Thread: what a pilot!!!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Member
    I saw a link were the airline's training dept. was not impressed with the landing, giving it a 1.

“This official view from the Training Department is a simple one – THIS IS NOT WHAT WE WANT TO SEE. There is a time to give an approach away in the interest of safety”
    War Eagle Blackhawk 2170 - Suzuki 150, MG Xi5
    Lowrance HDS 7" & 9" - Twin Talon 12' Anchors

2. HYDRA SPORT LS205 225HO JER-1 BIG BASS's Avatar
    Looked like to me he did fine,his only problem was he used to much runway before getting it on the ground.
    And missed the turn off, but he値l i only have one eye, what it looked like.
    Have a FAA pilot license also.

3. Member
    I have never flown or landed a plane. Got to give him kudos for putting it down. Awesome video.

4. Banned
    I always heard. Any landing you can walk away from was a good one.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mxmike View Post
    I always heard. Any landing you can walk away from was a good one.
    Or as been previously noted in post #17 quoted below.
    A good landing is any you can walk away from. A great landing is one you not only walk away from but, the aircraft is still useable.

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gehol View Post
    Or as been previously noted in post #17 quoted below.
    A good landing is any you can walk away from. A great landing is one you not only walk away from but, the aircraft is still useable.
    Well you can say that again.

I consider it a good day if we brought all the big pieces and the feds aren’t waiting.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fr8dog View Post
    I consider it a good day if we brought all the big pieces and the feds aren’t waiting.
    Haven't heard that one before but well put. LOL

Different subject, but you guys should see what we do to airplanes in experimental flight test! It's a lot of fun, but it's tough on crews and airplanes. Minimum un-stick tests, Max KE tests, Steady Heading Side Slips, Stalls far past shaker and pusher, Water Ingestion, Climatic Chambers, Cold weather testing, blah blah blah. It's a blast, but we DO tear some things up!!

Max KE (Kinetic Energy) testing is pretty cool...get the airplane up to about 30-40 knots PAST rotation speed (on the ground, mind you) then slam on the brakes until she comes to a stop. No Thrust Reversers, no steering, no nothing. If the tires blow, they blow (they often do). If the gear catches fire, we have to let it burn for 3 minutes before we can extinguish it. The brakes will be glowing WHITE hot when the airplane comes to a stop. Several MILLION pounds worth of kinetic energy coming to a halt as fast as you can slow her down!

I would love to do that. I’ve taken the 737 and DC8 out on post depot mx checks and it’s a good time. We broke all kinds of stuff. The guys in Miami messed up something on the 8 anti-skid and we blew all 4 tires on the left truck landing on 9L at Miami. ATC was less than happy. I can’t imagine what that extreme testing must be like.

It's a blast for sure. We were doing some testing in Roswell (Great place to test...lots of runway and not much traffic) and Boeing brought in a 767-300 (leased back from Delta) and landed it with the Emer Brake set. It was on purpose of course, but they blew 6 of the mains and pretty much destroyed the flaps from tire debris. Took them 9 hours to get it off the runway.

We were down there once doing Vmu on a Dash-8 400. At 38% x 2 engines, we set the tail on the runway so hard we ripped the bumper off and flattened the empennage across about a 3 foot wide section. Spent the next 8 weeks fixing the airplane on the ramp...

We took an 8 there to park for good. Gave the tower guys a good show. Amazing what a big airplane can do with a little (lot) of speed.

Makes me sad watching the guillotine down there though. Take a great old machine and turn it into soda cans a paper clips in just minutes...

14. Member
    Very impressive!

The other video from the same storm at the airport in Amsterdam is impressive as well.

The A300 Airbus planes look like a Gulf Stream compared to the big A380 Airbus and 747!
    2016 Ranger RT188 Charcoal Metallic Dual Console
    2017 Yamaha 115 VMAX SHO SS Prop
    Lowrance Elite 7Ti in console
    Humminbird Helix 10 SI on BBT Bow Mount

Humminbird Helix 10 SI on a BalZout @ Console
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80 - 24V i-Pilot Link
    Transducer Shield Mount
    Custom step in place of center seat
    Trick Step

The 8 was a good machine. I got a little over 10K hours in her. Not a damned thing wrong with the airframe, just ran out of parts. My last run in it was a 62 combi rescue mission. We got called to pick up cargo and pax from a broken 757 overseas. Parked the last US DC 8 pax flight on a Sat and went right into 767 school on Monday. Easier to fly, but it was sad to see the old gal go.

I bet! I feel that way about some airframes too. I have some time in a Cessna 190 (you're into a lot larger iron than I'm used to) and have a lot of love for that airplane. Have had some good times in a 421C as well. Love that airplane.

Meh. I have a few beers in me and start going back to fun times. Bribing our way out of Mali and Chad. Leaving Cameroon without clearance before the gov’t folks showed up. Fixing fuel leaks with chewed up toothpicks in South America. That was non-sked, ad-hoc pirate flying.

Now we had to straighten up and fly right. Yeah, I get it. Safety and rules and all that. Bu it sure was a whole lot more fun when we made it up along the way.

I remember coming back from an Africa trip. The new gal in finance wanted us to provide receipts for the money we had pass out for services. (We carried a few $ in company money to expedite things).

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by C130 View Post

If passengers only knew half of what really happens, I can’t even believe what happens a lot of the time. Unfortunately the pilots being hired today aren’t what they used to be, neither are the standards. Can’t fire anyone, everyone gets a job. It’s out of control.
    This is fact in the current aviation industry. Especially in non-modern countries. Its down right scary.
    Regional's are not much better.

Back when I started in the Aviation industry (1988), you either had it or you didn't. If you didn't, you were gone. This isn't an industry where failure is acceptable. The growth in technology has only made this worse. When the video game quits working and actual flying is required, many do not meet the standard.

Correct way to do it. First aircraft in the video.
    Last edited by Cajunhunter67; 02-19-2020 at 08:40 AM.
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

19. Member
    I have been on a couple of flights with cross wind landings like that, the most memorable was in Cleveland. It's odd being a passenger looking out your window and down the runway as you come in sideways! I remember the approach as we flew over Lake Erie - it looked like we were flying over the Bermuda Triangle. I've also had some interesting landings in St. Johns, Newfoundland - the weather there always seems bad when I fly in - wind, rain, fog, snow - sometimes all at the same time. I recently had an aborted landing coming into Pittsburgh - seemed like we were ready to touch down when the pilot pulled up and banked the plane sharply. A few minutes later they said there was something on the runway, never did say what it was.
    2009 Tracker Pro 170 TX - Mercury 40 HP EFI

20. Bob G's pool boy
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomasj View Post
    I have been on a couple of flights with cross wind landings like that, the most memorable was in Cleveland. It's odd being a passenger looking out your window and down the runway as you come in sideways! I remember the approach as we flew over Lake Erie - it looked like we were flying over the Bermuda Triangle. I've also had some interesting landings in St. Johns, Newfoundland - the weather there always seems bad when I fly in - wind, rain, fog, snow - sometimes all at the same time. I recently had an aborted landing coming into Pittsburgh - seemed like we were ready to touch down when the pilot pulled up and banked the plane sharply. A few minutes later they said there was something on the runway, never did say what it was.
    Most likely the previous arrival was goofing off on the runway. Pilots like to high five each other and flirt with the flight attendants instead of getting off the runway in a timely manner. Most likely it was a Southwest flight. They are the worst.
    Last edited by billspence; 02-19-2020 at 08:38 AM. Reason: They get away with that crap in TUL cause the next arrival is 35 in trail.

"I am going to Eufala to just idle around"
    -Haus

***NEW*** 2023 Ford F150 XLT Super Crew 2.7L Ecoboost FX4 cause I am such a baller.
    2021 Phoenix 721/ Mercury 250 ProXS 4s with a bent ass trailer
    HDS16 live- Solix15 : Console
    HDS16 live W/AT - Garmin 126 W/ lvs34 - Solix12/ 360 : Bow
    Dual 10' Blades/ Lowrance Ghost/ Bobs Hydraulic Plate
    225ah cranking / 100ah trolling. Ionic/Relion lithium

Instagram @brettcarnright. Teamviewer: bCarnrite@33

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast