Talons or I-pilot w/spot lock

Picking up a Z20 in a week or so here and it has a Fortrex and no Talons or power poles. I can only add 1 at a time throughout the next year or so. Looking for honest opinions from guys that have used both, what would you put on first? I-pilot or talons? Just a side note, I will most likely only be able 1 talon at a time.

Thanks for any feedback.

Ultrex all the way to start! No doubt about it for me... But if you are "strictly" a shalow water angler then the talon(s) may take the top spot...
    Layton Strong
    Nitro State Team

3. Member
    I would definitely go with the Ultrex. It has additional features over the talons/powerpoles that will make fishing a lot easier. I would maybe wait until after ICAST though before I would buy....LOL As soon as I buy something, they always come out with something better shortly afterwards...LOL
    Wes
    Helix 10 MSI+,MDI+,Ultrex IPilot
    2023 Phoenix 818
    Never assume there's a tomorrow

4. Member
    Being you’re in KY like myself, I’m assuming we fish some of the same lakes. Ultrex would be the first thing I’d put on it. If money is unlimited, I’d consider talons eventually but around here, all they are is extra weight. Don’t get used like they do down south. Ultrex gets used every trip for one reason or another. And once you have spot lock, you’ll never go back. Just my .02
    2017 Nitro Z20 w/ Mercury 250 Pro XS
    MK Ultrex 112# Mega DI/ Mega 360
    Console: Helix 10 MDI G3N-Helix 10 MSI G3N
    Bow: Helix 10 MDI G3N-Helix 10 MDI G4N

5. Member
    Ultrex Definately

Quote Originally Posted by speed10 View Post
    Ultrex Definately
    X2 ^^^^^^
    Veteran 82nd Airborne Division " ALL THE WAY "

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by B.Combs View Post
    Being you’re in KY like myself, I’m assuming we fish some of the same lakes. Ultrex would be the first thing I’d put on it. If money is unlimited, I’d consider talons eventually but around here, all they are is extra weight. Don’t get used like they do down south. Ultrex gets used every trip for one reason or another. And once you have spot lock, you’ll never go back. Just my .02
    I've only ever fished in Wisconsin and Minnesota.... Moved here a year and a half ago. Finally getting a boat again since the move. I'll be fishing mostly Barren River, Nolin, Cumberland and Dale Hollow.... Probably why I'm questioning what route to go for anchors even more. Not sure what to expect from the lakes and fishing here.

Definitely leaning toward the Ultrex now though.

8. Dogfish_Jones
    Go with the Ultrex, the cost factor will be less after you add in all the gear and mounts to put the talons on. The key question is if you are planning on doing most of your fishing in shallow water. If not the talons are nothing more than weight added to your boat.
    Me... I am hardly ever in shallow enough water to even use them and when i am in that shallow of water I am using my trolling motor to move around down the bank, a dock or any other object. I rarely will settle down long enough to put power pole or talons down and sit there.
    Then you have the factor of only using 1 talon, you will still have the circle effect as you would with a Spot lock TM. You really need two to anchor your boat in the same direction as you started with.
    So, if you fish in 8' or less of water and want to stay in one place for awhile, go with the talon
    If you fish deeper than your pole can stink into the bottom, you have nothing but a weighted object on the back of your boat.

9. Member
    I guess that brings me to my next question, is spending the extra $500 for the I-pilot with link compared to just the
    ipilot without worth it to a non tournament guy..... never used one yet, so I'm not completely aware of all the extra benefits..

10. Dogfish_Jones
    Depends on how much you are away from your foot control? The handheld does come in handy if you are behind your wheel or the back of the boat. I did not use my handheld all that often. It was clipped on my belt but I was at the bow most of the time.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Willie 2.0 View Post
    I guess that brings me to my next question, is spending the extra $500 for the I-pilot with link compared to just the
    ipilot without worth it to a non tournament guy..... never used one yet, so I'm not completely aware of all the extra benefits..
    If you are already using a current Humminbird (HB) network, then Link could be worth it. The HBs, when linked with it, allow additional memory for Itracks and spotlocks and control of the TM from the graph and Follow the Contour mode. If not already using an ethernet capable HB, then probably not worth it unless concerned with resale value.
    Wes
    Helix 10 MSI+,MDI+,Ultrex IPilot
    2023 Phoenix 818
    Never assume there's a tomorrow

12. Member
    I think I'll just spend the extra now if that's the case. This boat is already set-up with a couple HB Helix graphs, and I plan on Talons by the end of the year. Might as well finish outfitting with everything paired.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Willie 2.0 View Post
    I've only ever fished in Wisconsin and Minnesota.... Moved here a year and a half ago. Finally getting a boat again since the move. I'll be fishing mostly Barren River, Nolin, Cumberland and Dale Hollow.... Probably why I'm questioning what route to go for anchors even more. Not sure what to expect from the lakes and fishing here.

Definitely leaning toward the Ultrex now though.
    I fish all those lakes. Ultrex, and it’s not even close. Save your money on the talons. Extra weight for those lakes. Unless they have a 20ft version. Lol
    2017 Nitro Z20 w/ Mercury 250 Pro XS
    MK Ultrex 112# Mega DI/ Mega 360
    Console: Helix 10 MDI G3N-Helix 10 MSI G3N
    Bow: Helix 10 MDI G3N-Helix 10 MDI G4N

14. Member
    You won’t be disappointed if you put the link on. There are many more options with link over straight ipilot.

15. Member
    Thanks for all the input! Ultrex IPilot Link it is.......

Anybody in need of a 1 year old Fortex 112?
    Last edited by Willie 2.0; 02-18-2020 at 12:06 PM.

16. Member
    I always tell folks that if I could only have one add on put on a boat it would be my Ultrex. Life is so much easier on the lake with spot-lock, probably the most pushed button on my trolling motor.
    2012 Nitro Z8/Mercury Pro XS 250hp
    Humminbird Electronics
    MinnKota Talons and Ultrex

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by armylevis View Post
    I always tell folks that if I could only have one add on put on a boat it would be my Ultrex. Life is so much easier on the lake with spot-lock, probably the most pushed button on my trolling motor.
    I can attest to that!