Should restore my 488vs?

I have a 97 488vs and trying to decide if I should fix it up or just buy a newer boat. It needs new carpet, gel coat is pretty rough, and it's got some electrical issues (gauges don't work). It was also repowered with a 95 200 xri and it seems fine but does have issues starting at times.

I also want to upgrade electronics, trolling motor and add power poles. Just not sure if it's worth dumping money into an older boat.

I’m to the opinion if you like the boat restore it. If not buy what you want

3. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    IMO that’s a six of one, half-dozen of the other question. Any of the upgrades you install will depreciate more quickly [as a return on investment] on a rig of that age, but if you buy a newer rig, the hull/engine/trailer will also depreciate [much] more quickly than your current boat. At the end of the day, enjoying nicer/newer equipment is always expensive; whether that’s worth it to you depends on several factors. Doesn’t sound like your boat in its current condition is very satisfactory to you, and the kinds of problems you have mentioned are not only expensive to fix—especially if you have them done expertly—but also unlikely to generate a good rate of return if you do them and then decide to get a new rig in a year or three. It’s your money. Which route would make you happiest?
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

Restoring an old boat is similar to restoring old cars. Only do it if you enjoy doing the work yourself and you have the time, place, tools, know how, and money to complete it. If you plan to hire it out, don't do it unless there is something special about the boat that justifies having more into it than it's worth. The other option is to just enjoy it as is and keep the money in your pocket. As long as you can get the mechanical parts running good, the fish could not care less about what year it is or what it looks like.

5. Member
    I miss my 99 518. But like you by the time I put in the upgrades that you mention, as I wanted also including a motor upgrade it was 75% cost of a new, bigger rig. So I went with a 18 520l. I don't regret it because I loaded it up with all the best toys. But I still think about my old 99 sometimes. Price it out with all the best stuff you want and then make a decision. Best of luck!

6. Member
    If the gel coat is ruff and your not going to have a professional restore on it I would not. Who wants a awesome engine, carpet, and electronics on something that does not look good.

Or do what we did, bought a used boat in our price range and used it for ten great years and now just bought a newer used boat and hope to get ten years out of it. I look at it this way, figure out how much you want to spend and find a used one in that price range. Lots of people looking to buy a brand new boat so you can find a great deal on a used one that has already went through it largest depreciation phase. Our Ranger we picked up is in 90% showroom condition with upgraded electronics.

8. Member
    I'd sit down and run a realistic spreadsheet on the total cost you're looking at first for all work to see if it even remotely makes sense. I love doing restore work and have completed several cars, two boats and even a Gravely Tractor. But it's real easy to "go down the rabbit hole" on these projects and end up way upside down financially. There are a ton of good used rangers for sale out there with the occasional sweet cherry (as in one owner, low hours at a great price) mixed in if you take your time looking. The one real positive here is the 488 was one of Ranger's better hulls and they're harder to find now.
    2006 Ranger Z20 / 225HP Merc Pro XS

9. Member
    Sounds like everything you want to "up-grade" it with can come off and travel to a newer rig if you ever made a change. If the hull is solid it looks just to be a bunch of cosmetic work with just a little mechanical. Why not keep it!

10. Member
    It all comes down to budget.
    1997 Ranger 692VS
    2014 Mercury 175 Pro XS 2B111166

Those old VS hull Rangers were my favorite......I wish I had kept mine.....I prefer a single console and would love a 487vs or 491vs fixed up and given the prices of new ones it may make good financial sense providing the hull and transom are in good shape....

I still smile every time I see one on the lake.........if you restore it you may run into me at a ramp drooling over it.....

12. Member
    Look up my buddy on FB. He can fix you up. Stricks Marine Plus + Wheelersburg, Ohio

13. Member
    At the end of last season I saw a fully restored 488 with new electrons , tm , and Pp. he paid $5 k for the boat and put $15 k in on the boat. I will tell you I was amazed that he was fishing in a boat that nice for $20 k . He also put money in the trailer and had sharp black rims . It was really nice!!

14. Scraps
    Watching the Renegade series, there's a team of guys that fish out of a good condition 487. Upgraded with new electronics, troller and a new motor. Looked to be in great shape. The 487 to me was before it's time and would compete with the BCB Panteras and all the other 19 footers of today.

I don't know if Ranger, or anyone else, would take a boat and upgrade it as you like. A ton of work and lost fishing time upgrading an older rig.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD