Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Trolling motor strap

How important is it to have the Velcro strap? Installed my ultrex and forgot to put it on. I had a fortrex that never had it with no issues so wasn't sure if it's ok without it.

2. Bob G's pool boy
    The bounce buster prevents movement in one direction. The strap prevents it in the other. If you are going to be in rough water at all, take the time and put it on and use it.

"I am going to Eufala to just idle around"
    -Haus

***NEW*** 2023 Ford F150 XLT Super Crew 2.7L Ecoboost FX4 cause I am such a baller.
    2021 Phoenix 721/ Mercury 250 ProXS 4s with a bent ass trailer
    HDS16 live- Solix15 : Console
    HDS16 live W/AT - Garmin 126 W/ lvs34 - Solix12/ 360 : Bow
    Dual 10' Blades/ Lowrance Ghost/ Bobs Hydraulic Plate
    225ah cranking / 100ah trolling. Ionic/Relion lithium

Instagram @brettcarnright. Teamviewer: bCarnrite@33

3. Member
    I forgot to put mine on as well! 3 years ago with no issues. My boats top speed is 8 mph lol

never had one, but my motor is 20 years old and locks in. But I guess it wouldnt hurt anything

5. Member
    Not only rough water but rough roads!

I have heard of a couple of Ultrex mounts/bases cracking but it was due to not using a bounce buster. I think it would depend on how much you fish and how often you are in rough water. Not using the strap, I feel like you are opening up yourself and your boat to possible damage. I guess you could kind of relate that strap as "A seatbelt for your trolling motor". 5keepers mentions another good point...bad roads and towing.

Put the strap on! only takes a few minutes and then you can stop thinking about it.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

8. Banned
    I would take the time and put it on. It came with the motor for a reason.

9. Banned
    The BEST strap to use, and you can custom cup it to length is either a grip strap that has teeth on the spring loaded finger mechanism or a lowes or home depot ratchet strap. I personally use the ratchet strap when I am going across rough water because the impacts will cause the Velcro strap to release. Hope it helps

10. Member
    If you're only fishing San Diego area lakes, you could get by without it.
    My last boat never had a strap and I had it 8 years without a problem.

11. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    I have an Ulterra with the 60" shaft...and I also forgot the strap.....I also don't have a bounce buster.....going on 4 years and no problems....fished Chick and Guntersville on some rough days and still purring along....

I fish on the Potomac River and when it gets nasty, my trolling motor would bounce up and down with a strap and bounce buster. I bit the bullet and installed this and now it's rock solid when the water is rough.

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/T-H_...e-TRLOKML.html
    2010 BassCat Puma FTD
    2010 Mercury 250 Pro XS

13. Member
    That Velcro strap is not important at all until that one time you need it!
    It is no different than any other safety device, most people dont care about them until the one time they need them and then they sing their praises.

Jeff Clark
    Bassman469

14. Member
    I am a firm believer in the velcro strap. I actually picked up a couple at a Ross's store for a great price. Different lengths were $3.99 and $4.99, what a deal!!

15. Member
    Not using it cost me several hundred dollars. Forgot to strap down before a run in rough water, motor bounced and broke the ball bearing.
    Brandon
    1996 Ranger 362XT
    Johnson Faststrike 150

haven't ever used mine. put the Garmin Force in my boat and didn't put it on either

I would say if you fish the great lakes is it is between very important and extremely important.

18. Member
    I use it and also thinking about getting a bounce buster too. the strap helps keep the motor from bouncing in rough water and roads. I’ve seen a few that didn’t latch down properly come loose during a run and get ripped off on Lake Ontario and Oneida
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

I only use a strap (HB Velcro strap) when I’m taking a long road trip. The Bounce Buster on my MG does an adequate job when I’m the water.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

20. Banned
    If You're not going to use the provided safety strap be cautious of any waves, spear the wrong one and it is descompuesto/curtains/kaput

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast