Banned

Help please, hopefully simple.

2005 mercury pro XS serial #1B119184

While heading in today I got a series of beeps, some solid and short. Checked the code on my VVM and it faulted a “top oil tank not full”, pulled the cowling and it was full. Tried to silence & block the code but it keeps coming back. Motor seems to have gone into guardian, or it has a loss of power at WOT anyways.

Got back home and the top tank is full to the top.

Could it be that little sensor in that tank? Nearest mechanic is 2 hours away and I’d rather not take it too town if I can get the part from Don/Rhonda.

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Seldom does the "sensor only" resolve a low oil warning- it is most commonly caused by the float in the tank. Double check that fault name on your Vessel View Mobile (top oil tank is not a normal verbiage).

For testing only- you can disconnect the sensor and jumper between the two pins on the HARNESS side (which would send a "full tank" signal to the PCM).

Results Match: Replace tank and sensor, have Oil Pump Prime Sequence run on the Computer Diagnostic System.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Banned
    Thank you sir, guess she’ll be making a trip to the big city.