Champion vs Charger for those in the know...

So what are advantages and disadvantages of the Charger "Champion" takeoffs? In everyone's honest opinion who have some experience with both is the Charger boats out of the Champ molds the real deal?
    MAKING DONATIONS TO GREAT FISHERMAN EVERY WEEKEND
    2005 CHAMPION 188 ELITE

2. Pat Goff
    I don't see any disadvantages. They know what they're doing.
    Don't forget the Cat 203 hybrid, which would be on my short list too, champ 203 hull melded to a modern cat cap.
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>

no disadvantages at all. its made for those that want a champ hull in a new boat. they will be adding 203 in fall and 223 will be next

4. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    I like the pump access on the Charger over the Champion. I don't like the inboard foot block on the passenger side. If you remove the passenger console, you have that big foot rest sticking out in the middle of the floor to trip over. I don't know if you can get a 12" graph in the dash on the Charger, but figure you can get a 9". My Champion is maxed out with a HDS-7. Other than that, they are splashed hulls, so 100% Champion running surface. If I was shopping, I'd also give the Cat hybrid an honest look, like Pat.

5. Member
    Only disadvantage is the cost of a new boat.
    Kevin | 2000 Champion 19​1 | 2000 Yamaha OX66 200hp

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 1bluemcm View Post
    Only disadvantage is the cost of a new boat.
    This^^^^ for that price point I'm looking at something else. Can get a bare 223 Ballistic with a 250 cheaper I can add extras later as I can afford them.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jarhead175 View Post
    This^^^^ for that price point I'm looking at something else. Can get a bare 223 Ballistic with a 250 cheaper I can add extras later as I can afford them.
    I kind of meant relative to a good used Champion in order to keep it an apples to apples comparison, but yeah, if brand is taken out of the question then there are a lot of options. But if you want a new "Champion", options are limited to day the least. Even restoring an original Champ to something akin to new could be a lot less than a new Charger or Cat hybrid, but there's time, effort and expense there to consider. And it gets much less cost effective if it needs major work.
    Kevin | 2000 Champion 19​1 | 2000 Yamaha OX66 200hp

8. Kansas Bass Club Moderator
    If I were going to buy a new boat I’d go get a charger 198 hands down.

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 1bluemcm View Post
    I kind of meant relative to a good used Champion in order to keep it an apples to apples comparison, but yeah, if brand is taken out of the question then there are a lot of options. But if you want a new "Champion", options are limited to day the least. Even restoring an original Champ to something akin to new could be a lot less than a new Charger or Cat hybrid, but there's time, effort and expense there to consider. And it gets much less cost effective if it needs major work.
    Then I would find a Champion you want and put the money into it. Either way your going to have a Champ hull but one is a lot cheaper than the other.

10. Member
    As I've said before, you can't keep a good hull down.
    GETFISHED !!!

11. Member
    Charger made a lot of improvements to the 210 and 198 below the skin. When I went to the factory in December, Jim Hughes pointed out a lot of things that they did that just made sense. I am sure Kelly Power had a lot to say in this too, but Charger has been building rock solid boats for a long time.

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by wishitwasbigger View Post
    Charger made a lot of improvements to the 210 and 198 below the skin. When I went to the factory in December, Jim Hughes pointed out a lot of things that they did that just made sense. I am sure Kelly Power had a lot to say in this too, but Charger has been building rock solid boats for a long time.
    Can you go in-depth on the improvements? Or if somebody knows of good walk through vid of the manufacture process, that'd work too. thanks

13. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Just saw this on the Charger forum regarding the 203. I may need to start playing the Lotto ...

Quote Originally Posted by TOUCH OF CLASS View Post
    The 203 will be sweet it’s going to have the original hull and a very updated top cap .210 console and layout.After seeing it I do believe it will be a big hit .They are thinking maybe fall to winter to be done if this corona doesn’t stop every thing first

14. Member
    So it is good news sounds like. Said it before that ya can't keep a good hull down. I wonder how the boat will do with one of the new 4 strokes and a set of powerpoles. You think and design tweaks were implemented with this in mind ? I wonder what the fuel tank location will be ?
    GETFISHED !!!

15. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    I had heard they were looking for a later boat with the tank mid ship when they started this project.

16. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    Yes it will have forward tank and more flotation ,they were straightening the running surface but it’s almost ready to build a mold!

17. TJNYSNP
    Will the 203 deck be wider ? I fish in major river systems like St. Lawrence and Hudson... when the boat traffic is really moving.... the 203 feels like a canoe sometimes... easy to fall off... narrow.

Will the 203 charger be wider on front deck ?

Glad to hear someone picked up the beauty of the hull design of a champion

18. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    It will be a 203, if you want a wider deck, the 198, 210 and Bass Cat's 203 hybrid are all wider.