Advice: Upgrade or Buy New

I currently have a 2018 PII and love the boat but there are a few costly upgrades I would like to have and am considering. I am not sure what the smart move is, do I do the upgrades or order another PII the way I want it. I am about 1 year away from either staring the upgrades or buying new. Here is what I would like.

1. Dual console - my awesome wife has become my tournament partner. We get a lot of rain and bugs in Florida.
    2. Ultrex - I currently have a Fortex
    3. Hydraulic jackplate- the waters I fish here in Florida are super shallow. I had them on my previous boats and miss it.
    4. I sure would like a new 4 stroke ProXS.

I also considered a Caracal, Eyra or Cougar, but I love the hole shot and sports car feel of the PII. I also have a budget and a boat in the mid $60's is pushing it. A new PII with those options would be under 60k.

So team BassCat what do you think upgrade my current PII or order a new one with the options I listed, oh and with a 4" trailer.
    Brad Krone

Well, because you want the new four stroke then new. For the same reason you want the new four stroke stroke 2 stroke will be worth less than you'd like. The ultrex is not a big deal to put on your existing boat. I am not sure about the dual console. Hydraulic plate will cost for the install as well as the cost of the plate. I'd probably get a new one in your case though

3. Member
    Get what you want. I don’t think you can put in a dual removable console in a pII. BCB brochure shows only a dual console option for the pII. This may make your decision easier.
    2020 BassCat Cougar FTD SP
    2020 250 Pro SX
    #Denalirods #Powerpole
    #PowerhouseLithium
    #Powerpole Move

4. Member
    Go new - It's only money!

5. Member
    The key factor would be the engine if you really want the 4S. If you are considering trading (or selling) a 3 year old P2 for a new one in 2021, that means that you don't hold onto your boats long term (can't recall what year your Triton was before the Cat). In that case, if you were to repower your P2 with a new 4S next year, you likely would still get the itch for a complete new rig in a year or two after that, translating into a really bad investment on a repower.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by catdude28 View Post
    The key factor would be the engine if you really want the 4S. If you are considering trading (or selling) a 3 year old P2 for a new one in 2021, that means that you don't hold onto your boats long term (can't recall what year your Triton was before the Cat). In that case, if you were to repower your P2 with a new 4S next year, you likely would still get the itch for a complete new rig in a year or two after that, translating into a really bad investment on a repower.
    Good question. I owned my 2004 TR196 for 10 years. I then tried a Skeeter for almost 4, not a bad boat, but not fun to drive like a PII or my old TR196. I love my PII. Just weighing my options.
    Brad Krone

7. Bobby8
    If you can add a second console, I would do that. Sell your trolling motor for $500 and get the Ultrex. Get the jack plate and drive the big motor until it dies. Then with the money you save on a new purchase, get your awesome wife something nice. Of course I keep stuff forever, my last truck had 475k miles......

We would upgrade the one you have rather than a new one for a 2018 model year boat. That is, of course, unless you are considering a model change. Then you can only do what you want by trading up.

9. Member
    The only WANT that brings a new rig into the decision is the 4 stroke Merc. If its that important to have the V8 than I would do a new purchase, UNLESS you plan on keeping the rig for a long time. If your current rig is going to be with you for 10+ years, than sell the 2 stroke and buy a new 4 stroke.
    If your planning on replacing the boat in 3-5 years than buy new.

Everything else you can upgrade yourself.
    The Hyd JP you could have the dealer install if you don't have the means to lift the motor.
    Ultrex install yourself.
    I have installed a passenger console on my current PII and an Eyra I previously owned.
    The removable console is not an option on the PII.

Just my thoughts and experience.

Don
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

10. Scraps
    I'm seeing $6k in upgrades 1-3, then the 4S, might push you to at least $10k in labor and the cash from selling your 2S. Compare that to the delta in price between model years and the tax and value of your trade or owner sale profit. A lot of money but I bet you're further in the hole with the new boat. I'd fight the itch, I know I am right now doing the same math excluding the motor upgrade and I can't justify a new purchase.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD