Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Changed reeds today, now what!!

Okay, 2002 200 efi down draft model with the 2 hose side mounted oil pump.
    Before I start it up is their a procedure that I can do too make sure their isn’t an air in the hoses? No oil or fuel drained from the system. Advice please

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Please take a moment to review the Forum Announcements and provide the Required Info when posting. Thanks!

Oil Pump Prime is the appropriate method, it's done with the Computer Diagnostic System.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Please take a moment to review the Forum Announcements and provide the Required Info when posting. Thanks!

Oil Pump Prime is the appropriate method, it's done with the Computer Diagnostic System.
    OT587350, I purchased the reeds from you along with the gaskets last week. I have no way of doing the oil pump prime by CDS, surely their is a different way. I did not loose any fuel or oil from the lines. Can I just loosen up the cap on the small tank on motor to purge any air? Maybe drain fuel pump an then pump it full of premix an start it an idle motor for a little bit. I really don’t want to take it to a shop.

4. Member
    seems to me you could squirt a few shots of 2 stroke oil in the vst,or run it on another tank with premix for a minute.I do wonder if you were to pull the plugs and turn it over with lanyard pulled if the oil injection pump still spins it seems like it would.or leave plugs in and spin it over with lanyard pulled.just a theory

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sleeper bird View Post
    seems to me you could squirt a few shots of 2 stroke oil in the vst,or run it on another tank with premix for a minute.I do wonder if you were to pull the plugs and turn it over with lanyard pulled if the oil injection pump still spins it seems like it would.or leave plugs in and spin it over with lanyard pulled.just a theory
    Yes you would think so, CDS can’t be the only way. It’s not like it’s a new start up.

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    While you could premix, or add oil- that doesn't address the possibility of any air in the system (at all). You then have to wonder "how long is long enough".

Oil pump is ELECTRONIC on this engine, so spinning the engine with the lanyard off does nothing but spin the starter.

There is a break-in Reset procedure, but you absolutely wouldn't want to go there as it runs double oil until a break-in run-time counter has run down (only under specific conditions).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    While you could premix, or add oil- that doesn't address the possibility of any air in the system (at all). You then have to wonder "how long is long enough".

Oil pump is ELECTRONIC on this engine, so spinning the engine with the lanyard off does nothing but spin the starter.

There is a break-in Reset procedure, but you absolutely wouldn't want to go there as it runs double oil until a break-in run-time counter has run down (only under specific conditions).
    well, I think I will put oil in my fuel tank, an run it like it didn’t have the Oil pump on it. That would be double oiling it I know but for only 10 gals or so, an if I loosen cap on the motor mounted tank an it pushes out then I know it’s pumping oil. I’m don’t have the time to try an get it into a shop this week, (High school fishing this weekend) I’ll drain the vst pump an pump bulb til I get mixed gas to it. Thoughts on this.

8. Member
    funny thing here is i know iv seen several people on here replace their engine tank from cracks or from sticking level floats,with that you open the system and im pretty sure they had to prime system as well.

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullred
    an if I loosen cap on the motor mounted tank an it pushes out then I know it’s pumping oil.
    Not trying to be difficult here- as it is your engine. ^^^^ That does NOT tell you it is pumping oil. That merely tells you it is pushing oil to the Engine Mounted Tank.

If you did not disturb ANY oil line, OR the VST, then yes- priming with premix would (theoretically) allow you to run double-oil for a short period and make sure you were using oil. It is, however, not the RIGHT way, nor is it the "safe" way.

Hope this helps.

10. Member
    This computer oil pump prime really throws a wrench in the works for a diy guy , a guy that's completely capable of doing the work but need computer to prime the oil? , that's kinda making u take it to a shop no matter what ,
    But as long as oil in fuel (premixed) and in vst it should b fine and pump out any air that mite b in there ,

11. Member
    wouldn't there be an alarm set off if it was not oiling?

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    wouldn't there be an alarm set off if it was not oiling?
    No- there are no "flo sensors" for oil.

The PCM can set a fault for an OPEN or SHORT circuit condition to the pump, or for a Low Oil Level in the engine mounted tank. That is all.

BTW... for the "serious" DIY'er there are a few options in terms of Diagnostic Software (such as Diacom).

13. Member
    No- there are no "flo sensors" for oil.

The PCM can set a fault for an OPEN or SHORT circuit condition to the pump, or for a Low Oil Level in the engine mounted tank. That is all.

BTW... for the "serious" DIY'er there are a few options in terms of Diagnostic Software (such as Diacom).
    I believe I checked into that diagnostic set up awhile back an if I recall it was not cheap.
    I took the two oil lines off the front of pump that’s all didn’t mess with the vst pump.
    niw just for the sake of it if it premix my fuel an start motor what indication do I need to look for to make sure the oil pump is pumping? Can’t I leave the small cap loose an purge it that way.

14. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    The oil pump is controlled in "counts" by the PCM. It is essentially an "off-on-off" device, and running conditions, RPM, load, speed at which you are accelerating are all VARIABLES the the PCM uses to add oil or control the "on" signals of the pump.

If you disconnected the two oil lines from the pump, you did introduce air. How much? No way for me to know, but there was exposure.

On your EFI, you would not "blow" the powerhead as long as you're providing 50:1 mix to the engine. This is NOT, however, the correct, or Mercury-Approved method.

Any diagnostic software is an investment... for some it's simply not justified financially.

That being said- the Oil Pump Prime is, LITERALLY, something that's done completely (start to finish) in 5 minutes or less. That's the amount of actual "work" time a knowledgeable tech would spend to properly perform an oil pump prime.

Only you can decide for yourself if it's really worth the risk of not doing it the "right" way.

15. Member
    Well, I finally got around to mixing oil in fuel an the vst. I started the motor an let it idle for 15 mins or so, also I cracked the cap oil the small oil reservoir an I watched the oil fill i I p the tank (1/2”) or so, so I believe it is doing it’s job. Will be taking it to the lake tomorrow to see how it does with carbon reeds

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullred View Post
    Well, I finally got around to mixing oil in fuel an the vst. I started the motor an let it idle for 15 mins or so, also I cracked the cap oil the small oil reservoir an I watched the oil fill i I p the tank (1/2”) or so, so I believe it is doing it’s job. Will be taking it to the lake tomorrow to see how it does with carbon reeds
    Well I ran the boat this past weekend with the new reeds, I really couldn’t tell any improvement in my hole shot, I really didn’t see any gains in performance at all. It may idle a little better (maybe) The reed flutter around 3500 rpms or so wasn’t as noticeable. My top speed was 2 miles per hour slower, from 76 to 74.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullred View Post
    Well I ran the boat this past weekend with the new reeds, I really couldn’t tell any improvement in my hole shot, I really didn’t see any gains in performance at all. It may idle a little better (maybe) The reed flutter around 3500 rpms or so wasn’t as noticeable. My top speed was 2 miles per hour slower, from 76 to 74.
    Yeah this seems to happen alot with plastic reeds, but they will "loosen" up a little and u will get ur rpm (mph) back ,, reeds r a safety insurance not a performance upgrade imo ,,,

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Merc2.4 View Post
    Yeah this seems to happen alot with plastic reeds, but they will "loosen" up a little and u will get ur rpm (mph) back ,, reeds r a safety insurance not a performance upgrade imo ,,,
    It’s not a big issue, but I wasn’t expecting to loose anything on top end, wasn’t really thinking I’d gain any speed(realistically)
    I really was wanting the low end to be a little better for hole shot. Like you said maybe they will loosen up some.

19. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Shouldn't have seen any loss in top end. Recommend checking the throttle linkage to make sure you are actually reaching WOT position (also check your plugs if you didn't replace them).

Normally you will see a smoother idle, better mid-range performance, and NO change in top end.

20. Member
    Shouldn't have seen any loss in top end. Recommend checking the throttle linkage to make sure you are actually reaching WOT position (also check your plugs if you didn't replace them).

Normally you will see a smoother idle, better mid-range performance, and NO change in top end.
    It is opening up! I made sure of that for sure. The plugs I haven’t changed yet but that’ll be done before I get on water again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast