Thread: what a pilot!!!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Once you get the bitch on the ground you have to keep it on the pavement. If the wheels are going the wrong way you gotta have enough rudder nose steering, and brakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Lund1625 View Post
    The pilot obviously had a huge quartering headwind. He did everything perfect except for not hitting the rudder to square up while when he was 6" from touchdown. Nice criticism from guys who can't hit the trailer with a slight crosswind.

3. Banned
    Hold my beer!!

4. Member
    Use to watch the KC-10's at Grissom come in like that all the time. Only saw a couple of them open her up to bring it around one more time. Every day thing for those pilots.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rboren View Post
    Yep, I have to agree! Spooky looking though.
    So far mine have all been great, LOL.

Y'all must have made it home OK.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lund1625 View Post
    The pilot obviously had a huge quartering headwind. He did everything perfect except for not hitting the rudder to square up while when he was 6" from touchdown. Nice criticism from guys who can't hit the trailer with a slight crosswind.
    Yup...I was like rudder dude.. rudder!

Nice work by the pilot none the less...its easy to armchair it if ya have never been there. People would never fly again if they knew what happens on a regular basis, hence why those folk spend a pile of time training and in sims
    2020 Skeeter ZX150

Quote Originally Posted by m.t.hands View Post
    once again out of ignorance, is that usually an option/practical???? and it seems most of the video's i have watched feature the 380 airbus, is that just coincidence or because of my limited search ability
    Every transport category aircraft has a max crosswind limiit, if weather forecasts indicate you might likely see strong crosswinds that could exceed that limit, your going to have a wind alternate...somewhere it’s either not blowing as hard, or it’s lined up more to the runway centerline...Bottom line as a pilot carrying passengers, you can try anything within reason, BUT if you bend any metal or injure someone, you better have a damn good reason why you thought it was a good idea. That A380 demonstrated a 56 knot crosswind during certificattion, so it’s very capable. I highly doubt it’s operational limit is that high.

The certification requirement is around 23 kts, the A380 during certification did 56 kts. RW 36, and that wind, it's 38 kts crosswind. Most aircraft have a maxdemonstrated, rather than a hard limit.Oct 22, 2014

8. Member
    Those big’ol barges ain’t so slow and have a lot of chime walk, you just gotta steer through it and it’s not hard if you know how to drive’em right.
    Lanierspotman
    2023 Skeeter 21ZXR 2023 250 SHO
    Lake Lanier, GA

9. Member
    He was crabbing. Pretty standard on getting the bird down in a cross wind.
    There is another video of a 747 doing it. However in that video the pilot straightened the aircraft prior to touchdown.

Pilot did a great job keeping that monster A380 lined up in the crosswind. He however did not put her down very pretty. That sucker has some strong landing gear.
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

10. Member
    Three types of carrier landings:
    1. Hard
    2. Very hard
    3. The struts came through the wings

11. Member
    More like a controlled crash, LOL.

Used to watch our B-52s crab all the time. Just another day on the job for those guys... I would expect no different for an A380, I'm sure it has crabbing capability...
    Scott

2022 Phoenix 21 PHX
    Solix & Helix w/ Mega Live
    MinnKota Ultrexx 36v 112
    Power Poles

Pilot is a badass!
    2017 Ranger Z520c "Blackout Edition"
    2017 Mercury Optimax ProXS 250
    HB Solix 12 G3 MSI+, Solix 12 G2 MSI+, Solix G2 MDI+, Solix 12 2d/gps, Ultrex Mega360, Mega Live
    NRA Life Member
    -Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour-

Quote Originally Posted by dean c View Post
    Every transport category aircraft has a max crosswind limiit, if weather forecasts indicate you might likely see strong crosswinds that could exceed that limit, your going to have a wind alternate...somewhere it’s either not blowing as hard, or it’s lined up more to the runway centerline...Bottom line as a pilot carrying passengers, you can try anything within reason, BUT if you bend any metal or injure someone, you better have a damn good reason why you thought it was a good idea. That A380 demonstrated a 56 knot crosswind during certificattion, so it’s very capable. I highly doubt it’s operational limit is that high.

The certification requirement is around 23 kts, the A380 during certification did 56 kts. RW 36, and that wind, it's 38 kts crosswind. Most aircraft have a maxdemonstrated, rather than a hard limit.Oct 22, 2014
    Good stuff Dean
    "When My Ship Comes In, I will Probably Be At The Airport"
    USAF Retired

Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    Three types of carrier landings:
    1. Hard
    2. Very hard
    3. The struts came through the wings
    Just curious billnorman1, were you a fighter pilot on carriers ?...if so, very impressive.

16. Member

17. Member
    I just about shat myself watching that...I can't imagine being on that flight. Good job, Captain!

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EarlK View Post
    Just curious billnorman1, were you a fighter pilot on carriers ?...if so, very impressive.
    No I never flew an aircraft just worked on them. Started with BUFF's ended with Republic F-105's, the THUD.
    It was rumored if you build a runway around the world, Republic would build an aircraft that needed every inch of it.

A member of the Takhli Instant Swimming Hole Company, 1966-67.
    Last edited by billnorman1; 02-18-2020 at 11:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by smp005 View Post
    Used to watch our B-52s crab all the time. Just another day on the job for those guys... I would expect no different for an A380, I'm sure it has crabbing capability...
    B-52’s are designed to land in a crab, the gear casters, most transport aircraft are not. They may be certified to land in a crab with a certain amount of crosswind but we don’t land that way, at least most don’t. If we do land in a crab the x-wind limitation is much less, at least on most aircraft it is.

I don’t know anything about the 380 and it’s limits but it didn’t look like to me he adjusted with rudder right before touchdown. It looked like they did a great job until the last ten feet or so, crab got way worse then he didn’t kick in the rudder until after touchdown. Maybe it’s designed to land that way but I highly doubt it. Pilots land every day and passengers think it was great, especially if it was smooth, when in fact it wasn’t a good landing by our limitations and company/FAA procedures.

If passengers only knew half of what really happens, I can’t even believe what happens a lot of the time. Unfortunately the pilots being hired today aren’t what they used to be, neither are the standards. Can’t fire anyone, everyone gets a job. It’s out of control.
    Last edited by C130; 02-18-2020 at 10:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    No I never flew an aircraft just worked on them. Started with BUFF's ended with Republic F-105's, the THUD.
    It was rumored if you build a runway around the world, Republic would build an aircraft that needed every inch of it.

A member of the Takhli Instant Swimming Hole Company, 1066-67.
    OK thank you, it was obvious you knew alot about planes

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast