is all about.[/QUOTE]

I didn't mean for my reply to come off snarky, apologies if it did.

Quote Originally Posted by willwork4fish View Post

I didn't mean for my reply to come off snarky, apologies if it did.
    Not at all. Just good discussion. I appreciate the differing opinions and techniques.

Quote Originally Posted by D.O.C. 989 View Post
    Over years of fishing, the less torque from a rod spiral wrapped will be better for your wrists, arms and shoulders. ... It is not hard to show that even bass rods have a lot of torque on them.
    Trust me ....... If millions of casts with "conventional" rod configurations haven't bothered me yet then I'm not going to have any problems.

14. Member
    Very interesting. I have never tried a spiral rod so maybe I don't know what I am missing. That being said, us OCD guys can't have spiral guides or else the earth is out of whack and I will become disoriented and lose my balance on the boat.

Now for the bigger questions... spiral left or spiral right? Can a left person also be a right person? Can a left person fish with a right person? Would there be a left tournament or right tournament? Or perhaps a left prize and a right prize? Too much thinking for one day.

15. Member
    Tried both ways, no noticeable difference on bass rods so I build them straight. My Offshore stuff for bottom fishing is all I spiral wrap. I wrap away from the crank to try and balance the torque. On a rod that lays on the deck "bass rod" wrap toward the handle so it will lay flat on the deck.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by willwork4fish View Post
    Couldn't this in theory translate to more friction on the line, with a potential effect on casting distance?
    2011 Tracker PT 175 TF
    2011 Merc 60 ELPT 4S

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by R2Tracker View Post
    Couldn't this in theory translate to more friction on the line, with a potential effect on casting distance?
    it doesn't

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by R2Tracker View Post
    Theoretically the line is not touching anything during the cast but then touches as the lure or bait is worked backed thus giving the signal from the guide to the rod. Not all theory works out in practice.