Best source for quality fuel line, primer bulb...

I'm replacing the entire fuel line from the tank to the primer bulb, the bulb, and the silver section from the primer to the black hose just OUTSIDE the motor cowl inlet as per Don's advice to someone else, and wouldn't you know it, the hoses were soft and deteriorating inside.

I've had bad luck finding primer bulbs at the local BPS, and other outdoor stores, that aren't hard as a rock. Some are Quicksilver, some are attwood or BPS brand, pull em off the peg board, squeeze em and they all feel hard as a rock. Feel like they're gonna last about one trip and they'll crumble. They're NOT cheap either. What, does everyone have ancient inventory in stock? Thought it'd be easy to find local as EVERY outboard needs new ones regularly. I have read and re-read the stickies at the top. Replacing the filter and pulse pump, hose all the way to the pump too. Thanks Don.

Also looking for the 3/8" super fat HD (I think it's Shield's brand) fuel line, about 7 feet, from the tank to the primer. Car parts stores only had thin bulk 3/8 fuel hose. It goes through a bulkhead and I can clearly see where chafing has cut the outer hose but didn't get through the woven inner, so I'm dang sure I need good stuff AND should probably add some protective layer, extra bigger hose or ? to keep that from happening again.

Can anyone recommend a source, hopefully not too far from the left coast, where I can get this stuff? I know the hose from the primer to the motor should be the silver mercury hose w/blue lettering, right? I've got the silver hose with reddish lettering and I know that's bad stuff, pulled it off and the lining was falling apart. Is there a better hose than that mercury hoses? Why are we still using primer bulbs that haven't changed in 40 years? There's an item someone should redesign, make it out of hard parts so it lasts 10 years not 10 months. Such a critical little part that can ruin your day...
    Last edited by Fishfreq; 02-17-2020 at 01:06 AM.
    Fish frequently, my friends! ----------<')))><
    2001 Triton TR20, 225L OptiMax, 26" Tempest Plus, Serial No: PT345686

2. Member
    A source? How about European Marine, will need to tell them how many feet you need of each type fuel line - If you want to order or price Mercury Engine Parts or Accessories...
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox579 View Post
    A source? How about European Marine, will need to tell them how many feet you need of each type fuel line - If you want to order or price Mercury Engine Parts or Accessories...
    I've done that, I'm sure they'll get back to me soon.... Hoping to hear from anyone that knows common name of that massive 3/8" fuel line is, almost an inch in OD?

The primer bulb is out in the splash well, and the sun right now, I'm thinkin' I'll get longer 5/16" line and shorter 3/8" line and put the bulb inside the battery compartment. I'll also home run the 5/16" back to the pulse pump to get rid of that double-barb rigging splice, any problems with that?

albert get the napa hose
    NBH H355A, It is compliant and is a extremely good hose to run from the tank, Get the gray from C&C or European Marine, use a mercury bulb mtd in the bilge pointed within a 45 degree angle pounted upwards and avoid low hanging bends in the hose. This help avoid vapor bubbles in the lines (vapor locking) It is almost 6 bucks a foot
    Thank You Leon Pugh

5. Member
    Yea thanks Leon. Got a good quote from Don and Rhonda, free shipping, no tax. Wish I could hold it in my hand thought you know? Stock hose was SO thick; that was the only thing that kept the fiberglass from rubbing through it. Checked with Napa, their 3/8 hose was way smaller.

I think I'm going to do one of those one-piece flex tubes to run all the control cables and hoses thru from the splash well to the motor? My little zip-tie rubber splash well boot has seen better days. But the hydraulic steering hoses then would need their own hole or thru-fittings and extensions to run them thru the fiberglass. Steering needs hydro seals replaced anyways. Lol, project creep $$... ;) !

The set up I like the best is where fittings are mounted in the splaswell using two short small diameter hose to the ram and the hose connect to that fitting inside the bilge. Makes for a very clean instalation and no sealing boots required
    Thank You Leon Pugh

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishfreq View Post
    Yea thanks Leon. Got a good quote from Don and Rhonda, free shipping, no tax. Wish I could hold it in my hand thought you know? Stock hose was SO thick; that was the only thing that kept the fiberglass from rubbing through it. Checked with Napa, their 3/8 hose was way smaller.

I think I'm going to do one of those one-piece flex tubes to run all the control cables and hoses thru from the splash well to the motor? My little zip-tie rubber splash well boot has seen better days. But the hydraulic steering hoses then would need their own hole or thru-fittings and extensions to run them thru the fiberglass. Steering needs hydro seals replaced anyways. Lol, project creep $$... ;) !
    If you are worried about fuel hose rubbing against the fiberglass, you can sleeve it for protection where needed.
    The one piece in the splash well is very nice, but if I were to replace mine, I would go with this canvas type sleeve we used to use on my Komatsu 300 excavator that had a hook and loop closure, so you wouldn't need to go with a lot BS if you had to replace or work with 1 hose in the bunch.

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    That hose that was in your boat was way thicker than the newer, EPA and USCG Approved lines.

That being said- DO NOT USE AUTOMOTIVE FUEL LINES IN YOUR BOAT. Lines need to meet specific USCG and EPA requirements, depending on the location the line is used, and the length of the line.

A1-15 is a rating for BELOW DECK use. This rating relates to a specification of how much fuel can spill from the line if it is cut open, and how resistant it is to being cut open.

The older stuff you had utilized "bulk" of the line to meet the requirement, rather than quality plies and liners. You'll appreciate the greater flexibility while still meeting the A1-15 requirements.

B1-15 is used primarily above deck (short run to exit from below deck is fine).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor