Upland birds in East Tennessee?

Was wondering if there are any huntable populations of upland birds in East Tennessee. I am going to relocate to the area hopefully this year and would like to get my Drahthaars out for a little bird hunting.

2. Member
    Very limited supply of grouse in upper east tn, although they are making a little comeback. Also, there are a few quail a little further west, but not enough to keep your dogs sharp. Best option is to raise birds or work with a group that does. Hunting in East TN is not great but you can make it what you want. There is some decent dove hunting. It's a great place to live.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by foolinbass View Post
    Very limited supply of grouse in upper east tn, although they are making a little comeback. Also, there are a few quail a little further west, but not enough to keep your dogs sharp. Best option is to raise birds or work with a group that does. Hunting in East TN is not great but you can make it what you want. There is some decent dove hunting. It's a great place to live.
    I second these comments....pretty spot on. Thirty years ago there was good grouse and quail hunting both. Not sure why the downfall in these animals since then but I personally believe since the wild turkeys have heavily populated the last few decades that they basically ran the others out. Not literally of course, but in a sense of competing for the same food. A flock of 40-50 turkeys can wreak havoc on a property.

4. Member
    Over the last 8 years I have bought about 400 pen raised quail for our 100 acre farm. Trying to get a covey established but so far no luck. Have plenty of turkeys and coyotes. I have read numerous articles about others trying to establish coveys using pen raised birds. No one has figured out the magic formula yet. These birds are flight conditioned and do a decent job of flushing but not as near as strong as wild birds.