NFC Rods question

When they list butt as .52 what does that mean? Inches? And the tip is 4.4..mm? Thank you. Ordered two rods that say 804 on the bottom. Should be medium light and they don’t seem to be ML.

2. Goby King
    Butt diameter is in inches. Tip size is in 64ths. So what you posted is 0.52" and 4.4/64

3. Member
    So my rod is .61” so obviously it’s wrong correct?

4. Member
    They say to allow for some variance. There was another member that ordered some and the measurements didn't meet the specs on the website.

5. Member
    I understand but this thing is the size of a heavy flipping stick. The bad part is I ordered everything to fit that blank so if it’s the wrong one I’m screwed.

6. Member
    What is the model of the blank you ordered? the size difference between .52 and .61 is small enough that if you are angle the calipers it can be off that much. Probably the thickness of a quarter.

7. Member
    It’s an x-ray 733-1

8. Member
    Almost a tenth of an inch seems pretty large on a blank

I'm the one that had the variation in measurements that was mentioned. I e-mailed NFC and was told:"
    You received the correct blank. The reason the tip and butt measure bigger is we are trying to do less sanding to minimize weakness. If you need it smaller, you can hand sand a little off, but the less you do the better for the blank. We would let you know if we switched out your IM with a different material.
    Please let me know if I can help with anything else."

10. Goby King
    That's a big difference. For grips, that's no big deal. For reel seats and tips, that's HUGE. For tips, I always order the spec'd size, 1 size bigger and 1 size smaller. That can get pricey with titanium, so I wait til I have the blank to order that.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bhjr. View Post
    I'm the one that had the variation in measurements that was mentioned. I e-mailed NFC and was told:"
    You received the correct blank. The reason the tip and butt measure bigger is we are trying to do less sanding to minimize weakness. If you need it smaller, you can hand sand a little off, but the less you do the better for the blank. We would let you know if we switched out your IM with a different material.
    Wouldn’t this increase in thickness change the action of the rod though?

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeeter_ View Post
    Wouldn’t this increase in thickness change the action of the rod though?
    Action is subjective. Every blank manufacturer has their own opinion on action.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bhjr. View Post
    What blank were you questioning? X-ray blanks aren't sand so that shouldn't be the case here.

14. Member
    Anyone have a good contact email? I emailed the info one and haven’t heard anything yet

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Riccochet View Post
    Action is subjective. Every blank manufacturer has their own opinion on action.
    Understood but if they list a blank at .52 and change it to a .61 without noting it online, I’m guessing that additional thickness would change the original action.

16. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeeter_ View Post
    Understood but if they list a blank at .52 and change it to a .61 without noting it online, I’m guessing that additional thickness would change the original action.
    You'd need to put them both on a deflection chart to really see.

17. Member
    Read up on the common cents system and action will no longer be subjective for you. If you network with other builders and keep a list and build a lot of rods you will eventually be able to take the guesswork out. It is the same for power.

Quote Originally Posted by Never satisfied View Post
    What blank were you questioning? X-ray blanks aren't sand so that shouldn't be the case here.
    CB 704-1 (IM). They were closer dimensionally to the CB 704-1 (SM). Had to reorder tip-tops for the blanks since their specifications were all wrong for these blanks. I've got the first one built, just need to apply finish to the wraps. This has really been an experience, ordered my reel seats and got one that was correct and the second one wasn't. Oh well, I thought, I'll surely use it some time. So I ordered another from the same company. Double checked to make sure I was ordering correctly and placed the order. I'll be darned, if they didn't send the wrong reel seat again! I called the company and got it straight and they are sending me two that are correct this time!