Place to stay for the classic

Me and a buddy are going to the classic and got a hotel in Albertville (Microtel) mainly because the price was right and its a nice place fairly close to the lake. So I started looking and it's 1 hr and 15 minutes to the expo/weight in. Any ideas on a better location that won't be so far from the expo but also convenient to fish everyday and won't break the bank? I know this is probably impossible being that they are so at from each other but I figured I would ask. Also, has anyone stayed at this hotel and will my boat be ok there?

Thanks
    Last edited by brian1975; 02-17-2020 at 05:33 AM.

Brian Fontenot
    2018 Ranger Z521L-2019 Yamaha 250 SHO

2. Member
    I don't have any feedback on the hotel. But are you trying to stay closer to the Weigh In at Birmingham.Or Closer to Guntersville. You could stay in Attalla (Gadsden) area. Its right beside the interstate that carries you to Birmingham would put you closer to the weigh in but further from the lake.

3. Member
    If you trying to stay half way between, might also want to look at the Cullman area. It is located on Interstate 65 about an hour (50 Miles) from the Expo. Hwy 69 will take you to Guntersville and that is about a 40 mile (50 min) drive to City Harbor per Google Maps.
    2002 RANGER 520VX
    2006 Mercury PROXS 225

4. Alabama Bass Club Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by RangerJim View Post
    If you trying to stay half way between, might also want to look at the Cullman area. It is located on Interstate 65 about an hour (50 Miles) from the Expo. Hwy 69 will take you to Guntersville and that is about a 40 mile (50 min) drive to City Harbor per Google Maps.
    That would probably be my choice as well if I planned to see both on the same day. Unfortunately, a lot of people not from the area seem to think Guntersville is much closer to Birmingham than it really is. It's going to be at least a one hour drive to either location no matter how you look at it if you stay in Cullman but that's about as centrally located as it gets.

5. Member
    Thanks guys. I may just stay where we are. I just hope I won’t have any problems with my boat there.
    Last edited by brian1975; 02-19-2020 at 07:13 AM.

Brian Fontenot

6. Member
    If I understand you want to fish as well as attend the expo and weigh in. That about right? If so, I assume you’re not fishing on Guntersville during the Classic. In that case, I might recommend staying in Pell City. You can fish Logan Martin in the morning then hop on I-20 for a 40 minute drive to the BJCC.

Edit: You could also stay around Moody/Leeds and be convenient to Logan Martin. Lay Lake, Neely Henry, and the Warrior River are also relatively close. As is Smith Lake around Cullman.

I wouldn’t worry too much about your boat at the hotel you currently have booked but never hurts to cover it and remove the big ticket items.
    Last edited by ajw18; 02-19-2020 at 12:35 PM.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ajw18 View Post
    If I understand you want to fish as well as attend the expo and weigh in. That about right? If so, I assume you’re not fishing on Guntersville during the Classic. In that case, I might recommend staying in Pell City. You can fish Logan Martin in the morning then hop on I-20 for a 40 minute drive to the BJCC.

Edit: You could also stay around Moody/Leeds and be convenient to Logan Martin. Lay Lake, Neely Henry, and the Warrior River are also relatively close. As is Smith Lake around Cullman.

I wouldn’t worry too much about your boat at the hotel you currently have booked but never hurts to cover it and remove the big ticket items.
    Thanks for the input. We will be fishing Guntersville while we are there in between watching the elites fish. It will be covered and graphs removed with compartments locked for sure.

Brian Fontenot

Best bet would be stay where you are and leave boat when you head to the expo. It's gonna be 60-90 min to Bham. As Avery said, Gville isn't close to Bham, at least you can drop the boat off after you come off water and head south to Bham. Prob find you might want to spend one evening fishing G after masses exit to Expo.
    Kerry Copeland
    2015 Skeeter ZX250/250 SHO
    Decatur, Alabama

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry201pro View Post
    Best bet would be stay where you are and leave boat when you head to the expo. It's gonna be 60-90 min to Bham. As Avery said, Gville isn't close to Bham, at least you can drop the boat off after you come off water and head south to Bham. Prob find you might want to spend one evening fishing G after masses exit to Expo.
    Thanks. That’s what we will do.

Brian Fontenot

I've stayed there before and we had no problems. Boat parking is in a grass area beside the parking lot. Plenty of lighting. Couple of times I just hopped the curb and had the truck in a parking space and boat attached in grass. Plugs there to charge batteries.

If you like seafood, be sure to eat at Crawmammas or Top of the River.
    2018 G3 Sportsman 17
    2018 Yamaha F90
    Garmin Ultra 106sv bow/console
    Ionic lithium batteries

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tlefire View Post
    I've stayed there before and we had no problems. Boat parking is in a grass area beside the parking lot. Plenty of lighting. Couple of times I just hopped the curb and had the truck in a parking space and boat attached in grass. Plugs there to charge batteries.

If you like seafood, be sure to eat at Crawmammas or Top of the River.
    Thanks a lot.

Brian Fontenot

12. Member
    What about the parking for the expo? Will there be plenty or have to walk along way?

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by light wire View Post
    What about the parking for the expo? Will there be plenty or have to walk along way?
    Good question. I wonder that as well.

Brian Fontenot

There is a parking deck behind the civic center. 10 dollars to park I think. About a 5 minute walk thru the civic center courtyard to get to the expo.
    2018 G3 Sportsman 17
    2018 Yamaha F90
    Garmin Ultra 106sv bow/console
    Ionic lithium batteries

15. Member
    You could stay in Gardendale. It’s a little over an hour to guntersville and 15 minutes to bjcc.
    i don’t think there’s any place to stay in warrior but that would evenly in the middle.
    Joey Aderhold

16. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Nothing in Warrior, Gardendale is the best bet if you want to be close to the expo. Most all of the chains are there but it is close to the 1.5 hour mark to get to the Big G. Gardendale is north of the BJCC.

17. Member
    we are staying about 3 miles from expo. not going to try and find parking, calling a cab, drop off at front door, picked up at front door.
    SAL 544
    13.11 lbs
    Lake Fork TX
    2/19/13

18. Member
    Better plan on bringing lures for muddy water too. We had lots of rain lately including this week!