Excel BayPro 230 / Yamaha SHO 200 Prop

This is my first post, but I've been reading this site extensively for the last few months as I have been out of the boat game for a long time. Tons of great information. My wife and I just bought an Excel Bay Pro 230 with a Yamaha VMAX 200 SHO for freshwater fishing in FL and TN. We're taking it out on a lake for the first time tomorrow. After getting through the first couple of break-in hours I'm hoping to let it stretch out and see the top speed. It currently has a PowerTech PTZ3 prop which is 18 pitch and 14 1/4 inch diameter with 3 blades. Does that sound appropriate? Some of my reading makes me think not. It appears that PowerTech props are not held in high regard as well. What sort of base line tests should I run before messing with the prop? Thanks!

-Scott

2. Member
    My Xpress X19 with 200 SHO came with a Powertech vmx3 prop. While most Xpress guys hate Powertech, I don’t. It’s not the fastest prop but it has some things I like about it... Not sure about your Excel but most setups with SHO’s like a little bigger diameter prop than you have right now. I really like my 24p Yamaha Vmax SHO prop. You’re going to want to stretch her out though, and see what your maximum RPM’s are so you can get a baseline of where you need to go. By the way, make sure your turning 5900-6000 rpm or it will make oil

3. Member
    Thank you for the input. Everything I have read leads me to believe that I should have a bigger diameter/higher pitch prop then I have. I have read a bunch on the Xpress forums as they seem pretty similar to our Excel hoping to learn more. I've read about this "making oil" issue which also has me concerned. I'm hoping after tomorrow's voyage that I'll have a baseline to know what, if anything I need to change in regards to the propeller.

-Scott

4. Member
    “Oil making” had me concerned too, especially when it made oil. I found out I was over propped and my SHO wasn’t turning enough RPM. So making you aren’t over propped is a step in the right direction with oil making. Good luck!

5. Member
    So we went out yesterday for it's break in. I followed Yamaha's procedure pretty closely. Put about 4 hours on the motor. I made it to 5300 rpm but might have been able to get more out of it with more trim/jackplate adjustment. I got about 52 mph out of it while trying to make adjustments. I'll have to try it again before determining any prop improvements/adjustments. It made oil- smells like gas. I know it needs to get real close to 6000 rpm to avoid "making oil" and 5 minutes at a time (per Yamaha) at the rpm's I was running probably won't cut it. I'll keep trying...

-Scott